The Student Room Group

Undergrad biomed - advice needed (Scotland)

I am trying to decide what universities to choose. So far I have Edinburgh (UoE), Strathclyde and Caledonian (both in Glasgow).

I want to choose one from Aberdeen (UoA or RGU) and one from Dundee (UoD or Abertay). Just looking for some insight from people currently studying or have previously studied at any of these universities.

I am also trying to decide whether the reputation of the uni itself or having IBMS accreditation is better. For example, Edinburgh has a great reputation but no IBMS accreditation currently.
Reply 1
IBMS accreditation isnt 'required'.
Its just another 'badge' that some Unis put on their website.
It certainly doesnt make any course better or more desirable just because of that.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
IBMS accreditation isnt 'required'.
Its just another 'badge' that some Unis put on their website.
It certainly doesnt make any course better or more desirable just because of that.

Yes, I knew it wasn't required but it is if you want to work in the NHS for HCPC registration, and from my research it is an internationally recognised accreditation.
Original post by Benc28
I am trying to decide what universities to choose. So far I have Edinburgh (UoE), Strathclyde and Caledonian (both in Glasgow).

I want to choose one from Aberdeen (UoA or RGU) and one from Dundee (UoD or Abertay). Just looking for some insight from people currently studying or have previously studied at any of these universities.

I am also trying to decide whether the reputation of the uni itself or having IBMS accreditation is better. For example, Edinburgh has a great reputation but no IBMS accreditation currently.

What do you want to do with the degree? If you want to be a Biomedical Scientist, then you need an IBMS accredited degree to complete the registration portfolio and register with the HCPC (or to pay out of your own funds to do top up modules - that could easily cost £5k).

If you don't want to be a BMS in healthcare, then it doesn't matter and you should look at the content of the course and how it matches with your career plans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending