The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silentlife
:confused: The voltage is 1.5V - you've stated it... Unless I've read this completely wrong... Don't over think AS physics, especially the electricity section - it's really that easy...

Edit: what's with the simultaneous equations - you're begin to make me question myself...

yeh but i need to calculate the emf and internal resistance?

the simultaneous equations were used when there were two unknowns, which I thought might be the case in this question too
Original post by g.k.galloway
yeh but i need to calculate the emf and internal resistance?

the simultaneous equations were used when there were two unknowns, which I thought might be the case in this question too

EMF is voltage of power supply. The usual formula is:ε=IR+Ir \varepsilon=IR+Ir . Since R is 0 because you've short circuited it and you know that I and ε \varepsilon are 1.5, you can work out internal resistance (r).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by silentlife
EMF is voltage of power supply. The usual formula is:ε=IR+Ir \varepsilon=IR+Ir . Since R is 0 because you've short circuited it and you know the I and ε \varepsilon, you can work out internal resistance (r).

aaaahhh thats how the short circuited bit comes in!!!

I've only been doing physics for four days...I'm a little rusty from GCSE :colondollar:
Original post by justinawe
It's probably normal to be nervous. I don't get nervous easily for some reason... whatever the situation. Even when waiting for exam results, I only get slightly nervous :s-smilie:

Yeah, that is good though, if you can stay like that throughout your life then that is very good!

Original post by mynameisntbobk
First of all, don't freak out. Most of these people will be family or friends, so they won't be judging you. Also, have fun doing it, you're celebrating. You shouldn't really worry, youll adapt to it for sure. I constantly gave speeches last year, so got used to the pressure. Trust me, nothing bad'll happen!

Yeah, I will know some of the people but the thought of 300+ people staring at me while I talk is quite daunting. Still got a week to get ready for it and make myself calm as possible. Were you nervous at first?

Oh yeah, sorry for late reply :wink:
Yeah, I'll look this up tomorrow after school

Ooh, okay :biggrin:

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Original post by Abject Testament
You just check whether the coefficient of the highest power is negative or positive. If it's negative, then you have a negative curve. Like this question, the highest power is x3x^3, the coefficient is positive, therfore the graph of x3+5x2+4xx^3 + 5x^2 + 4x starts and ends in the positive quadrants.
oh thats simple thanks!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ooh, okay :biggrin:

Waterloo road, finishing homework. Eat. Bed. That's tonight for me
Waterloo road, finishing homework. Eat. Bed. That's tonight for me

Same! :tongue: but I've eaten :smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Same! :tongue: but I've eaten :smile:

Already? Wow
Already? Wow

I have a weird timetable :tongue: and I'll probably sleep now :colondollar:

If I apply to Wimbledon college is there some special application form I fill it? Or Do I just fill in "Entry for 2013-2014"? plus getting a bad referrence from my tutor 'cos I been Late ;l etc etc
Reply 7111
2nd offer recieved last night :h:

C in biology from Oxford Brookes :smile:
Original post by lilGem

Congrats again! :biggrin: What were the other unis you applied to?
Reply 7113
Congrats again! :biggrin: What were the other unis you applied to?

UEA
Sheffield
QUB

:crossedf:

thank you :dance:
Original post by lilGem

Congratulations for your second offer, you're doing really well :biggrin: At least you can relax a little now :smile:
Original post by lilGem
UEA
Sheffield
QUB

:crossedf:

thank you :dance:

So I assume you'll be firming Exeter, then? Who's your preferred second choice? :smile:
Reply 7116
Original post by Lucy96
Congratulations for your second offer, you're doing really well :biggrin: At least you can relax a little now :smile:

Thank you :h:

Well mostly, I want to hear back from UEA as they're my second choice :lol:

that said I don't have a panic attack each time I get an e-mail now :colone:
Reply 7117
So I assume you'll be firming Exeter, then? Who's your preferred second choice? :smile:

I will indeed :biggrin:

UEA :yep:
Original post by lilGem
I will indeed :biggrin:

UEA :yep:

Ah. I'm sure you'll get an offer from them too :biggrin:
Reply 7119
Ah. I'm sure you'll get an offer from them too :biggrin:

Exeter is my most competitive choice so :crossedf:

that said UEA are 3rd best in the country for biological sciences :eek2:

Thank you :h: