The Student Room Group

Would you rather fight in WW2 or Vietnam?

Scroll to see replies

WW2. I'm all for stoppin' some Nazis.
Reply 81
Original post by Thomas2
No worries. Are you studying the Vietnam War or just generally interested?

Just interested. I'm quite a war enthusiast but sadly never got to study any!
Reply 82
Original post by katetaylor
Just interested. I'm quite a war enthusiast but sadly never got to study any!

There's also quite a good series of documentaries available on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ZsL_sheco

Quite informative.
Reply 83
Original post by Thomas2

Quite informative.

I'll check them out. I watched Vietnam: The Lost Tapes on The History Channel a few months ago which was also pretty good.
Probably WW2 if it were on the western front. But in either vietnam or ww2 I wouldn't be expecting to come out of it alive.

- Is it an option to be working in intelligence or something? ...Away from the front line?
Ww2. At least then you'd far more confident you were fighting a just war.
Original post by nexttime
How is 'counteraction to communism' not idealogical?

It's more strategic than ideological persuasion. It wasn't in strategic interests to have spheres of influence deterred by marxism as it would render most cooperation with the United States and her allies, in trade, in alliances, essentially redundant.

If the US were fighting so hard for freedom and democracy, why would they pin up dictatorships through the best part of the 20th century?
Reply 87
Original post by Thomas2

Quite informative.

I've finally got through them all and they were great! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you seen the WW2 in HD video series? Might watch those next :smile:
Reply 88
I've finally got through them all and they were great! Thanks for the recommendation. Have you seen the WW2 in HD video series? Might watch those next :smile:

You're welcome. I thought the last episode was quite poignant re: Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't think I've seen the WW2 ones. I did have a look at a few YouTube documentaries about the Korean War - another conflict I knew relatively little about.
WW2. Not only would you be fighting a just war, but you'd also miss out on those Viet Cong booby traps which would be the worst death ever. Especially the trip wire followed by the wall of spikes which fly at you.

F*ck that.
Reply 90
Original post by Thomas2
You're welcome. I thought the last episode was quite poignant re: Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't think I've seen the WW2 ones. I did have a look at a few YouTube documentaries about the Korean War - another conflict I knew relatively little about.

Definitely. I'm not ashamed to admit to was in tears a few times, particularly when the POW was returned home. I learnt a lot though, so thanks again! I'm moving on to WW2 and then maybe i'll look at the Korean War. We touched on it a little at A2 but only as an aside. Our focus was The Cold War and our teacher didn't deem it relavent.
Reply 91
Definitely. I'm not ashamed to admit to was in tears a few times, particularly when the POW was returned home. I learnt a lot though, so thanks again! I'm moving on to WW2 and then maybe i'll look at the Korean War. We touched on it a little at A2 but only as an aside. Our focus was The Cold War and our teacher didn't deem it relavent.

They were still using WW2-style fighter planes at the beginning but it rapidly moved to more modern technology.
Reply 92

Your teacher didn't deem the UN taking military action against USSR-supported communists relevant to the Cold War?!
Reply 93
Original post by nexttime
Your teacher didn't deem the UN taking military action against USSR-supported communists relevant to the Cold War?!

Our coursework topics were more to do with The Marshall Plan and The Arms Race sadly.
Reply 94
WW2 , atleast i'm not fighting/dying for a pointless cause
I wouldn't care which war I fought in, as long as the only weapons allowed were Jelly and Custard.
Original post by billgreenjeans
Why would you ask such a question? How could any answer help?

War is not a game. Why would anyone, in a sane mind, chose to be in a war. Obviously Katetaylor has no clue what war is about. Should I paint the picture of blown up bodies with heads missing and other body parts, human suffering on many sides. Katetaylor get an intelligent subject to thread about.
Reply 97
Original post by billgreenjeans
War is not a game. Why would anyone, in a sane mind, chose to be in a war. Obviously Katetaylor has no clue what war is about. Should I paint the picture of blown up bodies with heads missing and other body parts, human suffering on many sides. Katetaylor get an intelligent subject to thread about.

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to read the intelligent responses on this thread and jumped straight away to nagging. If you don't like a thread then don't click it, it's that simple. War is devastating but we still study it in History and compare one war with another. Have you shouted at teachers too? I didn't think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WW2. At least you'd be fighting for a honourable and just cause. Same cannot be said about Vietnam.

Obviously I would fight for the British, not the Russians or Americans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Vietnam. I'd like to think I'd spend most of my time listening to Jefferson Airplane while getting high in a tank.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending