The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Resitting GCSEs during gap year for LSE

Hello Friends,

I was considering taking a gap year so that I could resit my GCSEs as they are pretty average:

A* - Maths
A - Science
B - Business Studies
B - Religion
B - English
B - English Literature
B - Additional Science
B - Spanish
C - ICT

I was wondering if I should resit both Sciences, Business Studies, ICT and Spanish as I believe that I can get A* for them.

I intend on doing Accounting & Finance/Economics at prestigious universities like LSE and UCL. But my current GCSE grades aren't so good :frown:

Should I take a gap year to improve the grades so that I can increase my chances to get in?
Reply 1
Are you sure they'll accept gcse resat in your gap year?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I don't think they would accept gap year resits as they prefer qualifications to be completed during the normal school period. However you should e-mail them and ask to make sure whether they can accept and the admissions tutor for Accountancy can give you further advice from there. Also, those GCSE grades aren't even that bad but for a competitive uni like LSE, then it may not be feasible. Also how do you plan to resit these subjects in your gap year? Privately or at school/college?
Dnt do anything for LSE, **** em u dont owe them anything. If u wnt to do something do it for urself.
Reply 4
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
I don't think they would accept gap year resits as they prefer qualifications to be completed during the normal school period. However you should e-mail them and ask to make sure whether they can accept and the admissions tutor for Accountancy can give you further advice from there. Also, those GCSE grades aren't even that bad but for a competitive uni like LSE, then it may not be feasible. Also how do you plan to resit these subjects in your gap year? Privately or at school/college?

I intend on sitting them at school however I am not so sure whether to take this big step :confused:
I currently have offers from Newcastle and Cardiff but I'm more keen on going to the more prestigious uni's which I havent applied as my school were big ***holes and they gave me low predicted grades hence i feared i would get rejected.

Do you reckon it is better to just take a gap year (without resitting GCSEs) and apply with guaranteed high grades as Uni's only look at GCSEs to ensure you are capable of meeting the entry requirements? If I have the grades they shouldn't really look at GCSEs right? :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Youk
Are you sure they'll accept gcse resat in your gap year?

To be honest no
Reply 6
Perhaps I may try my luck with Adjustment to get into Warwick or Bath which are also very good universities. Do you reckon I can get into either one of them with Adjustment?
Original post by Rocky Chainani
I intend on sitting them at school however I am not so sure whether to take this big step :confused:
I currently have offers from Newcastle and Cardiff but I'm more keen on going to the more prestigious uni's which I havent applied as my school were big ***holes and they gave me low predicted grades hence i feared i would get rejected.

Do you reckon it is better to just take a gap year (without resitting GCSEs) and apply with guaranteed high grades as Uni's only look at GCSEs to ensure you are capable of meeting the entry requirements? If I have the grades they shouldn't really look at GCSEs right? :confused:

I would strongly suggest take and accept the offers from either Newcastle and Cardiff, they are both Russel group unis and are highly ranked for Accountancy. However this decision can only be made by you not anyone on
TSR, we can only direct you and not choose but I would recommend you taking what you already have got and that is offers from Newcastle/or Cardiff. Have you visited them, you may like them more and they could attract you to them. Also no GCSE's aren't that important and ALevels certainly carry more weight. Prestigious unis will prefer applicants who gained either industrial experience in their gap year or those who been travelling abroad and developed skills through volunteering in communities etc. It's your decision to make but what do your parents think, are they ok with this? Also your in Sixth Form right? Overall, GCSE's aren't that vital in getting in any uni but for the higher ones like you've mentioned, there is still the worry about whether they will accept the resit's or not. So regarding the matter , you definitely need to email them first to make sure.
Perhaps I may try my luck with Adjustment to get into Warwick or Bath which are also very good universities. Do you reckon I can get into either one of them with Adjustment?

Through Clearing possibly yeah. Bath is so good for Accounting but you must have an A minimum in A2 Maths remember. Warwick is quite competitive to get into though but it all depends on your ALevel grades. They're both top 10 unis but they don't stress as much emphasis on GCSE's. It's a worth a shot yes, but have you also considered Strathclyde, they are 4rth in the league tables for Accounting & Finance.
Reply 9
Through Clearing possibly yeah. Bath is so good for Accounting but you must have an A minimum in A2 Maths remember. Warwick is quite competitive to get into though but it all depends on your ALevel grades. They're both top 10 unis but they don't stress as much emphasis on GCSE's. It's a worth a shot yes, but have you also considered Strathclyde, they are 4rth in the league tables for Accounting & Finance.

Thanks for the advice mate.

btw is this a good a-level combination for top uni's: maths, economics, applied ict and business studies?
Thanks for the advice mate.

btw is this a good a-level combination for top uni's: maths, economics, applied ict and business studies?

No problem. Those ALevels are perfectly fine for Accountancy, they usually don't mind too much about the selection as long as there is Maths. All of those subjects relate to Accounting/Economics reasonably well in their own ways and you have Maths and Econ which are the most important so your subject choices are nothing to worry about. Everything now is dependent on the grades you achieve. Good Luck :smile: for Warwick it's AAA I think, and an A is easy to get in Maths and Business too I assume, so yeh it's reachable but you'll obviously need to aim for the higher marks. Just don't let your GCSE grades be a big burden on you.
No problem. Those ALevels are perfectly fine for Accountancy, they usually don't mind too much about the selection as long as there is Maths. All of those subjects relate to Accounting/Economics reasonably well in their own ways and you have Maths and Econ which are the most important so your subject choices are nothing to worry about. Everything now is dependent on the grades you achieve. Good Luck :smile: for Warwick it's AAA I think, and an A is easy to get in Maths and Business too I assume, so yeh it's reachable but you'll obviously need to aim for the higher marks. Just don't let your GCSE grades be a big burden on you.

Thanks once again :rolleyes:

Feeling so much better now :tongue:
Thanks once again :rolleyes:

Feeling so much better now :tongue:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending