The Student Room Group

High 2;2 in second year? Can i make it to a 2:1 or 1st in third year?

I received a high 2:2 in second year, my first year grade was a 2:1. I have had a horrible year with family issues and personal issues and even tho it is not the grade i was hoping for and i was only like 1 grade boundary of a Low 2:1 , I am glad it was not worse! I am still very worried that i won’t be able to make it to a 2:1. My university weighting is 20% second year and 80% third year. I am studying criminology and i just can’t stop worrying that i’m not gonna make it to a 2:1? Can i do it? My uni decides end of year results and degree classifications on grade points for example : High 2.1 = 12 and Low 2:2 = 7 and with all the end of year results they add the grades up and divide by how many there is. As i said this year i got a high 2:2 and overall my mean was 8.5. A low 2:1 is 9.5 so i was 1 grade point off from receiving a 2:1. I can explain further but i’m just so stressed and scared i won’t be able to make it to a 2:1

Here’s also how they decide the grades (i don’t think i’ll be able to get a 1st as i did not recieve a 1st in any grade this year)

A student's final degree classification is determined by either the weighted arithmetic mean of the contributing grade points or by the majority grade, whichever results in the higher outcome.
Final classification of the award is determined by the better of either:
a. the weighted arithmetic mean of level 5 and level 6 modules, or where level 5 is not specified as contributing to the final award, the weighted arithmetic mean of
Leve o modules
or
b. the majority grade of level 5 (if level 5 is specified as contributing to the final award) and level 6 modules, where the majority grade is calculated on the basis of more than half of the credits which contribute to the award achieving a particular classification or higher. The level 5 contribution to this majority calculation is detailed below.
For courses which require that level 5 credits contribute to the final degree classification, the overall level 5 arithmetic mean is used to represent the equivalent of 20 level 5 credit points in a total of 140 credits. Therefore, for a student's majority grade to be first class, they need to have been awarded first class grades in more than 70 credits (from a total of 120 credits from level 6 and 20 credits from level 5).

Can i make it to a 2:1?
Original post by Anonymous
I received a high 2:2 in second year, my first year grade was a 2:1. I have had a horrible year with family issues and personal issues and even tho it is not the grade i was hoping for and i was only like 1 grade boundary of a Low 2:1 , I am glad it was not worse! I am still very worried that i won’t be able to make it to a 2:1. My university weighting is 20% second year and 80% third year. I am studying criminology and i just can’t stop worrying that i’m not gonna make it to a 2:1? Can i do it? My uni decides end of year results and degree classifications on grade points for example : High 2.1 = 12 and Low 2:2 = 7 and with all the end of year results they add the grades up and divide by how many there is. As i said this year i got a high 2:2 and overall my mean was 8.5. A low 2:1 is 9.5 so i was 1 grade point off from receiving a 2:1. I can explain further but i’m just so stressed and scared i won’t be able to make it to a 2:1

Here’s also how they decide the grades (i don’t think i’ll be able to get a 1st as i did not recieve a 1st in any grade this year)

A student's final degree classification is determined by either the weighted arithmetic mean of the contributing grade points or by the majority grade, whichever results in the higher outcome.
Final classification of the award is determined by the better of either:
a. the weighted arithmetic mean of level 5 and level 6 modules, or where level 5 is not specified as contributing to the final award, the weighted arithmetic mean of
Leve o modules
or
b. the majority grade of level 5 (if level 5 is specified as contributing to the final award) and level 6 modules, where the majority grade is calculated on the basis of more than half of the credits which contribute to the award achieving a particular classification or higher. The level 5 contribution to this majority calculation is detailed below.
For courses which require that level 5 credits contribute to the final degree classification, the overall level 5 arithmetic mean is used to represent the equivalent of 20 level 5 credit points in a total of 140 credits. Therefore, for a student's majority grade to be first class, they need to have been awarded first class grades in more than 70 credits (from a total of 120 credits from level 6 and 20 credits from level 5).

Can i make it to a 2:1?

Mathematically, yes it's hardly any increase in your current level especially given the 20:80 split.
Yes - definitely possible. Lots of people do better in final year rather then second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending