The Student Room Group

My GF and clubbing…

I’ve been dating this girl for 5 months. I’ve never told her not to wear clothes that might be revealing but it does make me very uncomfortable (especially if she goes out alone). I’ve tried my best to understand why she likes to dress in a ‘sexy’ way but I can’t ignore how I feel. This feeling is made worse when she tells me that multiple guys hit on her in a night. I don't want to tell her what to wear but I also can’t ignore how I feel. Rumours of her past also don’t help with this as well as a history of cheating on partners.

I’ve thought about asking her to wear less revealing clothes when I’m not out with her, until I feel more comfortable but I equally don’t want to give the impression that I’m controlling (maybe I am but I can’t ignore my feelings anymore).

Any advice on how I should go about this?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve been dating this girl for 5 months. I’ve never told her not to wear clothes that might be revealing but it does make me very uncomfortable (especially if she goes out alone). I’ve tried my best to understand why she likes to dress in a ‘sexy’ way but I can’t ignore how I feel. This feeling is made worse when she tells me that multiple guys hit on her in a night. I don't want to tell her what to wear but I also can’t ignore how I feel. Rumours of her past also don’t help with this as well as a history of cheating on partners.
I’ve thought about asking her to wear less revealing clothes when I’m not out with her, until I feel more comfortable but I equally don’t want to give the impression that I’m controlling (maybe I am but I can’t ignore my feelings anymore).

Hiya,
You obviously have given this a lot of thought and your heart seems to be in the right place so i wouldn’t call yourself controlling- your worries are natural. I get that it could be difficult having a partner who others are attracted to and how that could make you insecure but you have to remember that at the end of the day, clothes are not what make a person loyal or disloyal. I think that unfortunately, if she is going to cheat, she will do it regardless of what she’s wearing. And she could go out in a literal potato sack and someone could still try and hit on her. Even with a huge neon sign that says “i have a boyfriend back off!!!” a woman could still get hit on; it’s an unfortunate part of going out clubbing but it doesn’t mean that she actually is going to cheat yk? Also, if she’s telling you about the guys that hit on her it pretty much means nothing happens and she doesn’t see it as a big deal or a threat to your relationship.

However, saying all that, if it really makes you insecure i would say have an open discussion (free of accusations) about how it makes you feel- but remember that it is totally her choice what she wears at the end of the day you’re just voicing your own insecurities which is equally okay and healthy.

Sorry if that was a bit waffley but hope i could help a bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ella07xyz
Hiya,
You obviously have given this a lot of thought and your heart seems to be in the right place so i wouldn’t call yourself controlling- your worries are natural. I get that it could be difficult having a partner who others are attracted to and how that could make you insecure but you have to remember that at the end of the day, clothes are not what make a person loyal or disloyal. I think that unfortunately, if she is going to cheat, she will do it regardless of what she’s wearing. And she could go out in a literal potato sack and someone could still try and hit on her. Even with a huge neon sign that says “i have a boyfriend back off!!!” a woman could still get hit on; it’s an unfortunate part of going out clubbing but it doesn’t mean that she actually is going to cheat yk? Also, if she’s telling you about the guys that hit on her it pretty much means nothing happens and she doesn’t see it as a big deal or a threat to your relationship.
However, saying all that, if it really makes you insecure i would say have an open discussion (free of accusations) about how it makes you feel- but remember that it is totally her choice what she wears at the end of the day you’re just voicing your own insecurities which is equally okay and healthy.
Sorry if that was a bit waffley but hope i could help a bit :smile:

Thank you this was really helpful!
Thank you this was really helpful!

ofc no worries 👍
Reply 4
Insecurity and possessiveness only drive girls away. Plus it’s not right to try to dictate what your partner wears. Your best bet is to accept things as they are and see what happens
Reply 5
You are right to be feeling this way, I’d have a word with her about her outfits to the club and see how it goes, especially given the rumours of her previous history. Hope this helps

Maybe change your mind when you see how she's dressed and not go clubbing.
She's dressed sexy and reports to you all the guys interested in her. To me it's red flags.

Tell her how you feel and ask her to dress more modestly. If she refuses, you wish her the best and move on with your life.
Reply 8

Are you guys in a commited relationship? Or is it a fairly casual thing ? 5 months seems like a long time to be casually dating.
It doesn't sound like you're controlling in anyway to be fair. I'm more concerned about how she's openly telling you that guys are hitting on her.
For me it seems like you both need to have a discussion about where you want this to go. Either commit to one another or continue dating casually, or break it off. And establish some boundaries
Would you not enjoy going clubbing with her when she has a short skirt or dress on?.After all she is dressing to show off her body and please her man.
Reply 10

When I was in an official relationship (currently single) my ex before our breakup did txt me "hey I'm uncomfortable knowing that you tend to wear only undergarments and an oversized T without pants to bed, and that you're in an out of state university with a male roommate." Personally I compromised with him because he spoke up about it. Where I would be properly dressed to sleep. Though he said "I don't trust you, how can I?" and then that led to the breakup. So for your situation confront her and speak about how uncomfortable you are about it and be vulnerable about it, let her listen to you concerns first before she says anything else to cut you off. Then listen to what she says and talk it out with each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending