The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Original post by hhforever
Agree with Narev, juz get over it. =/

i thought i did. i never came back to this forum until i had to send my friends off soon...
Original post by hhforever
Well only 2, the main is at goodman rd(Tj Katong there) adn the branch is at yishun.

Haha well, i am not really close to him, hardly know him, only met in a music exchange for a few days. Small world indeed in Singapore.

Ahhh, small world!
Reply 3862
Original post by Irenicis
exactly...I'm damn depressed now. I think when i go send my friends off i'll be even more so...

Consider taking a gap year and reapplying, esp if it's possible to spend that gap year working in a career you wish to pursue. Looking at my SMU/NTU/NUS friends I can confidently say that UK students get more 'recognition' for significantly less work: No project work/class participation, longer holidays, better options in securing a grad role out of Singapore. First class is much easier to get in the UK too, with at least 90% of all lse first year econ students (my batch) securing a first. There's no bell curve and hence less stress. I wouldn't say that a 6month exchange will give the same kind of 'overseas experience'.

If you do intend to reapply I can help you with your PS, considering that my A level grades are worse than yours and I didn't have any CCA/achievements, LSE looks for very specific things in their PS-es.
Reply 3863
just curious, anyone manage to secure additional weight allowance for checked in luggage via British Airways?
Original post by redsgal
just curious, anyone manage to secure additional weight allowance for checked in luggage via British Airways?

You're taking BA too??

I didn't secure it tho but I hear BA is really strict with their 23KG rule!
Reply 3865
Original post by Lemonique
You're taking BA too??

I didn't secure it tho but I hear BA is really strict with their 23KG rule!

oh that kinda sucks, anyway i bought the extra baggage for safety sake. Worst case is probably DHL some of the stuff over. Packing my bag now, my non-clothes items already occupied half of the big luggage lol.
Reply 3866
Original post by wqliu90
Consider taking a gap year and reapplying, esp if it's possible to spend that gap year working in a career you wish to pursue. Looking at my SMU/NTU/NUS friends I can confidently say that UK students get more 'recognition' for significantly less work: No project work/class participation, longer holidays, better options in securing a grad role out of Singapore. First class is much easier to get in the UK too, with at least 90% of all lse first year econ students (my batch) securing a first. There's no bell curve and hence less stress. I wouldn't say that a 6month exchange will give the same kind of 'overseas experience'.

If you do intend to reapply I can help you with your PS, considering that my A level grades are worse than yours and I didn't have any CCA/achievements, LSE looks for very specific things in their PS-es.

sian i can't....i've already started school

it's all over. i less recognition for more work :frown:

although i cant apply already, mind sharing with me your PS?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redsgal
oh that kinda sucks, anyway i bought the extra baggage for safety sake. Worst case is probably DHL some of the stuff over. Packing my bag now, my non-clothes items already occupied half of the big luggage lol.

Perhaps you can get some stuff there!!!!

Oh and another thing is, one person = one luggage, if I recall! (check this out!)
Original post by Lemonique
Perhaps you can get some stuff there!!!!

Oh and another thing is, one person = one luggage, if I recall! (check this out!)

Yes it is strictly one person to one luggage, I already took BA last week. I exceeded by abit ~24kg and they didn't mind. But it's better to stick close to the 23kg limit, also you should check in at least 2+hours earlier.
i thought i did. i never came back to this forum until i had to send my friends off soon...

If you really want the experience you can do your masters there? :smile:
Reply 3870
Original post by Metastasis
If you really want the experience you can do your masters there? :smile:

perhaps. But i'll need to get a job first and the degree matters. and well, masters is different from a degree cos all your coursemates are a very different group of people. so the experience is not there...
I never understood why Singaporeans enjoyed shopping so much until I realised that all the shops have air conditioning!

Also, month day since I arrived in Singapore and only one sunburn thus far :awesome:
Reply 3872
Original post by GingerGoat
I never understood why Singaporeans enjoyed shopping so much until I realised that all the shops have air conditioning!

Also, month day since I arrived in Singapore and only one sunburn thus far :awesome:

HAHA yea! Just walk around the shopping malls for the air conditioning, it's free!
Is anyone following his/her university's freshers page on facebook?

I have been reading through it today, and I realized that everybody seems so eager to get drunk/wasted at some random club. In fact, the conversation goes anywhere from how to hide three hipflasks around the boobs into a club, to complaining about the extortionate price of 4 pound-wines (although I would imagine the correct terminology is horse-piss than wine), and organizing pre-freshers (Yes, you've certainly read it right.... not even pre-drinks sessions for freshers, but pre-freshers where people get smashed in advance of future wasted sessions).

Now, given my background, I would consider myself as not an avid or regular clubber in Singapore, but definitely someone who knows how to pop bottles, knows his way around, and knows how to keep his drinks down. So am I the only one who's a little concerned about these "freshers"? :colondollar:

PS: The duration of this "freshers" is another matter..... mine goes from Sunday night (23rd) till Tuesday night on the week after (2nd), with a single day of rest -- 1st of Oct. Just out of curiosity, do people actually live to tell the tale afterwards?
Reply 3874
For most of them, it's when they first reach 18 years old...where alcohol is available to them. So they drink..... (and drink and drink). It's also the first time they're away from home too. So this is the opportunity for them to go wild.

Plus, alcohol is amazingly cheap in the UK - it's cheaper than the US.
Original post by wqliu90
Looking at my SMU/NTU/NUS friends I can confidently say that UK students get more 'recognition' for significantly less work: No project work/class participation, longer holidays, better options in securing a grad role out of Singapore. First class is much easier to get in the UK too, with at least 90% of all lse first year econ students (my batch) securing a first. There's no bell curve and hence less stress.

Well said. This is very true.

sian i can't....i've already started school
it's all over. i less recognition for more work :frown:

Apply for transfer after your first year? Better late than never.

Don't count on going overseas for your masters. Imho, the grading curve in SMU/NTU/NUS is too harsh which puts you at a disadvantage when you are applying for grad school. UK schools (and other countries too) give out much more 1s and 2.1s than in SMU/NTU/NUS.
Original post by Narev
For most of them, it's when they first reach 18 years old...where alcohol is available to them. So they drink..... (and drink and drink). It's also the first time they're away from home too. So this is the opportunity for them to go wild.

This is definitely not true... Frat parties in the States are usually free with unlimited horse-piss (though perhaps horse piss might actually taste better if you add the gas and water like they do to beer):tongue:

And an American "measure" is 40 or 45mL, compared to the English, which is 25mL?

Either way, I am just stunned by the fact that they are already planning to get wasted.... it's one thing to end up drunk, but another to plan to be! :redface:
Reply 3877
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Is anyone following his/her university's freshers page on facebook?

I have been reading through it today, and I realized that everybody seems so eager to get drunk/wasted at some random club. In fact, the conversation goes anywhere from how to hide three hipflasks around the boobs into a club, to complaining about the extortionate price of 4 pound-wines (although I would imagine the correct terminology is horse-piss than wine), and organizing pre-freshers (Yes, you've certainly read it right.... not even pre-drinks sessions for freshers, but pre-freshers where people get smashed in advance of future wasted sessions).

Now, given my background, I would consider myself as not an avid or regular clubber in Singapore, but definitely someone who knows how to pop bottles, knows his way around, and knows how to keep his drinks down. So am I the only one who's a little concerned about these "freshers"? :colondollar:

PS: The duration of this "freshers" is another matter..... mine goes from Sunday night (23rd) till Tuesday night on the week after (2nd), with a single day of rest -- 1st of Oct. Just out of curiosity, do people actually live to tell the tale afterwards?

Original post by Narev

ofssinfoxes, u just have to agree with narev.
they are all turning 18, and in scotland they are 17 they are excited about adulthood.
i am not a clubbing and party type of person but in order to make friends, u should join at least a few days. especially if the people sharing your flat or kitchen belongs to that type.
i am having freshers week now and its like this.
however, there are people who dont like night life too and they are generally like us, older than the rest and they have had their time of fun. there is another group who prefers to have parties in the hostels. if u are lucky, u would meet them.
depending on which type of person u are and how are the people around u, sometimes its to the extend of cant wait for freshers to be over.
anyway u are in london, higher chances of meeting singaporeans so if u miss home u can probably chat with them. if not, u will hear bunch of languages u dont know and continue to swirl in them, and probably come back to sg knowing another new language.

afterall, good luck to u :smile:
Reply 3878
Original post by ofssinfoxes
This is definitely not true... Frat parties in the States are usually free with unlimited horse-piss (though perhaps horse piss might actually taste better if you add the gas and water like they do to beer):tongue:

And an American "measure" is 40 or 45mL, compared to the English, which is 25mL?

Either way, I am just stunned by the fact that they are already planning to get wasted.... it's one thing to end up drunk, but another to plan to be! :redface:

the alcohol is very cheap in uk as compared to sg. after i got cheered to drink up something which i dont even know what + vodka (a glass in 10 seconds), i dont even want to drink when i am out.
there would be people ending up drunk. wait, its not even drunk, its totally wasted. probably easier to cos they planned to be drunk when they came haha.
Reply 3879
Original post by ClassicJuice
Well said. This is very true.

Apply for transfer after your first year? Better late than never.

Don't count on going overseas for your masters. Imho, the grading curve in SMU/NTU/NUS is too harsh which puts you at a disadvantage when you are applying for grad school. UK schools (and other countries too) give out much more 1s and 2.1s than in SMU/NTU/NUS.

erm...is it possible to transfer directly to 2nd year in UCL or LSE? If yes i may give it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest