The Student Room Group

Club Wear

Just come back from Poland on an U6 trip where I went out quite a lot and have decided to take up my friends offers of clubbing in the UK as I now realise it may be good fun.

Basically I really don't like wearing a single layer, like just a t-shirt or whatever, and am fairly self-conscious, the reason for not liking wearing one layer is I am overweight (not to the extent of needing mail-order catalogue clothes, just normally XL/Xxl in places like SuperDry etc), as was wondering when clubbing do people wear jumpers (and if so black or dark colours, which is what pretty much all my tops are) or other attire to shirts and t-shirts?

I genuinely don't know, normally I am in jeans and a hoody, and very very occasionally change that no matter the weather.

I know people say it's very hot, but that doesn't normally affect me and I don't have a sweat issue or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
most clubs wont let you in if youre in a hoody and youre generally expected to dress smart
Reply 2
Original post by SoRo
most clubs wont let you in if youre in a hoody and youre generally expected to dress smart

Dark Polo Jumpers? Are they likely to be allowed, or does it have to be shirts?

Being fat without fat man sweats sounds like the holy grail of happy living.

Yeah you can wear jumpers. Don't listen to people telling you to dress smart, they probably go to homo clubs (not gay clubs) or something. Student nights just don't give a **** about anything so wear a hoodie if you like. I've worn shorts and sandals in a club, not on a themed day or anything just because it was what I was wearing round the house when my friends asked if I wanted to go out. Good times. If you want to look fashionable I'm pretty sure you can get cardigans in package deals with wide rimmed glasses with no lenses. They might not have it in your size though.
Reply 4
Original post by The Troll Toll

Yeah you can wear jumpers. Don't listen to people telling you to dress smart, they probably go to homo clubs (not gay clubs) or something. Student nights just don't give a **** about anything so wear a hoodie if you like. I've worn shorts and sandals in a club, not on a themed day or anything just because it was what I was wearing round the house when my friends asked if I wanted to go out. Good times. If you want to look fashionable I'm pretty sure you can get cardigans in package deals with wide rimmed glasses with no lenses. They might not have it in your size though.

Don't say not to listen to people saying to wear smart. Don't know where you're from but in London you have to dress smart and defo wouldnt get in wearing shorts and sandles unless youre on holiday..

Seriously? Lol.

Shorts, no. Sandals, no. Hoodies, no. Sports clothes like Adidas, Nike etc, no. Sports trainers, no.

Casual / smart or you won't get in.

they probably go to homo clubs or something.

Original post by SoRo
but in London

There you go.
Reply 7
There you go.

Ok well your clubs must be shocking if they let you in wearing shorts and sandals but ok.
Original post by SoRo
Ok well your clubs must be shocking if they let you in wearing shorts and sandals but ok.

Right, because when I think of the word "fun" the first thing I associate it with is "dress code". If I wanted a dress code I'd just take my drugs to work with me.
Enlighten us; which club do you go to that let's you in with shorts and sandals? What's it called?

Original post by Dan1000
Just come back from Poland on an U6 trip where I went out quite a lot and have decided to take up my friends offers of clubbing in the UK as I now realise it may be good fun.

Basically I really don't like wearing a single layer, like just a t-shirt or whatever, and am fairly self-conscious, the reason for not liking wearing one layer is I am overweight (not to the extent of needing mail-order catalogue clothes, just normally XL/Xxl in places like SuperDry etc), as was wondering when clubbing do people wear jumpers (and if so black or dark colours, which is what pretty much all my tops are) or other attire to shirts and t-shirts?

I genuinely don't know, normally I am in jeans and a hoody, and very very occasionally change that no matter the weather.

I know people say it's very hot, but that doesn't normally affect me and I don't have a sweat issue or anything.

Since you're looking to stick to the layered look, you could wear your jean with like a casual/sport shirt(preferably long sleeve) and a leather/leather-look jacket or a gilet or simply, just a good jacket. That should work. I'm usually a layered guy as well just because I like Henleys/Grandads and I feel they aren't exactly presentable on their own...(just my opinion)
Don't wear shorts. No one wears shorts in clubs.

Well, I mean I wear shorts clubbing sometimes, but girls can buy dressy shorts, but I've never seen dressy shorts for boys :P

Yeah most people dress quite smart, but you would be fine with a nice jumper and jeans I think :smile: Couldn't you wear a shirt with a smart blazer/jacket over it to hide your weight? Or maybe wear a shirt with a jumper over it?

Depends on the clubs tbh. In York, the clubs you only go in when completely wasted (like Willow) will let you in wearing whatever and more relaxed places like Duchess/Fibbers seem to have people in not as smart clothes, but in places like Kuda and Tokyo everyone dresses up :smile:
Or just be happy with your weight. Or do something about it if it bothers you that much.

Reply 13
Original post by Lee R
Or just be happy with your weight. Or do something about it if it bothers you that much.

I am doing something about it, lost two and a half stone since November and am still continuing my daily cycling and have changed my eating massively, this is just until I've lost even more, as I don't want to sit in for months til then

Original post by Dan1000

You could wear a t-shirt with a casual checked shirt either buttoned or unbuttoned, up to you.
Jumpers are perfectly fine too.
TBH most clubs here you'd be fine in anything as long as it's not a football shirt.

Agree with you.
I text my mate if he wanted to go out once. He was on the way back from the gym, he got in no problem, gym bag and all, and we had a great night.
I've gone out in Doc Martens and jeans too. I've got no time for clubs with pretentious dress codes.
I bet they are **** hole clubs.

Original post by Lee R
Enlighten us; which club do you go to that let's you in with shorts and sandals? What's it called?

Do you seriously not believe me? I don't remember but I think it was EQ/Forum or whatever it was called before then in Nottingham. But I would bet that you could do that with a student card in pretty much any student night there. Everyone gets in everywhere wearing pretty much whatever. Usually I wear the same kind of **** everyone else does, but I don't mind because at least my idea of fun isn't being told what to wear by some 18 stone skinhead in a trench coat. Seriously have you guys never been on a student night?? I guess maybe London is different/douchier but even so I would imagine the students don't dress up that much. I think I've seen like 3 people in my life get turned down from a club for dress code, and 2 of them weren't wearing any trousers so that's not exactly crazy strict.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Popppppy
Agree with you.
I text my mate if he wanted to go out once. He was on the way back from the gym, he got in no problem, gym bag and all, and we had a great night.
I've gone out in Doc Martens and jeans too. I've got no time for clubs with pretentious dress codes.
lol obviously you don't understand fun if you think you can have it without wearing your best outfits.
Original post by battycatlady
Don't wear shorts. No one wears shorts in clubs.

Well, I mean I wear shorts clubbing sometimes, but girls can buy dressy shorts, but I've never seen dressy shorts for boys :P

Yeah most people dress quite smart, but you would be fine with a nice jumper and jeans I think :smile: Couldn't you wear a shirt with a smart blazer/jacket over it to hide your weight? Or maybe wear a shirt with a jumper over it?

Depends on the clubs tbh. In York, the clubs you only go in when completely wasted (like Willow) will let you in wearing whatever and more relaxed places like Duchess/Fibbers seem to have people in not as smart clothes, but in places like Kuda and Tokyo everyone dresses up :smile:

I've lived in York for two years and never known any club turn someone away on the basis of dress code except Willow...
I'm not from London, I'm from Leeds and now live in Newcastle.

People tend to dress well here!

Quick Reply

Latest