The Student Room Group

c2 arithmetic progression help

why isnt the following a a.p

One day 1 john swims 2 km and then swims the same distance on each subsequent day?
Well the distance swam each day is constant.

You could view it as an AP with d=0, though it's a bit perverse, and over complicating things.
Reply 2
I can't even decipher the question.

"One day 1 john swims 2km and then swims the same distance on each subsequent day?"

What's the question? How far does 5 Johns swim?
Original post by Noble.
I can't even decipher the question.

"One day 1 john swims 2km and then swims the same distance on each subsequent day?"

What's the question? How far does 5 Johns swim?

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi but...

What is the question OP anyway?
Reply 4
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Sorry to be a grammar Nazi but...

What is the question OP anyway?

If you like being a grammar Nazi you'll have a whale of a time in the maths forum.
Original post by Noble.
If you like being a grammar Nazi you'll have a whale of a time in the maths forum.

I don't generally, but do and does was a bit, I don't know... I couldn't leave it :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't generally, but do and does was a bit, I don't know... I couldn't leave it :colondollar:

When you've been awake for 25 hours, using does instead of do is minor. About an hour ago I wrote "bilinear" when I was trying to write "donkey".
Original post by Noble.
When you've been awake for 25 hours, using does instead of do is minor. About an hour ago I wrote "bilinear" when I was trying to write "donkey".

Sorry :tongue:

Bilinear instead of donkey? :lol:
Reply 8
Maybe the question is "on day one, John swims 2km, and then swims the same distance on each subsequent day"

Letting the total distance after each day being the sequence, and 2km being the difference? Just a stab in the dark.. Question might want to know how many days it'll take to reach a certain total distance..
Reply 11
I dont get the problem.

Clearly U1= 2km
d= 2km
Sorry guys Im using my phone and typed in the question wrong

John swims 2 km on day 1, he swims 2km on each subsequent day...why isnt this an ap.
Reply 13
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Sorry guys Im using my phone and typed in the question wrong

John swims 2 km on day 1, he swims 2km on each subsequent day...why isnt this an ap.

Well the only reasonable answer I could find is that he might not swim additional distance but rather repeatadly swim the same distance -> total distance won't change, so no AP in that sense.

I still think it actually is an AP though, I guess it depends how you look on it.

Where did you have this stupid question from?
Original post by Giveme45
Well the only reasonable answer I could find is that he might not swim additional distance but rather repeatadly swim the same distance -> total distance won't change, so no AP in that sense.

I still think it actually is an AP though, I guess it depends how you look on it.

Where did you have this stupid question from?

Its part of the last question on a c2 past paper.... Apparently its not an ap.
Reply 15
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Its part of the last question on a c2 past paper.... Apparently its not an ap.

Try fidning the answer on the internet?

If not, i guess my above explanation works.

Quick Reply

Latest