The Student Room Group

A Levels for Law degree

I want to do a law degree in uni and I'm not sure what a levels would be the best to take, I'm thinking maths, theology and English language but I'm not sure whether these are good a level choices. Could someone please help?
Hi, if I was you I would keep maths, and do english language and english literature and if they let you one more option I would do history or RE
I found this helpful http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604, I'm taking all subjects that interest me, biology, history and RS. History and RS are both ones that help with developing arguments which are helpful if you want to do law, although they're not the only useful ones!
I'm hoping to do Law at University (and I have offers), and I do Law, History and Use of Maths. I also have General Studies, and while its not looked for by many places, I find its actually quite good for looking at how you interpret and formulate your own arguments.
Reply 4
Thanks, im taking theology which is very similar to RS so that should help
Reply 5
Original post by Gallifreyan95
I'm hoping to do Law at University (and I have offers), and I do Law, History and Use of Maths. I also have General Studies, and while its not looked for by many places, I find its actually quite good for looking at how you interpret and formulate your own arguments.

It's too late for me to do history now and law isn't an option at my sixth form but I'm definitely doing maths and general studies is compulsory so hopefully they'll both help. Thank you
Original post by Bazingaa123
I want to do a law degree in uni and I'm not sure what a levels would be the best to take, I'm thinking maths, theology and English language but I'm not sure whether these are good a level choices. Could someone please help?

In all honesty I don't personally think there is a clear cut answer any more as to whether taking traditional subjects makes a significant difference compared to people who have taken "less academic" subjects. If I was you, I would definitely keep Maths and then think about taking maybe one subject which is less demanding (without wanting to offend anyone...). I took History, Maths and French which were all very enjoyable for me, but sometimes I do wonder whether if I had taken maybe one "easier" subject, my grades might have been better. Keep that in mind as A level grades will matter in future.
Stick to academic subjects that you will get good grades in and enjoy. That is it for law really.
Reply 8
Original post by Retro.spex
In all honesty I don't personally think there is a clear cut answer any more as to whether taking traditional subjects makes a significant difference compared to people who have taken "less academic" subjects. If I was you, I would definitely keep Maths and then think about taking maybe one subject which is less demanding (without wanting to offend anyone...). I took History, Maths and French which were all very enjoyable for me, but sometimes I do wonder whether if I had taken maybe one "easier" subject, my grades might have been better. Keep that in mind as A level grades will matter in future.

I'm also taking product design as my fourth and will probably drop this after AS, but this will probably be my easier subject as I think it is easier than my other subjects
You seem young to be interested in the judicial system. Are you sure you're not just in it for the money?
Reply 10
Original post by Alex-Torres
You seem young to be interested in the judicial system. Are you sure you're not just in it for the money?

No, I actually find law interesting and have wanted to do this job for a long time. How does this have any relevance to the question I asked? Whether I am just in it for the money or not (which I'm not) then I'd still need to know which A Levels to take.
No, I actually find law interesting and have wanted to do this job for a long time. How does this have any relevance to the question I asked? Whether I am just in it for the money or not (which I'm not) then I'd still need to know which A Levels to take.

If you were in it for the money, then I'd suggest taking A-levels that you enjoy.
Reply 12
If you were in it for the money, then I'd suggest taking A-levels that you enjoy.

Fair enough, I actually find law quite interesting though. Thank you
It's too late for me to do history now and law isn't an option at my sixth form but I'm definitely doing maths and general studies is compulsory so hopefully they'll both help. Thank you

Pity, both History and Law are interesting courses. I'm lucky in that I can do Law - very interesting to get a taster in the area.

I did Product Design at GCSE. The grader mistook my baby's mobile for a wind chime. And I think I prefer it as a wind chime :/

Only reason I did Use of Maths instead of Maths is that as much as I enjoy it, I'm pathetically bad at maths.

Any idea where you would like to apply to yet?
Reply 14
Original post by Gallifreyan95
Pity, both History and Law are interesting courses. I'm lucky in that I can do Law - very interesting to get a taster in the area.

I did Product Design at GCSE. The grader mistook my baby's mobile for a wind chime. And I think I prefer it as a wind chime :/

Only reason I did Use of Maths instead of Maths is that as much as I enjoy it, I'm pathetically bad at maths.

Any idea where you would like to apply to yet?

Guess I'm lucky that I kind of like maths

My number one university at the moment would probably be UCL but I'm not sure if I could get in there because they want amazing results which I'm not sure I could get.
Reply 15
History and English lit are probably the main subjects for law at a top university like UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think anyone knows fully why they want to do it at that age but for a law degree it's important to plan.

Quick Reply

Latest