The Student Room Group

Clearing confusion

Hi,
My son only wants to take a couple of courses at one university. If he doesn't get the grades needed, can he apply again to the same uni for the same courses through clearing? I'm confused.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I think you can but not sure, it makes sense that you would be allowed to
Also just saying hi to Gjd800 when he inevitably turns up here
Original post by CuteHarpSeal527
I think you can but not sure, it makes sense that you would be allowed to
Original post by Sunshine*
Hi,
My son only wants to take a couple of courses at one university. If he doesn't get the grades needed, can he apply again to the same uni for the same courses through clearing? I'm confused.
Thanks

If somewhere has rejected him they wont let him in through clearing. Time to move on elsewhere.

The system is that a university looks at the numbers who have reached their grades and accepts them all. They then look to see if there are still places available. If so they have to decide whether to accept near misses or go into clearing. A university will always take students who have offers there rather than go into clearing so if they say accept BBB in clearing they will have accepted near misses for that grade. Universities prefer the certainty of knowing they have students than taking the risk they might not fill their places. Clearing is a last resort for universities and is only used if they havent been able to get enough students who originally applied with high enough grades.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
If somewhere has rejected him they wont let him in through clearing. Time to move on elsewhere.

The system is that a university looks at the numbers who have reached their grades and accepts them all. They then look to see if there are still places available. If so they have to decide whether to accept near misses or go into clearing. A university will always take students who have offers there rather than go into clearing so if they say accept BBB in clearing they will have accepted near misses for that grade. Universities prefer the certainty of knowing they have students than taking the risk they might not fill their places. Clearing is a last resort for universities and is only used if they havent been able to get enough students who originally applied with high enough grades.

That's fab, thank you for your reply. Do you know whether he will get an email to accept him on the course (if he is a near miss with his grades) on results day? Hope that makes sense.

This is wrong. I was rejected from durham and got an email from one of the admissions staff to remind me that I could try and apply for the same course in clearing
This is wrong. I was rejected from durham and got an email from one of the admissions staff to remind me that I could try and apply for the same course in clearing

did you get in. Durham doesnt usually do clearing. It didnt last year.

Here is last years list. No Durham
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0233f80b97963b91JmltdHM9MTY5MTcxMjAwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTIxNA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=universities+in+clearing+2022&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXNoaWdoZXJlZHVjYXRpb24uY29tL3N0dWRlbnQvYWR2aWNlL2NsZWFyaW5nLTIwMjItdWstdW5pdmVyc2l0aWVzLWNvdXJzZXMtc3RpbGwtYXZhaWxhYmxl&ntb=1

and 2021

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=2d5350c090e6dd9cJmltdHM9MTY5MTcxMjAwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTUxMg&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=universities+in+clearing+2021&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXNoaWdoZXJlZHVjYXRpb24uY29tL3N0dWRlbnQvYWR2aWNlL2NsZWFyaW5nLTIwMjEtdWstdW5pdmVyc2l0aWVzLWNvdXJzZXMtYXZhaWxhYmxlIzp-OnRleHQ9QURWRVJUSVNFTUVOVCUyMCUyMCUyMFVLJTIwUmFuayUyMDIwMjElMjAlMjAsaW5jbHVkaW5nJTIwY2hlbWlzdHIlMjAuLi4lMjAlMjAyMCUyMG1vcmUlMjByb3dzJTIw&ntb=1

And this year if they have vacancies at all it will only apply to international students so they can have higher fees

You are an international applicant if you normally live in a country outside of the UK or Republic of Ireland and would not pay fees at the ‘home’ rate. EU students with settled or pre-settled status may need to apply as home students depending on their fee status - please check UKCISA's guidance if you are unsure whether you pay home or international fees.

You should first check that you meet our entry requirements. We will only get back to you if we have vacancies. 

If any places become available, we will contact you with further information
(edited 8 months ago)
That's fab, thank you for your reply. Do you know whether he will get an email to accept him on the course (if he is a near miss with his grades) on results day? Hope that makes sense.

What happens is that on results day ucas will update and say either your going to your firm, insurance or are in clearing. He will probably also get a welcoming email from the university but it is the ucas notification that is the formal notification. It comes through sometime after 8am and sometimes you have that notification before getting your result. Last year I think the confirmation was 8.30 but in precious years it was 8 oclock. Please ignore the nonsense about Durham on here. They have an absolutely awful reputation over clearing. They have been known to accept applications for adjustment hold them for days then reject them by which time all the better options had been taken
Hi,
Thanks

This might interest you. It is from 2018 before covid as the covid period included confetti grades given by teachers so would be totally inaccurate as everyone was given high grades

This article is more than 4 years old
University acceptance rates for students with lower grades on the rise
This article is more than 4 years old
Ucas figures show increase in proportion of 18-year-olds with three Cs or lower at A-level

Sally Weale Education correspondent
Thu 13 Dec 2018 00.01 GMT
University acceptance rates among students who achieve C and D grades at A-level are on the increase, according to the latest official statistics, revealing that record proportions of English and Scottish 18-year-olds were accepted into university this year.

Pupils check their A Level results at Peter Symonds College, Winchester.
A-levels: proportion of students in England getting C or above falls
Read more
The figures, published by the university admissions service Ucas, would fuel fears of a bums-on-seats approach to recruitment by some institutions, as they struggle to fill courses due to a decline in the number of 18-year-olds.

The data showed that of the 44,000 students who achieved three Cs or lower at A-level this summer, the university acceptance rate was 84% compared with 79% five years ago. Applicants with A-level points equivalent to three Ds had an acceptance rate of over 80%.

The proportion of applicants missing their predicted grades has also been growing, and they have missed them by a greater margin. According to Ucas, the proportion of placed applicants achieving fewer points than predicted has risen from 73.3% in 2013 to 76.8% this year.
Reply 10
The proportion of applicants missing their predicted grades has also been growing, and they have missed them by a greater margin. According to Ucas, the proportion of placed applicants achieving fewer points than predicted has risen from 73.3% in 2013 to 76.8% this year.

Given that a number of students will have offers lower than their predicted grades ( predicted A*A*A*, offer A*AA) it would be interesting to know the proportion of placed applicants in their chosen uni achieving fewer points than their offers.
Original post by Euapp
Given that a number of students will have offers lower than their predicted grades ( predicted A*A*A*, offer A*AA) it would be interesting to know the proportion of placed applicants in their chosen uni achieving fewer points than their offers.

I remember something from years ago that I believe 40% were accepted 2 grades below their offer. This would have been pre covid. Maybe @PQ can supply thi
Reply 12
@PQ?

Original post by Euapp

I remember something from years ago that I believe 40% were accepted 2 grades below their offer. This would have been pre covid. Maybe @PQ can supply thi
Reply 13
What happens is that on results day ucas will update and say either your going to your firm, insurance or are in clearing. He will probably also get a welcoming email from the university but it is the ucas notification that is the formal notification. It comes through sometime after 8am and sometimes you have that notification before getting your result. Last year I think the confirmation was 8.30 but in precious years it was 8 oclock. Please ignore the nonsense about Durham on here. They have an absolutely awful reputation over clearing. They have been known to accept applications for adjustment hold them for days then reject them by which time all the better options had been taken

That's great, thank you so much for your replies. You've really helped me.
That's great, thank you so much for your replies. You've really helped me.

I know someone who applied for Geography with actual BCD a few years ago and got unconditional offers from Swansea, Cardiff and Leicester all of who stated grades at AAB or ABB. It really depends on the university and numbers. A few universities particularly in London dont usually accept a dropped grade

I won't find out until the 17th when it's results day. Maybe they didn't last year because of covid?
I won't find out until the 17th when it's results day. Maybe they didn't last year because of covid?

They werent on clearing for 2021 or 2022 and havent been for nearly all of the last 10 years. The year they entered clearing it was single figure courses. The statement I quoted about international students is current and they dont know whether they will have any vacancies at all.

Over recent years they have accepted applications for adjustment then declined the students days later by which time all the better offers had gone. Good luck to you if you are trying Durham in clearing. To do so you will have to give up any place you hold and might well end up losing your place.

Maybe you ought to read this about accommodation issues and if you get in through clearing you are at the bottom of the pile for accommodation

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fbcf883c324ab012JmltdHM9MTY5MTc5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTI0NQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=durham+university+accommodation+problems&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly90aGV0YWIuY29tL3VrL2R1cmhhbS8yMDIyLzEwLzI2L2R1cmhhbS11bmktaGFzLWFkbWl0dGVkLWhvdXNpbmctY3Jpc2lzLWlzLXBhcnRseS1jYXVzZWQtYnktaXRzLWFjY2VwdGFuY2Utb2YtdG9vLW1hbnktc3R1ZGVudHMtNTEwMDk&ntb=1
(edited 8 months ago)
They werent on clearing for 2021 or 2022 and havent been for nearly all of the last 10 years. The year they entered clearing it was single figure courses. The statement I quoted about international students is current and they dont know whether they will have any vacancies at all.

Over recent years they have accepted applications for adjustment then declined the students days later by which time all the better offers had gone. Good luck to you if you are trying Durham in clearing. To do so you will have to give up any place you hold and might well end up losing your place.

Maybe you ought to read this about accommodation issues and if you get in through clearing you are at the bottom of the pile for accommodation

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fbcf883c324ab012JmltdHM9MTY5MTc5ODQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTI0NQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=durham+university+accommodation+problems&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly90aGV0YWIuY29tL3VrL2R1cmhhbS8yMDIyLzEwLzI2L2R1cmhhbS11bmktaGFzLWFkbWl0dGVkLWhvdXNpbmctY3Jpc2lzLWlzLXBhcnRseS1jYXVzZWQtYnktaXRzLWFjY2VwdGFuY2Utb2YtdG9vLW1hbnktc3R1ZGVudHMtNTEwMDk&ntb=1

Hey do you know if you can apply to somewhere else through clearing if you already have a place elsewhere?
Hey do you know if you can apply to somewhere else through clearing if you already have a place elsewhere?

You cannot apply anywhere if you are holding an offer. You have to decline the offer you are holding and then apply through clearing if the course you are looking at is in clearing. You used to be able to apply through adjustment but ucas withdrew it about a year ago as it was very little used. That was the system Durham were accepting applicants then declining them days later by which time the best places had gone. This is why they have such a poor reputation.
It might be worth you reading what TSRs stats and ucas guru has prepared.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7368672

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending