The Student Room Group

resitting gcse maths in gap year?

hi i'm going into year 13 this year and i'm thinking of taking a gap year and deferring entry to 2023. i didn't manage to sit my gcse's in 2020 because of covid so i received a grade 5 in maths (which was a bummer because i was starting to improve) and this means that there are quite a few universities i can't apply to because of that single grade. i am aware there was an option to resit just before year 12 and during but i didn't think i'd be ready and also because i wanted to stay focused on my alevels. is it worth it to resit the exam to get more options or should i keep the 5?
Hi :smile:

If the GCSE Maths grade is preventing you from applying to universities/courses you are interested in, I would say it'd be best to resit it if possible. If not, I'd personally leave it.

Hope that helps
Hi there, I am thinking of doing the same as I have just begun my gap year. I managed to get really good A-Level grades but I didn't sit my GCSE's due to COVID and thus, got a 5. I was wondering if you did end up retaking maths, and if you thought it was worth it.
Reply 3
Original post by beanman278417
Hi there, I am thinking of doing the same as I have just begun my gap year. I managed to get really good A-Level grades but I didn't sit my GCSE's due to COVID and thus, got a 5. I was wondering if you did end up retaking maths, and if you thought it was worth it.

depends which course you're applying to. Some have specific requirements such a 7 in maths and so even if you have good A levels they won't care because they want you to meet all the requirements, whereas some only need a 5 in maths and then judge your application based off A levels. I'd just research the entry requirements for the course you're interested in and then based off that you could think about resitting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest