The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Psychology Applicants (2013 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hlangshaw1
Which college did you apply to ? :smile:

First off thanks for continuing the thread, thought I killed it lol. I applied to Downing, very lovely place. Any special reason?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Boro123
First off thanks for continuing the thread, thought I killed it lol. I applied to Downing, very lovely place. Any special reason?

Oh sorry - I meant at Durham haha oops
Reply 62
Oh sorry - I meant at Durham haha oops

Hahaf no worries. Trvelayn, and I'm so happy I did. By far my favourite :smile: Yourself?
Reply 63
Original post by Boro123
Hahaf no worries. Trvelayn, and I'm so happy I did. By far my favourite :smile: Yourself?

What a coincidence! Same! Have you actually been around it?
Reply 64
What a coincidence! Same! Have you actually been around it?

Yes, and I loved it- I think you made a great choice! I visited St Aidens, Grey and Van Mildert, and Trevs came up trumps. I've been research Trevs relentlessly, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the place. If you have questions, please fire away :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Boro123
Yes, and I loved it- I think you made a great choice! I visited St Aidens, Grey and Van Mildert, and Trevs came up trumps. I've been research Trevs relentlessly, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the place. If you have questions, please fire away :smile:

I've driven round them all but I haven't been inside haha :smile: No I am really glad I chose it! (If I get an offer...) but just out of curiosity: what was it that was so good about Trevs in comparison to the others?
Reply 66
I've driven round them all but I haven't been inside haha :smile: No I am really glad I chose it! (If I get an offer...) but just out of curiosity: what was it that was so good about Trevs in comparison to the others?

Trevs seemed a lot more social. Everyone there was very happy to talk to me, and there are landings instead of halls so that people can get to know each other a lot quicker. Trevs has a reputation as one of the friendliest colleges, and I really saw that on the day. Plus there is a big emphasis on music, which appeals to me.

Out of all the universities I've visited my parents thought that Durham accommodation was the worst. Saying that, i think the facilities at Trevs are great. There is a nice bar area, £10 for lie-time gym membership etc, this cool place called the buttery. I looked around on the website and Trevs just seem to be a tight-knit group, which really appeals to me.

No offence to Van Mildert applicants, but I went around there and it looked like a bomb site. I really did not enjoy going around Van Mildert, so seeing Trevs afterwards may have biased my view towards Trevs lol.
Reply 67
Original post by Boro123
Trevs seemed a lot more social. Everyone there was very happy to talk to me, and there are landings instead of halls so that people can get to know each other a lot quicker. Trevs has a reputation as one of the friendliest colleges, and I really saw that on the day. Plus there is a big emphasis on music, which appeals to me.

Out of all the universities I've visited my parents thought that Durham accommodation was the worst. Saying that, i think the facilities at Trevs are great. There is a nice bar area, £10 for lie-time gym membership etc, this cool place called the buttery. I looked around on the website and Trevs just seem to be a tight-knit group, which really appeals to me.

No offence to Van Mildert applicants, but I went around there and it looked like a bomb site. I really did not enjoy going around Van Mildert, so seeing Trevs afterwards may have biased my view towards Trevs lol.

Ah yay, so happy I applied there :smile: thank you
Original post by Boro123

Nice to see people are still posting on this thread! I was afraid it may of died out after a few days of inactivity.

I didn't like Van Mildert either, it was evident the buildings were probably built in the 1960s/1970s. The rooms were probably the size of my airing cupboard in my house! I wish I saw Trevelyan now, I never had even considered it at first.

Anyway have you chosen between Durham and York yet or are you still swaying either way? :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by emilypsychology
Nice to see people are still posting on this thread! I was afraid it may of died out after a few days of inactivity.

I didn't like Van Mildert either, it was evident the buildings were probably built in the 1960s/1970s. The rooms were probably the size of my airing cupboard in my house! I wish I saw Trevelyan now, I never had even considered it at first.

Anyway have you chosen between Durham and York yet or are you still swaying either way? :smile:

Trevs and Van Mildert were built at the same time in the 1960s, but I agree- Van Mildert was quite a state. I don't like to slag off places I don't know very well and don't consider myself a wuss, but it wasn't very nice in my opinion. Which college did you apply to? Trevs always has more places than applicants (apparently), so it is likely a few people will be put into trevs anyway :smile:

More so towards Durham than York, but I won't make any decisions until I've visited them both again. Durham looks a lot more fun though, has to be said!
Original post by Boro123
Trevs and Van Mildert were built at the same time in the 1960s, but I agree- Van Mildert was quite a state. I don't like to slag off places I don't know very well and don't consider myself a wuss, but it wasn't very nice in my opinion. Which college did you apply to? Trevs always has more places than applicants (apparently), so it is likely a few people will be put into trevs anyway :smile:

More so towards Durham than York, but I won't make any decisions until I've visited them both again. Durham looks a lot more fun though, has to be said!

Grey :smile:
I'm in the same position but with Nottingham. I do think it's more than likely if Durham gives me an offer I will firm it. Everyone I've talked to who's applying there seems lovely! I'm just swaying for Nottingham for the research side and the facilities aiding my interest in cognitive psychology and neuropsychology. But I see myself at Durham and being comfortable there. I can see me being better socially there too, being familiar with Durham the city so I would feel comfortable knowing where I am. Also, it's handy knowing what bars to go to and where to go for leisurely trips out :smile:
I hope I do get an offer as I'd love to go to a post applicant day where you stay overnight. It would be like a cool psychology applicants sleep over, nice knowing people would all have one common interest :smile:

Ah, Durham need to get back to me :3
Reply 71
Does anyone know roughly when they've got back to people in the past!? I wasn't impatient about it at all until the 15th Jan struck and now I can't stop thinking about it haha
Reply 72
Grey :smile:
I'm in the same position but with Nottingham. I do think it's more than likely if Durham gives me an offer I will firm it. Everyone I've talked to who's applying there seems lovely! I'm just swaying for Nottingham for the research side and the facilities aiding my interest in cognitive psychology and neuropsychology. But I see myself at Durham and being comfortable there. I can see me being better socially there too, being familiar with Durham the city so I would feel comfortable knowing where I am. Also, it's handy knowing what bars to go to and where to go for leisurely trips out :smile:
I hope I do get an offer as I'd love to go to a post applicant day where you stay overnight. It would be like a cool psychology applicants sleep over, nice knowing people would all have one common interest :smile:

Ah, Durham need to get back to me :3

I considered applying to Nottingham actually, and yeah a very similar situation hands down, York and Nottingham have impressive facilities and strong research credentials. I'm not saying Durham hasn't, but York and Nottingham are well known for psychology especially. Plus there is the whole cognitive neuroscience option and Nottingham, but personally that didn't impress me much.

What made me sway more towards Durham, other than thinking I'd be much happier there; is that I'll finish with a good degree from a very well respected university, with good links to employment or further degrees. I've yet to decide whether I'd prefer to go into clinical psychology or academic psychology, because I like the idea of research. I'd be set, or at least prepared well; either way at Durham. I've heard a few bad things about York, eg/ more interested in research students at postgrad than teaching undergrads, but it's hard to say.

I hope for the best with your Durham application then :smile: I cannot wait for the stay over. I read a Trevelayn thread from 6 years ago detailing the post application day- looks like applicants went to bed with sore heads in the early hours :wink:
Reply 73
Does anyone know roughly when they've got back to people in the past!? I wasn't impatient about it at all until the 15th Jan struck and now I can't stop thinking about it haha

Depends when you applied. I applied 30th September (that's when my 6th form got round to processing it), and got an offer on the 7th of December. It takes a while.
Reply 74
Original post by Boro123
Depends when you applied. I applied 30th September (that's when my 6th form got round to processing it), and got an offer on the 7th of December. It takes a while.

Oh okay that's good to know thank you!

Same with me, a recent batch of offers went out the day after the deadline which made me a bit upset as I'm convinced I will be rejected :frown: let me know when you hear back x

Original post by Boro123
I considered applying to Nottingham actually, and yeah a very similar situation hands down, York and Nottingham have impressive facilities and strong research credentials. I'm not saying Durham hasn't, but York and Nottingham are well known for psychology especially. Plus there is the whole cognitive neuroscience option and Nottingham, but personally that didn't impress me much.

What made me sway more towards Durham, other than thinking I'd be much happier there; is that I'll finish with a good degree from a very well respected university, with good links to employment or further degrees. I've yet to decide whether I'd prefer to go into clinical psychology or academic psychology, because I like the idea of research. I'd be set, or at least prepared well; either way at Durham. I've heard a few bad things about York, eg/ more interested in research students at postgrad than teaching undergrads, but it's hard to say.

I hope for the best with your Durham application then :smile: I cannot wait for the stay over. I read a Trevelayn thread from 6 years ago detailing the post application day- looks like applicants went to bed with sore heads in the early hours :wink:

I think the happier you feel with the university, the better the performance at that university. Yes Nottingham and York may have all the facilities but Durham provides the opportunities and the happiness factor for me. I would so take up rowing if I went to Durham even though I'm tiny but I'm sure I could try train up for it haha :3

Oh dear! :smile: I do hope sore heads from the bulk of psychology information being presented to them and not due to the influence of alcohol :wink:
Reply 76
Same with me, a recent batch of offers went out the day after the deadline which made me a bit upset as I'm convinced I will be rejected :frown: let me know when you hear back x

Reeeally? I didn't realise that! Ooft that's nerve wracking! Yeah you too good luck!
Reply 77
Oh dear! :smile: I do hope sore heads from the bulk of psychology information being presented to them and not due to the influence of alcohol :wink:

But of course, hahaf! Looking at the guide for visiting applicants, the first day is concerned with college activities, meeting other applicants and current students. The next day, if you stay over; a guide will take you to your department for the academic side of things, perhaps an overview leture similar to that of the open day. So if I'm to absorb anything important the next day and make a positive impression, I best behave myself lol.

My 18th birthday is March 15th, and the post-app days begin March 18th, so really I'm just begging to use my ID.
Reply 78
Original post by Boro123
But of course, hahaf! Looking at the guide for visiting applicants, the first day is concerned with college activities, meeting other applicants and current students. The next day, if you stay over; a guide will take you to your department for the academic side of things, perhaps an overview leture similar to that of the open day. So if I'm to absorb anything important the next day and make a positive impression, I best behave myself lol.

My 18th birthday is March 15th, and the post-app days begin March 18th, so really I'm just begging to use my ID.

I'm still going to be 17 for the applicant days :rolleyes:
So excited though! Also can't wait for Tuesday :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by _Izzy
I'm still going to be 17 for the applicant days :rolleyes:
So excited though! Also can't wait for Tuesday :smile:

Tuesday... we get to find about our colleges, right?
If that is correct, then I am also buzzing :smile: Where did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest