The Student Room Group

Universities on 2nd Time Applicants

I started my gap year in August of 2022 after getting results higher than my predicted significantly, I ended up getting 3 A*s in Economics, Mathematics and Politics despite AAB predicted. With these newly achieved grades ive been set on trying to get into LSE, UCL and Warick to study Economics and since then have done a Further Maths A level achieving A and the TMUA achieving 7.0. I've been told that my results are considerably impressive but have also been told universities like LSE aren't as favorable of 2nd time applicants and prefer 1st time applicants - with that in mind are my chances of getting in really that hindered because of my gap year?
Reply 1
I may be wrong, but I think that the stigma about second time applicants is more targeted at people who applied once and failed to get in (possibly due to bad grades), and then took resits and applied again. Some top universities believe results should be achieved in one sitting, first time around. From the sounds of it, you did get good grades the first time around but didn't apply to these universities then because of your predicted grades. You have spent your gap year studying and have continued working on your maths skills which is shown by your additional Further Maths result. This shouldn't hinder your application in any way.
Reply 2
Original post by 4orbit
I may be wrong, but I think that the stigma about second time applicants is more targeted at people who applied once and failed to get in (possibly due to bad grades), and then took resits and applied again. Some top universities believe results should be achieved in one sitting, first time around. From the sounds of it, you did get good grades the first time around but didn't apply to these universities then because of your predicted grades. You have spent your gap year studying and have continued working on your maths skills which is shown by your additional Further Maths result. This shouldn't hinder your application in any way.

appreciate it!
Reply 3
Gap years are not a problem - its resits that some Uni are a bit reluctant about.

Btw, Bath and Bristol are also worth looking at.
Original post by MJK1111
I started my gap year in August of 2022 after getting results higher than my predicted significantly, I ended up getting 3 A*s in Economics, Mathematics and Politics despite AAB predicted. With these newly achieved grades ive been set on trying to get into LSE, UCL and Warick to study Economics and since then have done a Further Maths A level achieving A and the TMUA achieving 7.0. I've been told that my results are considerably impressive but have also been told universities like LSE aren't as favorable of 2nd time applicants and prefer 1st time applicants - with that in mind are my chances of getting in really that hindered because of my gap year?

Generally unis don't care about second time applicants. They do care about resits, though that isn't a factor here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending