The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aiko
Curiously, what did you pick up? Whilst it was by no means the best season we've had, I found everything I picked up watchable, certainly those that carried over from the previous season.

Without counting sequels and shows that have been carrying on from last season-

Tamako Market
Sasami-san
Kotoura-san
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Cuticle Tantei inaba (although I didn't try to watch more than one episode so I might get back to it)
The rest (such as Vividred, senran kagura etc) wasn't that good from the trailers or plot.

Don't get me wrong though I was still watching shows from last season and have a few which are now some of my favourites (notably psycho-pass) but as far as brand new shows go, it was awful.
Original post by Aiko

Spoiler

Wow just wow :lol: I actually enjoyed reading all of that essay you wrote me :smile:
Hi, first post in this thread.

Have you guys started picking out what your going to be watching in the new spring season? http://randomc.net/2013/03/28/spring-2013-preview/#suisei

I've picked out 6/7 that I'll watch but I'm definitely most excited about Attack On Titan.
Reply 4383
Finished Psycho Pass. :smile: Good series. Although it did at first have a similar feel to guilty clown(The animation was similar and the OP/ED featured the bunch who did the ones for that series) It was loads better.:tongue: For a start there were no annoying characters and the plot was handled nicely. Animation was good, really did that futuristic city well. I liked the soundtrack also mostly. Fit the dark at times, dramatic at others tone and the OPs/EDs. Except for that second OP... yeah it was the engrish.:mmm: Yes quite humerous.:giggle: Glad to see there might be more.:beard:
Reply 4384
Original post by Top Hats

Have you guys started picking out what your going to be watching in the new spring season? http://randomc.net/2013/03/28/spring-2013-preview/#suisei

I've picked out 6/7 that I'll watch but I'm definitely most excited about Attack On Titan.

Hi there!

I'm planning to watch at least a few episodes of the mecha shows so I can whine about the use of CG models for the giant robots. I'm familiar with the source material for Attack on Titan and Aku no Hana, and I'll probably watch at least a bit of the former. I've been meaning to watch Yamato 2199 for a while but I don't feel very enthused about it. Perhaps I'll store it for later.

Welcome to the society. :smile:

I already put together a preview thread for the new season. :yes: Am also very excited about Attack on Titan, though the series I'm most looking forward to is Aku no Hana, because I'm already loving the manga series. :biggrin:
Reply 4386
Hmmm Ive not watched most of the last two seasons.:erm: Id already picked some to watch from the one before, but havnt even bothered to look at the last one's line up. And now another is upon us.:hmmm:
Original post by QHF
Hi there!

I'm planning to watch at least a few episodes of the mecha shows so I can whine about the use of CG models for the giant robots. I'm familiar with the source material for Attack on Titan and Aku no Hana, and I'll probably watch at least a bit of the former. I've been meaning to watch Yamato 2199 for a while but I don't feel very enthused about it. Perhaps I'll store it for later.

The main mecha show I'm looking to watch will be Kakumeiki Valvrave. It doesn't seem hugely original but it looks interesting enough to reel me in.

What are CG models/wrong with CG models?
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Welcome to the society. :smile:

I already put together a preview thread for the new season. :yes: Am also very excited about Attack on Titan, though the series I'm most looking forward to is Aku no Hana, because I'm already loving the manga series. :biggrin:

Yeah, Aku no Hana went on my list as soon as I read it. It's going to be my main 'deep' anime this season. How for are you into the manga? I don't read anime but I heard they really dial up the crazy...
Original post by vin
Finished Psycho Pass. :smile: Good series. Although it did at first have a similar feel to guilty clown(The animation was similar and the OP/ED featured the bunch who did the ones for that series) It was loads better.:tongue: For a start there were no annoying characters and the plot was handled nicely. Animation was good, really did that futuristic city well. I liked the soundtrack also mostly. Fit the dark at times, dramatic at others tone and the OPs/EDs. Except for that second OP... yeah it was the engrish.:mmm: Yes quite humerous.:giggle: Glad to see there might be more.:beard:

Psycho pass was good but IMHO the ending wasn't satisfying.

When I figure out how to use the spoiler thingy I'll tell you why, lol.

The OPs/EDs were really good. I really liked the English OP - whenever you hear it you always get straight into the Psycho pass mood.
Yeah, Aku no Hana went on my list as soon as I read it. It's going to be my main 'deep' anime this season. How for are you into the manga? I don't read anime but I heard they really dial up the crazy...

I'm four volumes into it, waiting on Vertical's release of volume five in a month's time. It has gotten pretty crazy. :p:

When I figure out how to use the spoiler thingy I'll tell you why, lol.

Type [noparse]

Spoiler

[/noparse] for spoiler tags. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm four volumes into it, waiting on Vertical's release of volume five in a month's time. It has gotten pretty crazy. :p:

wait until volume 6 it goes up a whole new level :colone: :bird:

ooh theyve finally released a couple more volumes gona check them out after my exams, cant wait for the anime adaptation as well, will be interesting to see how they do it :beard:
Reply 4392
What are CG models/wrong with CG models?

Sorry for the following spiel, it's a bit of a hobby-horse of mine.

It's common to animate giant robots nowadays by making three-dimensional computer models (as you might use in full 3DCG animation like what Pixar does) and then moving them against a background of 2D animation.* This has advantages -- for example, it generally keeps the robot looking more consistently detailed, whereas in 2D-only mecha animation you tend to get noticeable differences in robot detail within the same shot at different distances (if you look at this stitched image, for example, you can see how different details in the design have to be dumped as they get further away) -- or fluctuation in design/detail/proportions between shots. And if CG models are used with care and attention the results can be pretty impressive. The Gundam Unicorn OVAs which have come out over the past few years have had a mixture of 2D mecha animation on the one hand and good CG models mostly integrated pretty well into their surroundings on the other.

But sometimes CG models are used in haste by a team working to a tough schedule with not much money to spend. Then you get poor integration with the surrounding animation, where the models possess a kind of weightlessness in relation to their 2D environment (weightlessness being an effect you don't really want in your big stompy fighting machines). You can get timing discrepancies which contribute to this effect too, where the models' movement isn't timed to the same rate as the movement of the animation around them.

That annoys me a bit. I try not to get too seriously annoyed by it, though: I suppose at the end of the day if the animators don't have much money/time to work with we were never going to get anything particularly spectacular, whatever method they were planning to use. And the use of CG has been improving over time (compare the CG mecha in Vandread, a TV show from 2000, to what we see now, for example).

I just like to have something to complain about, really. And I'm sad that we don't get sick hand-drawn moments like this anymore.

* Though, actually, the background might also use some CG models to quickly fill in buildings, &c... anyway.
Wolf's Rain! Got to be my favourite series & Howl's Moving Castle is favourite film

Posted from TSR Mobile
aw anime sub forum is now gone :emo:

Original post by Aiko

I saw the first episode of this. Dramatic, indeed. However, I could tell from the preview that the anime would probably focus more on the comedy, and given how many I was watching at the time, I didn't continue with it. One day, I guess. :redface:

:five:

New Challenger was great. Looking forward to a season 3. :yes:

finished it and omg the latter stages of that last fight :coma:

Spoiler

ooh season 3 when when when? :teeth:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
aw anime sub forum is now gone :emo:

Sad days :frown: it'll be interesting to see how many threads are actually started about anime since the move. The move could work wonders or destroy us.

Away from the doom and gloom :biggrin: its time to plough on with the list I knocked up a while ago.
Original post by vin

Bah, SPUUUUUUKIEE BUUUUUUUUGIEE was the best use of English.

I've found anything that Gen Urobuchi has worked on to be highly watchable, including Fate/Zero and Puella Magi.

P.S. I would also like one of these:
Hm, quite liked Aku no Hana. It's pretty much a drama but trippy in such a melancholic way~. I definitely liked that the people acted like people rather than anime characters. Ok the animation can get pretty ugly but I've always liked enjoyed the weird, ugly and harsh in music and art so I can appreciate it fine.

I've never bothered reading other people's opinions about anime before but I enjoyed reading all the crying -so much-. I hope that the supermad people feel miserable every time a new episode is released. Being me, I'm kind of glad that people dislike it. I just hope that the story execution will be good~

time to watch josei
So ive picked up Photo kano sweet snap and Hataraku Maou-Sama, first time since 3 months i got back into anime finally decent things on (after sao/psycho pass)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meowmeowmutiny
Hm, quite liked Aku no Hana. It's pretty much a drama but trippy in such a melancholic way~. I definitely liked that the people acted like people rather than anime characters. Ok the animation can get pretty ugly but I've always liked enjoyed the weird, ugly and harsh in music and art so I can appreciate it fine.

I've never bothered reading other people's opinions about anime before but I enjoyed reading all the crying -so much-. I hope that the supermad people feel miserable every time a new episode is released. Being me, I'm kind of glad that people dislike it. I just hope that the story execution will be good~

time to watch josei

While I much prefer the art style of the manga, I'm more than happy to give the anime a chance - it's not as though I have to stop reading the manga to do so. The 'realistic', rotoscoped animation style may even suit some scenes more than the 'cuter' manga style, if handled well.

I read all the comments on the fansubber's site, as well as two different download sites, because I couldn't get enough of the rage. :giggle:

Latest