The Student Room Group

Can I wear black tights to sixth form prom/dinner with this dress?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Definitely wear tights, probably black would be better. Whatever you do, don't go out in winter with bare legs.
P.S: I wish I was your height and hope you have a nice time :smile:
Reply 21
I think black tights would go well with it :smile: Also, a size 12 is perfect for someone your height. You probably have an amazing body and you shouldn't feel self conscious :smile: I'd go for quite dark tights, maybe between 40 and 70 even, as a lighter denier may look odd. I'm sure whatever you choose will look great :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by JinxedOut
I think tights would look good with this dress, however, I'm not a massive fan of navy and black. So I would wear opaque dark grey tights instead and then it'll look a little better put together, rather than wearing black tights in order to look slimmer. Maybe 60-100 denier to get the opaqueness needed. I personally don't like wishy washy black tights either, so if you were to wear black I'd go for a higher denier maybe the type that are 'lycra' but still matte - I don't like shiny tights, they're sort of tacky.

Apparently I'm pretty fastidious about hosiery!

This. Tights will look absolutely fine, but I'd go with grey instead of black with a navy dress. Besides on me at least grey tight's are a little more flattering.
Reply 23
looks hot
Reply 24
Original post by xmarilynx
Black tights in summer makes it look like you have something to hide. The whole dress is quite wintery IMO, and although very stylish probably not the best choice for a summer prom. Anyway, as the top is very demeure you can get away with showing a bit of leg. I bet your long pins look fabulous, so show them off!

The description said it was a 'summer' dress but I know exactly what you mean with it looking wintery. Hopefully having light hair will lighten it up a bit. Thank you :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by AcuteQQ
Wow that's incredible. May is months way and you're already planning on what to wear.

I know, you can never be too prepared! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by eliza.anne
I think black tights would go well with it :smile: Also, a size 12 is perfect for someone your height. You probably have an amazing body and you shouldn't feel self conscious :smile: I'd go for quite dark tights, maybe between 40 and 70 even, as a lighter denier may look odd. I'm sure whatever you choose will look great :smile:

I was thinking about 60/70ish. That's what I usually wear with dark dresses and I always think it looks ok, well I feel comfortable in it so guess that's what counts. I know, you're right about the self conscious thing, I wouldn't say I'm overly conscious, just some things really. Thank you so much, means a lot :colondollar:
Reply 27
Black tights with a blue shirt? How dark black are they?
Reply 28
Original post by Sea Bass
Definitely wear tights, probably black would be better. Whatever you do, don't go out in winter with bare legs.
P.S: I wish I was your height and hope you have a nice time :smile:

The dinner is in May hence why I was a bit unsure about wearing dark tights in the warmer weather :confused: Hopefully it'll be ok! And thank you :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by danny111
Black tights with a blue shirt? How dark black are they?

Haven't decided how dark the tights are going to be yet whether they're going to be thin or not. Think I'm going to get various ones and see which look best?
Reply 30
Original post by 747-400
Haven't decided how dark the tights are going to be yet whether they're going to be thin or not. Think I'm going to get various ones and see which look best?

Yea do that, I was asking because I think that like dark black wouldn't go that well with that dress. But I might be mistaken.
Reply 31
Original post by 747-400
I was thinking about 60/70ish. That's what I usually wear with dark dresses and I always think it looks ok, well I feel comfortable in it so guess that's what counts. I know, you're right about the self conscious thing, I wouldn't say I'm overly conscious, just some things really. Thank you so much, means a lot :colondollar:

Yeah I think 60/70 would look great :smile: And yeah I get that, we all have things we're not 100% comfortable with about ourselves :smile: Most girls would kill to be your height though! I hope you have fun anyway!
Yeah I think that tights with the dress would be fine, either plain ones or patterned ones would looks good maybe even better than just plain ones
Original post by 747-400
I have just ordered this dress for sixth form prom. However, people are viewing it as more of a formal dinner rather than an over-the-top, huge dresses, Hummer limo prom like Year 11 was.

It's in May so the weather will be relatively warmish, I guess.

I'm 6'0, so I'm very conscious about dresses coming up short on me and I'm also going to be wearing 5.5 inch black suede heels, also adding to the illusion that my dress is short. I don't have the skinniest legs ever, but I wouldn't say I'm hugely fat either, the dress I've ordered is size 12. But the majority of my friends are 6/8/10 bar a couple. So I don't want to look like the one with the massive legs out on the photos and I find black tights are flattering especially with a skater dress.

What do you think to the dress and to wearing black tights? What dernier do you think would be best? I was thinking somewhere between 20-40?

prom dress.jpg

That's a gorgeous dress!

It'll look fine with black tights in a low dernier, but I think you should go in nude tights and show off your legs! If I was you, I'd take pictures of yourself wearing the dress with nude and then with black tights, so you can see which looks best. Also, would you have black shoes/accessories to match?

However you wear it you'll look lovely, and I hope that you have a lovely day (although it is quite far away)!
Reply 34
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
That's a gorgeous dress!

It'll look fine with black tights in a low dernier, but I think you should go in nude tights and show off your legs! If I was you, I'd take pictures of yourself wearing the dress with nude and then with black tights, so you can see which looks best. Also, would you have black shoes/accessories to match?

However you wear it you'll look lovely, and I hope that you have a lovely day (although it is quite far away)!

Yeah I've got black studded heels and a black studded bag, I've had them anyway and thought they would look ok together. I'm a huge stud fan!
Thank you much, hope so! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Tights would look absolutely great with it, and if you feel more comfortable wearing tights than going bare legged at least that means you wont be feeling self concious all night, which means you'll look even better. So, if you really want to, go for tights! I hope you enjoy your prom when it comes :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Shannon~
Tights would look absolutely great with it, and if you feel more comfortable wearing tights than going bare legged at least that means you wont be feeling self concious all night, which means you'll look even better. So, if you really want to, go for tights! I hope you enjoy your prom when it comes :smile:

Thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by 747-400
I have just ordered this dress for sixth form prom. However, people are viewing it as more of a formal dinner rather than an over-the-top, huge dresses, Hummer limo prom like Year 11 was.

It's in May so the weather will be relatively warmish, I guess.

I'm 6'0, so I'm very conscious about dresses coming up short on me and I'm also going to be wearing 5.5 inch black suede heels, also adding to the illusion that my dress is short. I don't have the skinniest legs ever, but I wouldn't say I'm hugely fat either, the dress I've ordered is size 12. But the majority of my friends are 6/8/10 bar a couple. So I don't want to look like the one with the massive legs out on the photos and I find black tights are flattering especially with a skater dress.

What do you think to the dress and to wearing black tights? What dernier do you think would be best? I was thinking somewhere between 20-40?

prom dress.jpg

nice dress, i think thin black tights would look quite nicee
Reply 38
Original post by myah_94
nice dress, i think thin black tights would look quite nicee

Thank you and yeah hopefully it should all look ok :colondollar:
It really depends tbh

Do you have pale skin ? Cause you said earlier that you dont have skinny legs yet you are not fat. If you do have pale and your legs are not that skinny then I would advise wearing tights cause the black will create the illusion that your legs are skinnier than they really are (unless of course you get a fake tan)

But dont buy thin black tights because they will just look stupid and cheap so go for a pair that arent necessarily thick but you cant see your skin underneath.

And dont wear patterned ones either because that would look really weird and you want to look mature and sophisticated !

Sorry I have a hate for tights with dresses so thats why I believe that tights should only be worn in extreme cases

Quick Reply

Latest