The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 1 Question Edexcel

What is the difference between bond enthlapy and mean bond enthlapy ?
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
What is the difference between bond enthlapy and mean bond enthlapy ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40765637#post40765637

Thanks, one more question.

When you have an enthlapy change, say exothermic, the enthlapy change is neagtive (on a enthlapy level diagram, the products are of a lower enthlapy and so is neagtive) and is this due to some of the enthlapy being used to create the heat (i.e. exotehrmic) and thus the enthlapy in the system is reduced and so is lower ?
Thanks, one more question.

When you have an enthlapy change, say exothermic, the enthlapy change is neagtive (on a enthlapy level diagram, the products are of a lower enthlapy and so is neagtive) and is this due to some of the enthlapy being used to create the heat (i.e. exotehrmic) and thus the enthlapy in the system is reduced and so is lower ?

E N T H A L P Y

Check out this link on enthalpy ...

The buttons are clickable (interactive)
Original post by charco
E N T H A L P Y

Check out this link on enthalpy ...

The buttons are clickable (interactive)

So some of the enthalpy is transformed to heat and thus lower enthalpy
So some of the enthalpy is transformed to heat and thus lower enthalpy

Yes, you can think of enthalpy as that portion of the internal energy which can be transformed into heat energy (or vice versa)
Original post by charco
Yes, you can think of enthalpy as that portion of the internal energy which can be transformed into heat energy (or vice versa)

Thanks, can you help me with this question please

Formula of substance Standard enthalpy of formation/kJ mol–1
CH4(g) –75
O2(g) 0
CO2(g) –394
H2O(g) –242

The equation for the complete combustion of methane at 150 °C is:
CH4(g) + 2O2(g) CO2(g) + 2H2O(g)
Use the given data to calculate the enthalpy of combustion of methane under these conditions.
Thanks, can you help me with this question please

Formula of substance Standard enthalpy of formation/kJ mol–1
CH4(g) –75
O2(g) 0
CO2(g) –394
H2O(g) –242

The equation for the complete combustion of methane at 150 °C is:
CH4(g) + 2O2(g) CO2(g) + 2H2O(g)
Use the given data to calculate the enthalpy of combustion of methane under these conditions.

I suggest you go through this mini-tutorial on Hess' law, which covers this kind of problem along with other Hess's law calculations:
Original post by charco
I suggest you go through this mini-tutorial on Hess' law, which covers this kind of problem along with other Hess's law calculations:

Hi, there is a calculation error on the 2nd final slide in the example page. It says that -1697 + 1560 = -147 Kjmol when it should be -137 Kjmol
Hi, there is a calculation error on the 2nd final slide in the example page. It says that -1697 + 1560 = -147 Kjmol when it should be -137 Kjmol

:eek:

Thank you for that ... now corrected :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest