The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) Thursday 10th January Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Bond b was 120 degrees because there were 3 bonding pairs of electrons which formed a triangular planar shape, each pair repels one another to be as far away as they can to minimise repulsion.
Bond a was 109 degrees because there were 4 bonding pairs which forms a tetrahedral shape, therefore the angle is less than b.

Question about heteregeneous and catalyst;
The definition of heterogeneous- when the catalyst is in a different phase/physical state to the reactants.
A catalyst speeds up the rate of a reaction without getting used up and lowers activation energy
Reply 261
Angle b is 120!
Original post by laurasales86
It's skeletal so would not show the hydrogen. I think it should be 109 because the four areas of electron density repel one another... Ect sure you will do fine :-)

oh B has a double bond so the four electrons count as one area Of electron density 120. A has four area 3x carbon and one hydrogen= 109. Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 263
past paper january 2009, question 2bii) - its 120! (angle b)
Reply 264
Original post by smileitsfree
23745_502467659798226_1244435401_n.jpg

you know the deal.. 2 reps

We're waiting in anticipation :wink:
538509_502467686464890_68478427_n.jpg
217763_502467653131560_630462132_n.jpg

next post 5 reps
Btw what did you gus put for the very last question?
Reply 268
Original post by smileitsfree
217763_502467653131560_630462132_n.jpg

next post 5 reps

Pushing it a tad, no? Can't you just post the pages to help us out rather than use it as leverage for personal gain?
Reply 269
Original post by Richyp22

Group number, corresponding to amount of electrons in outer shell.
Reply 270

Original post by fattail95

I put that too, but I also mentioned about the period the element is in and that it shows the amount of occupied electron shells.
Pushing it a tad, no? Can't you just post the pages to help us out rather than use it as leverage for personal gain?

do you have the paper?

i didnt think so. next post 10 reps if you keep complaining.
So, what was the answer to the oxygenate question?
I remember writing the only thing that came to my head- that it requires less oxygen to be completely burnt- therefore the petrol having an oxygenate instead of the corresponding alkane it would require oxygen

Pretty sure there was a better answer and i dont know if i would get any marks for this answer?

Original post by Quiggle
I put that too, but I also mentioned about the period the element is in and that it shows the amount of occupied electron shells.

I wasnt sure so I put. Number of eleectrons on outer shell and number of energy levels. So i put both.
Nope, reduces incomplete combustion. Due to the fuel now having a higher oxygen to carbon ratio. First sentence will probably surfice though
(edited 11 years ago)
For bond angle Q the first question bond B = 109 due to the double bond and A=120!!!!!!! 4 electron pairs = 109!!!!! 3 electron pairs = 120!!!!!
Look in your text book guys!
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
For bond angle Q the first question bond B = 109 due to the double bond and A=120!!!!!!! 4 electron pairs = 109!!!!! 3 electron pairs = 120!!!!!
Look in your text book guys!

No!!!
One pair of electron density is still the case when there is more than one pair of bonding electrons. so even if there was a nitrogen case here- with 3 bonding pairs, it would still be one area of electron density because thats just the rule...
Reply 277
Nope, reduces incomplete combustion. Due to the fuel now having a higher oxygen to carbon ratio. First sentence will probably surfice though

Yup, I put this too :smile:
Can somebody just explain to me correctly, seeing as i can see the paper now, and show me how its 109? i just want to know where i went wrong
Look, the skeletal formula does not show all the bonds, only the bonding pairs. Each carbon atom has 4 outer electrons therefore will create 4 bonds. In this case it had 3 bonding pairs as shown through the lines in the skeletal formulae, but there was a lone pair that is also around the central C atom. It is tetrahedral and 109 degrees.
Don't worry I was kicking myself afterwards as well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending