Liverpool

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Liverpool is not a dangerous city per se - going to a bad area anywhere is dangerous. Stay out of Toxteth and Aigburth, you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by sabian92
Liverpool is not a dangerous city per se - going to a bad area anywhere is dangerous. Stay out of Toxteth and Aigburth, you'll be fine.

Are their any asain concentrated areas in liverpool
Reply 4
anyone else any help is appreciated
Reply 5
Original post by akash11
Are their any asain concentrated areas in liverpool

Biggest Chinese population in the UK are in Liverpool due to the trade routes, plus the biggest Chinatown in the UK.
Reply 6
Biggest Chinese population in the UK are in Liverpool due to the trade routes, plus the biggest Chinatown in the UK.

Yes but are they concentrated around the uni and as the title says i mean indains
Reply 7
Original post by akash11
Yes but are they concentrated around the uni and as the title says i mean indains

Not really. Chinese people are all over Liverpool.

You asked for Asians - Chinese people are Asian.
Reply 8
Not really. Chinese people are all over Liverpool.

You asked for Asians - Chinese people are Asian.

It's clear the OP means Indian/South Asian. Asian in this country typically means South Asian (Indian subcontinent) unlike in the US where people often mean East Asian.

Original post by akash11
anyone?

Please don't bump your own threads. You can't expect a reply within a few minutes. It takes time.

Also, you're more likely to get a better answer in the correct subforum. I've therefore moved this to Liverpool where informed people, ie. current students, can offer opinions.

Few universities can guarantee accommodation to second and third year students, so Liverpool is not unique. What makes you think it will be a struggle to find accommodation in a "good area"? Do you think most students live in "bad areas"?

You seem to have a negative impression of Liverpool, that it is rough and racist in may areas. Is this what you think?

It does have its areas of deprivation, as all cities do, but students (who are invariably middle class) will usually live in the "better" areas.

You also say that you are only going to the university for the education, and sound as if you have no real desire to make friends or get involved in extra-curricular activities? I strongly recommend you do get involved in ECs as when getting a job "just having a degree" (having academic knowledge) often isn't enough.

I'm sure that at Liverpool you will find students who you can relate to, including those of South Asian origin, providing you make the effort.
Reply 9
I am from Liverpool and I live in the Aigburth area which believe me is a very safe area for students. As has already been stated in this thread no matter were you go you could get into trouble, but Liverpool is a very safe and student friendly city.

You are worrying about nothing, providing you come here and keep YOURSELF out of trouble, and by that I mean don't go putting yourself in danger by arguing with locals for instance then you will be fine. I can promise you one that if UoL is the best offer you have then take the offer and take no notice of the rubbish rumors and lies you have been fed.
Reply 10
This might help you feel more comfortable bout whether Liverpool is an 'unsafe' city: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/preparing-to-go/staying-safe-and-secure/how-safe-is-your-city/

Liverpool is ranked 16th for 2012 which is pretty good when compared to the other major big cities therefore it is one of the safest big cities in England. Also im from Manchester which is 23rd out of 24th and nothings happened to me and I go college in one of the rougher areas so as long as you dont look like too much of a target and stay in safer areas you'll be alright. With the racism, I know asian guys at uni of liverpool and i even asked if anything happened and they said theyve never come across racism so you should be fine. Naturally as a city with 90%+ population of white there's probably some ignorant racism due to the fact that it is not a multicultural society like Manchester London or Birmingham, but overall most people have enough manners and social decency that I would be pretty sure youd not come across any direct racism.
As a student you are more likely to spend time with students, and I can tell you that there are plenty of students from various countries at the University and I haven't heard of anyone being subjected to racism. To be honest, I am sure you will find racist people everywhere, but so long as you are open minded towards others students and their backgrounds too, and make an attempt to be nice to others, the majority of students will treat you with decency! You do hear stories about violent crime etc. but those are present in all big cities, and are usually related to the locals more than students. You would just need to use common sense and not ask for trouble and you will be fine.

I can understand a little caution with regards Toxteth (although having lived just inside the district for a year, it isn't that bad), perhaps just a be a little careful at night.

But Aigburth!? You're way off there. Aigburth is great. Where do you think all the graduates and young professionals go to live? Aigburth!
Reply 13
Original post by Nicholas Brakespear
I can understand a little caution with regards Toxteth (although having lived just inside the district for a year, it isn't that bad), perhaps just a be a little careful at night.

But Aigburth!? You're way off there. Aigburth is great. Where do you think all the graduates and young professionals go to live? Aigburth!

I dunno, my auntie used to live in Aigburth and it was pretty bad. Lot of crime where she lived, so bad she moved.
I dunno, my auntie used to live in Aigburth and it was pretty bad. Lot of crime where she lived, so bad she moved.

That was probably quite a while back. People did that years ago. (My folks moved out of a massive terraced house in Wavertree for same reason). But those places have changed. I lived in Aigburth for a year until last September, right next to the dingle (L8) and there was never any bother, and I was coming and going all hours (I worked nights). It's definitely true, the closer you go to Sefton Park, the more bohemian and wealthier Aigburth becomes. But even now the streets behind me were slowly being bought up by salaried young families and young professionals.

I've have family living in Aigburth for over 30 years and they still live there without problems. I'll be moving back myself once I've sorted my career out. It's far more interesting an area than where I grew up (suburban Mossley Hill). Aigburth is great! :yes:
Reply 15
Original post by akash11
I've got a conditional offer from liverpool uni, and am quite kenn on going as it the best offer that I have. However being asain and knowing what I know about liverpool, its seems as if liverpool would be a dangerous place for me. Furthermore, I'm highly introverted and am just going to unversity to get a degree, so id be moving around the city and uni by my self. Also, liverpool says that its highly unlikly for second and third years to gain accomidation in halls and I would thus have to find accomidation by my self in a good area, which seems like a stugle.

I really need advise regarding this and would esspecial appricate help from any asain students who have been to or are currently at at liverpool university?

Hi akash, sorry to say this man but you need to be more confident in yourself. If you're looking for trouble, you will get it. If you keep to yourself and do what you like you will be fine.
I am Indian and will be starting at Liverpool this sept (grade dependant).
As a multicultural society that Britain is, noone should fear walking freely in the streets no matter where you come from. Being Indian should play no part in your decision. Sounds like you're putting yourself and other Indians down and I don't like it. I'm proud to be an Indian and so should you. Liverpool is the same as anywhere. YOU MY FRIEND NEED A DOSE OF MAN THE F UP. All the best

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by akash11
I've got a conditional offer from liverpool uni, and am quite kenn on going as it the best offer that I have. However being asain and knowing what I know about liverpool, its seems as if liverpool would be a dangerous place for me. Furthermore, I'm highly introverted and am just going to unversity to get a degree, so id be moving around the city and uni by my self. Also, liverpool says that its highly unlikly for second and third years to gain accomidation in halls and I would thus have to find accomidation by my self in a good area, which seems like a stugle.

I really need advise regarding this and would esspecial appricate help from any asain students who have been to or are currently at at liverpool university?

And FYI there are plenty of Indian students in Liverpool. You do not need advise on anything. You will be fine akash. Liverpool won't be dangerous for me, why will it be for you? What are you scared of? Enlighten me. Maybe i will decide not to go to Liverpool because I am Indian? Lol sorry man. Your message is ridiculous

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Got an offer too. Im from london so not too sure what the North is like? Ive heard good things and bad things. Just a general question for any students who are studying there: Are night outs comfortable? Any trouble from locals?
Reply 18
Original post by shaw95
Got an offer too. Im from london so not too sure what the North is like?

Much like the South, to be honest. It's not a different country.

But I should say the "North" is not a single place, just as the South isn't. Liverpool is different to Harrogate which is different to Bradford which is different to Newcastle. If you're asking specifically about Liverpool then it's never struck me as a place where there is a substantial town v. gown divide. These divides between students and locals are probably more apparent in smaller cities, where the student population can be particularly overpowering and place substantial demand on housing and amenities. This isn't to say you won't get some trouble from a local resident but, unless you're obnoxious and/or looking for trouble, then this is unlikely and will probably only occur as the other person is after a fight - so could just as easily pick on you for being ginger, wearing glasses, or wearing the wrong kind of clothes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by River85
Much like the South, to be honest. It's not a different country.

But I should say the "North" is not a single place, just as the South isn't. Liverpool is different to Harrogate which is different to Bradford which is different to Newcastle. If you're asking specifically about Liverpool then it's never struck me as a place where there is a substantial town v. gown divide. These divides between students and locals are probably more apparent in smaller cities, where the student population can be particularly overpowering and place substantial demand on housing and amenities. This isn't to say you won't get some trouble from a local resident but, unless you're obnoxious and/or looking for trouble, then this is unlikely and will probably only occur as the other person is after a fight - so could just as easily pick on you for being ginger, wearing glasses, or wearing the wrong kind of clothes.

Thank you for replying. Yeah thats true and just meant the North as in the mentality of those people living in Liverpool.

Latest

Trending

Trending