The Student Room Group

Can I wear black tights to sixth form prom/dinner with this dress?

I have just ordered this dress for sixth form prom. However, people are viewing it as more of a formal dinner rather than an over-the-top, huge dresses, Hummer limo prom like Year 11 was.

It's in May so the weather will be relatively warmish, I guess.

I'm 6'0, so I'm very conscious about dresses coming up short on me and I'm also going to be wearing 5.5 inch black suede heels, also adding to the illusion that my dress is short. I don't have the skinniest legs ever, but I wouldn't say I'm hugely fat either, the dress I've ordered is size 12. But the majority of my friends are 6/8/10 bar a couple. So I don't want to look like the one with the massive legs out on the photos and I find black tights are flattering especially with a skater dress.

What do you think to the dress and to wearing black tights? What dernier do you think would be best? I was thinking somewhere between 20-40?

prom dress.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you can wear tights, maybe patterned ones they'd make your legs look amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MissFiifi
I think you can wear tights, maybe patterned ones they'd make your legs look amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, just don't want to look too out of place wearing them but glad someone agrees :smile:
Reply 3
Aww you'll be fine, probably wont be the only one in tights

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think tights would go really well with the dress, actually :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by myusername.
I think tights would go really well with the dress, actually :smile:

Wooo, thank you, glad you think so :biggrin:
Original post by 747-400
Wooo, thank you, glad you think so :biggrin:

Yep I do! Hope you enjoy your prom :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by myusername.
Yep I do! Hope you enjoy your prom :smile:

Bless, thank you :colondollar:
Reply 8
Nice dress!
Go ahead :smile: Wear tights.. they will add some more class to that dress! I can bet you'll look amazing :smile:
I think tights will look good, esp as it is such a nice dress! and OMG your tall! in a good way :smile: I want your height! Enjoy the event
Reply 10
Original post by KalSA
Nice dress!
Go ahead :smile: Wear tights.. they will add some more class to that dress! I can bet you'll look amazing :smile:

Aw thank you, I really hope so :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by toastysandwich
I think tights will look good, esp as it is such a nice dress! and OMG your tall! in a good way :smile: I want your height! Enjoy the event

Thank you so much! :colondollar: Just wasn't sure as at my Y11 prom, I can only recall a handful of people wearing tights but I'm sure it'll be a bit different now we're all older :smile: Haha, I used to absolutely hate being tall, felt like such an oddball, even considered wearing flats to my last prom. :frown: Now I'm all heels = bigger the better :colone:
Reply 12
I think tights would look good with this dress, however, I'm not a massive fan of navy and black. So I would wear opaque dark grey tights instead and then it'll look a little better put together, rather than wearing black tights in order to look slimmer. Maybe 60-100 denier to get the opaqueness needed. I personally don't like wishy washy black tights either, so if you were to wear black I'd go for a higher denier maybe the type that are 'lycra' but still matte - I don't like shiny tights, they're sort of tacky.

Apparently I'm pretty fastidious about hosiery!
Reply 13
I love your dress! Have fun at prom!
Reply 14
Original post by JinxedOut
I think tights would look good with this dress, however, I'm not a massive fan of navy and black. So I would wear opaque dark grey tights instead and then it'll look a little better put together, rather than wearing black tights in order to look slimmer. Maybe 60-100 denier to get the opaqueness needed. I personally don't like wishy washy black tights either, so if you were to wear black I'd go for a higher denier maybe the type that are 'lycra' but still matte - I don't like shiny tights, they're sort of tacky.

Apparently I'm pretty fastidious about hosiery!

Oh never tried/thought of grey tights, maybe I'll have to give them a go!
Agreed with you on shiny tights, really not a fan! Will more than likely go high, most of my black tights are 70 dernier and I feel most comfortable in those
Reply 15
Original post by kinji
I love your dress! Have fun at prom!

Aw thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 16
I think it would actually look better with some tights - classier than bare legs for a more formal event! How about some thinner black ones as it's in May, 10-20 den, or some patterned ones as someone else suggested, maybe even some seamed ones?

btw - a lovely dress!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by EmilyD237
I think it would actually look better with some tights - classier than bare legs for a more formal event! How about some thinner black ones as it's in May, 10-20 den, or some patterned ones as someone else suggested, maybe even some seamed ones?

Yeah I agree, and at least it's a dark dress to so dark tights shouldn't look too out of place. I thought about 10-20, I reckon I'll end up getting a low, mid and high dernier pair and just seeing which looks best. I did consider patterned ones but just thought with a patterned dress it might slightly be too much. Either way, reckon I'm 99% sure tights should be ok :yeah: and thank you!! :biggrin:
Black tights in summer makes it look like you have something to hide. The whole dress is quite wintery IMO, and although very stylish probably not the best choice for a summer prom. Anyway, as the top is very demeure you can get away with showing a bit of leg. I bet your long pins look fabulous, so show them off!
Reply 19
Wow that's incredible. May is months way and you're already planning on what to wear.

Quick Reply

Latest