The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry Mass Spectra help

I was looking at this example in my textbook and saw that there is a small peak at the end for an m/z of 59 and 60 for both propanal and propanone? How did this arise if the relative molecular mass of both molecules are 58?
CHEMHELP.jpg
Original post by scientific222
I was looking at this example in my textbook and saw that there is a small peak at the end for an m/z of 59 and 60 for both propanal and propanone? How did this arise if the relative molecular mass of both molecules are 58?
CHEMHELP.jpg

The presence of hydrogen isotopes and other isotopes.
Original post by scientific222
CHEMHELP.jpg

Original post by charco
The presence of hydrogen isotopes and other isotopes.

Probably due to carbon 13 and other O isotopes rather than H isotopes.
Original post by JMaydom

This is correct OP, or at least more likely to be correct than Hydrogen isotopes

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
Original post by JMaydom

On consideration, I see that you are quite right. Carbon 13 makes up over 1% of naturally occurring carbon, while deuterium is only about 0.02%.

My first thought was that as there are many hydrogen atoms in the structures the deuterium would also be significant, but even with butane this only has a minor contribution compared to 13C.

Thanks for the correction.
Original post by charco
On consideration, I see that you are quite right. Carbon 13 makes up over 1% of naturally occurring carbon, while deuterium is only about 0.02%.

My first thought was that as there are many hydrogen atoms in the structures the deuterium would also be significant, but even with butane this only has a minor contribution compared to 13C.

Thanks for the correction.

A pleasure :P

Quick Reply

Latest