The Student Room Group

Offcial Physics A thread for the G484 Jan Exam (Newtonian World)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by LeaX
thank goodness chemistry is finished. now i can focus on physics haha.

what are the main bullet points i should include for describing the experiment for boyle's law or charle's law?

Agreed! I need to make sure not to be complacement or I will fail Physics. Going to go through All 2011/2010 Papers again now.

Does anyone have any Notes they can share for anything difficult?

Edit:
I don't know why but I don't feel fully prepared yet these small 3-4 markers where you have to write catch me out???

AND IF anyone has any notes on Dataloggers or Links on them??? The Book says nothing about Dataloggers but they come up time and time again on different questions
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 241
Original post by 101101
Are you not familiar with the concept of counting?

Its actually harder than you think. Especially the numbers after 7.
Reply 242
Original post by Better
Agreed! I need to make sure not to be complacement or I will fail Physics. Going to go through All 2011/2010 Papers again now.

Does anyone have any Notes they can share for anything difficult?

I feel like I don't know enough for some reason or like I'm not 100% prepared???

Do the even older papers and do those resource paper/booklets from page 1.
Reply 243
Original post by MasterYi

Resource Paper Booklets? oooh those, yeah I printed all of them out.

It ran my printer out of ink haha its all in one huge folder. I need to go through them.

Thanks mate! Kk I will get off Studentroom and start going through those after I've done 11' 10' Papers Thanks again!
Reply 244
Original post by MasterYi

Oh wow actually I hadn't printed off the Notes just the questions even better!!! Awesome kk I'm feeling a bit less nervous now.

Time to Coffee Up. 6 Hours of Physics ahead of us!
Reply 245
Original post by Better
Oh wow actually I hadn't printed off the Notes just the questions even better!!! Awesome kk I'm feeling a bit less nervous now.

Time to Coffee Up. 6 Hours of Physics ahead of us!

Great. I'm doing those now, second time round. Have fun.
Reply 246
Please can anyone tell me what you would write if you were asked to describe the Boyles law experiment? like what equipment and measurements? thanks! I can't remember the experiment :/
My notes - not sure if I have missed anything.

Spoiler

Original post by Better

AND IF anyone has any notes on Dataloggers or Links on them??? The Book says nothing about Dataloggers but they come up time and time again on different questions

Uses of data loggers- to record data automatically (more accurate). Can be used over long periods of time (so you could have one going for days, you couldn't have a human there for days) over short time intervals (a human can't measure things in 1 second intervals). Also you can quickly plot graphs using them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 248
Original post by kanojyoxx

Spoiler

Uses of data loggers- to record data automatically (more accurate). Can be used over long periods of time (so you could have one going for days, you couldn't have a human there for days) over short time intervals (a human can't measure things in 1 second intervals). Also you can quickly plot graphs using them.

You just might be the God of Physics. I humbly thank you ! (but no seriously cheers appreciate it, stressing out so much here!)

These are so insane. I'm printing these out!!!!! I will read this before the exam like 5 times.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Better
You just might be the God of Physics. I humbly thank you ! (but no seriously cheers appreciate it, stressing out so much here!)

These are so insane. I'm printing these out!!!!! I will read this before the exam like 5 times.

I hope it helps. (:
I hope it helps. (:

Not to nit-pick, but in circular motion you say:

At the top of a vertical circle, cent force = R + W or ma + mg
Then:

You feel weightless at the top because your weight provides the centripetal force?

:confused:
Original post by Cyclohexane
Not to nit-pick, but in circular motion you say:

At the top of a vertical circle, cent force = R + W or ma + mg
Then:

You feel weightless at the top because your weight provides the centripetal force?

:confused:

In an exam, I believe it was the one with a jet-plane going in a vertical circle. It asked why the pilot felt weightless at the top of the vertical circle. That was the answer the mark scheme said.

You need to remember that unless something is pulling you or holding onto you (such as when you are on the London Eye, you have the metal bar holding onto you), there will still be a reaction force. A ball on the end of a string will feel tension from the string at the top.

If you are just moving around with nothing holding onto you, there will be no reaction force, therefore only weight provides the centripetal force.

I've updated my notes to mention the reaction force. Like I said, I might have missed some things out.

Edit: see June 2011
(edited 11 years ago)
In an exam, I believe it was the one with a jet-plane going in a vertical circle. It asked why the pilot felt weightless at the top of the vertical circle. That was the answer the mark scheme said.

You need to remember that unless something is pulling you or holding onto you (such as when you are on the London Eye, you have the metal bar holding onto you), there will still be a reaction force.

If you are just moving around with nothing holding onto you, there will be no reaction force, therefore only weight provides the centripetal force.

Understood, thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Cyclohexane
Understood, thanks! :biggrin:

Do you have any more questions? :smile:

BTW I've updated my post in between you answering me, nothing important I'm just mentioning it incase anyone reads it and sees its different.
Reply 254
Do you have any more questions? :smile:

BTW I've updated my post in between you answering me, nothing important I'm just mentioning it incase anyone reads it and sees its different.

Yeah you explained it how my teacher did. I was so confused about this concept of Weightlessness though. I asked him if I was Weightless when I jumped in the air and he said yes. #MindBlown

If anyone has anymore tips please do tell! I need all the help I can get. I wish Physics would just be over and done with so I could revise C3 and more importantly C4.
Reply 255

Spoiler

Your stuff on pressure is gold dust. Must remember this!!! THANKS
Reply 256

Spoiler

Very nice notes. Thanks for sharing. :smile:
Reply 257

Spoiler

Thank-you so much!!
Reply 258
To those who are still wondering what to write about if a Boyle's law experiment comes up:

I asked my teacher today, and she presented me with practical equipment for the experiment. Essentially, you have a glass tube with oil at the bottom and air at the top (the oil traps the air at the top of the tube). A vertical measuring scale is placed behind the glass tube. The tube is attached to a pressure gauge with a a mechanism to stop the pressure from dropping (a valve that can close), which is in turn attached to a bicycle pump.

To carry out the practical:
1) Pump the oil/water until the pressure is quite high. After waiting a few minutes for the temperature to reach room temperature again (pV=nRT, so temperature increases can occur), measure the volume of the air at the top of the glass tube.
2) Decrease the pressure by small amounts, each time recording the volume and pressure after waiting a few minutes for the tube to reach thermal equilibrium with the room.
3) Plot a graph of pressure (y-axis) against 1/volume (x-axis). You should see that a trend line can be drawn, with the line close to all points. Hence you have shown experimentally that there is a relationship between pressure and volume.

I hope this has helped some people who were unsure about this!

Spoiler

omg thank you so much! :biggrin:
i owe you a rep but i've run out for today.

just wondering how do you do projectiles?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending