The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
can someone give me a hard question please?
Reply 101
Original post by king_revision
I hope tomorrows exam poses a bit more of a challenge than the mock (June 2012 paper). I got 59/60 in the mock and I lost the one because I stupidly read the graph as saying 20 rather than 21.

WOW you're both good at chemistry AND modest! :congrats:
Original post by BI0
Heres my 6-mark GC-MS answer.

The sample is vaporised. An unreactive carrier gas is injected which carries the sample through the coiled column. The compounds in the sample have different forces of attraction to the solid material in the column walls, meaning they will move through the column at different speeds. The compounds will have a different retention time. When the compounds reach the detector, a chart (chromatograph) is plotted. The mass spectrometer draws a mass spectrum which corresponds to the molecular mass number and percent abundance of the compounds.

+ inert solid in column
+substance seperates and leaves at different times
+ also know why this is useful/downsides
Reply 103
Original post by syhash
Haha well I'd recommend myGCSEscience videos on youtube, just been making my way through all the C2 videos after only just discovering him! :wink:

I reckon it'll be a mix of everything to be honest, with lots of calculations thrown in! And after the biology, I think the 6 marker's likely to be something fairly unpredictable! Definitely think GC-MS and electrolysis will come up somewhere though :smile:

Im soo confused do we need to know about the haber process for the new spec C2
Original post by sakbo
Quick question : if the exam question asks for one reason can you just list many reasons that you know to be safe? Or do they just take the first one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I always do that - as long as they're right it's fine if you list a load of wrong answers and one right, depending on the examiner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Original post by Kat187
Im soo confused do we need to know about the haber process for the new spec C2

The haber process has been moved to C3. It is no longer on the C2 specification.
Reply 106
Original post by BI0
The haber process has been moved to C3. It is no longer on the C2 specification.

Ohhh thanks i was really stressing out about it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
What did you guys get in unit 1 chemistry C1 ?
Reply 108
Original post by Kat187
What did you guys get in unit 1 chemistry C1 ?

Do we need to know the exact process for purification of copper or is that C1?
Reply 110
Original post by bbadonde2
I think we do my teacher recommended that we recap it use this web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/ions/electrolysisrev3.shtml
Reply 111
June 2012 paper for New spec! :
Chemistry:
QP - http://science.taskermilward.org.uk/mod1/KS4Chemistry/AQA/Past AQA Papers/Chemistry 2 June 2012 H.pdf
MS - Can't find one, sorry!

I just types in paper code now and it came up!

Great. Thanks I've been looking for this paper for ages. Good Luck.
Reply 112
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
what is the meaning of life?

Life has various meanings; you can either decide to focus on your exams, and try to get good grades, you can be carefree, and toss your books away, you can do various things in life. life is what you make of it.
Reply 113

Original post by Kat187
I think we do my teacher recommended that we recap it use this web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/ions/electrolysisrev3.shtml

The purification of copper is C1, for C2 you just need to know how electrolysis can be used for copper plating - plating impure copper with pure copper! :smile:

EDIT: Someone negged me, sorry if I'm wrong! I'm just looking through the spec now, doesn't mention purification of copper anywhere!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qjohir20
Life has various meanings; you can either decide to focus on your exams, and try to get good grades, you can be carefree, and toss your books away, you can do various things in life. life is what you make of it.

full marks
Reply 115
What are reasons why an experiment might go wrong? Such human error but what else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Describe the two different structures of polymers and their uses in the real world. (6m)
Reply 117
Original post by sakbo
WAIT WHAT? :eek: Do we need to know the electrolysis of impure copper??? pretty sure that was unit 1. Can someone verify this for me please?? :confused:

Is that not like electroplating. Because it says that the impure copper is the positive electrode and negative electrode is pure?
Reply 118
Original post by Nicsi
What are reasons why an experiment might go wrong? Such human error but what else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could be
- weighing error
- error in measuring
- timing error
- change in temperature
- recording / plotting error

Good luck.
Reply 119
i watched all of them and i think hes soooo good. brilliant revision tool.... just wish all my teachers were like him....:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending