The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Who's going to Abertay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by THESHade
That is sad... However, I was also told by HR that you can do it when your schedule allows it. Maybe u can ask them if you are allowed to go to lectures, workshops etc. and u just won`t get accredited or if you can`t attend at all
cheers

You can just walk into a lecture if you want, no one will say anything. However you won't get recognition for it, and the students supposed to be in the lecture will look at you weird lol.
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 281
Original post by ThatEmoKid
You can just walk into a lecture if you want, no one will say anything. However you won't get recognition for it, and the students supposed to be in the lecture will look at you weird lol.

Those ones aren`t usually there in my short experience :biggrin:
Those ones aren`t usually there in my short experience :biggrin:

Haha very true! I barely attended any of mine lol, I only managed to go to every lecture in a week twice this year x)
Can I ask, is anyone who's going to be starting Abertay this year attending the "Preparation for University" day near the end of this month? I got a letter in the post, and unsure whether to go or not. Do you think it's worth it?
Reply 284
IMO: If it`s not an inconvenience and u r going there straight from High School then I guess u should go so you won`t get a huge shock. But what do I know as I am not rly familiar with UK edu system. So if u don`t live in Aberdeen or smth like that, why the hell not to go, at worst you will have a tour aroudn the city (assuming you haven`t been there before or you haven`t seen much) Maybe you can even have a look at accommodation, etc.
Cliffs: Worth a visit, in worst case, you will do soemthing else during the day :biggrin:
Original post by Chrisruptor
Can I ask, is anyone who's going to be starting Abertay this year attending the "Preparation for University" day near the end of this month? I got a letter in the post, and unsure whether to go or not. Do you think it's worth it?

I also got a letter about the prep day. I'm going as you get to meet your tutors and some of the other students. so I thought it would be good to go and get to know some of the folk on my course and some of the lectures and see where it is i'll be studying, looking forward to it myself :biggrin:

Hey Chris :smile: I found it really useful for CA cause you get to meet your tutors and coursemates, and learn about the structure of first year, before you actually begin. There are information packs and stuff that are pretty useful too!

No big deal if you can't go as all the same stuff is covered in Freshers week, but I enjoyed it xD
Original post by Mochrie_Rules
I also got a letter about the prep day. I'm going as you get to meet your tutors and some of the other students. so I thought it would be good to go and get to know some of the folk on my course and some of the lectures and see where it is i'll be studying, looking forward to it myself :biggrin:

Oh cool! What course are you going to be doing? :smile:
Reply 288

I'm going, but i only put myself down for a couple of the options. What about yourself?

And to anyone who did this thing previously, is it worth just doing them all or just the ones here you tour the part of the uni you are studying in and the tutors of your course?
Oh cool! What course are you going to be doing? :smile:

Computer games technology. What about yourself?
Original post by Bradalee
I'm going, but i only put myself down for a couple of the options. What about yourself?

And to anyone who did this thing previously, is it worth just doing them all or just the ones here you tour the part of the uni you are studying in and the tutors of your course?

I'm still to apply for it. Think I might go for "Studying at Abertay", "Learning more about your course", "Introducing the Library", "Good mental health", and "Surviving your first year". Anyone else putting down for these?

Computer games technology. What about yourself?

I'm doing Computer Arts! So I'll probably bump into you when we're at university. :smile:
I've put down for Studying at abertay, Learning more about your course, introduction to the library, managing life, work, family life and more and surviving your first year
I've put down for Studying at abertay, Learning more about your course, introduction to the library, managing life, work, family life and more and surviving your first year

Ooooh. More or less the same as me then! I was looking at the Manging life work and family life one, but then realised it was aimed at mature students, so wouldn't apply to me.

EDIT: Has anyone else had problems booking it? I've ticked all the boxes three times, filled out the other info and submitted it, yet each time it tells me "Thank you for applying for the Preparing for University Day. Please click the "Refresh" button to see your booking." I refresh, and then all the form I filled in is wiped... Agh...
(edited 11 years ago)
Ooooh. More or less the same as me then! I was looking at the Manging life work and family life one, but then realised it was aimed at mature students, so wouldn't apply to me.

EDIT: Has anyone else had problems booking it? I've ticked all the boxes three times, filled out the other info and submitted it, yet each time it tells me "Thank you for applying for the Preparing for University Day. Please click the "Refresh" button to see your booking." I refresh, and then all the form I filled in is wiped... Agh...

yea that happened to me. Just got of the phone and they said that my place had been booked. Maybe you should phone and check as well just to make sure its went through.

I'm a mature student kinda, gosh makes me sound old. lol
yea that happened to me. Just got of the phone and they said that my place had been booked. Maybe you should phone and check as well just to make sure its went through.

Hmmm... Did they give you any info about it? Like where you're supposed to go to start with and what time, etc?
Hmmm... Did they give you any info about it? Like where you're supposed to go to start with and what time, etc?

No they hung up on me before I could say anything else. I'm just gonna go to the main desk and have them point me in th eright direction plus its possilbe that they will have the place decked out with this 'way signs',
It starts at 10 but probably should arrive about 15 mins in advance.
Reply 296
Abertay has 2 buildings, you will find your way in :smile: No worries

I just emailed them and got a reply back saying they got my booking. Now I'm probably going to end up getting lost.
Reply 298
I just emailed them and got a reply back saying they got my booking. Now I'm probably going to end up getting lost.

Can`t get lost in Dundee, true story.
Can`t get lost in Dundee, true story.

Aye you can. :P I'm there all the time. It's fine when it's the city centre, but once you go further out then it can be hard finding your way to places if you've never really ventured that far before, especially with all those streets and if you don't know the route. (Yeah, don't have a smartphone).

Quick Reply

Latest