The Student Room Group

Iran Opens Two Nuclear Sites!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MENDACIUM
Israel, the country that owns nuclear weapons and has used illegal war weapon on gazan civilian populations and continues violating international law by building illegal settlements?

Yes. As much as I'd like them to stop doing such things, a Nuclear Iran is a much bigger threat to regional and world security.
Reply 21
Clear illustration that Britain needs to maintain its nuclear deterrent. And replace Trident. £20 Billion or nuclear uncertainty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Aj12
If Iran arms itself with nuclear weapons other nations in the region will follow, the chance of miscalculation becomes very, very high. I don't think Iran would develop nuclear weapons and start nuking everyone but the scope for an accidental nuclear exchange becomes incredibly high. Just look how close things have become between the USA and USSR, India and Pakistan. The last thing the world needs is a similar situation in the Middle East

I know for a fact Iran will not use a nuclear bomb. They are allowing international organisations to come in and inspect them. We all need to remove political prejudices and honestly look at the real enemies here. North Korea - whether it's a façade or not- are the biggest threat in the middle east.
Reply 23
Original post by Hilly1
Clear illustration that Britain needs to maintain its nuclear deterrent. And replace Trident. £20 Billion or nuclear uncertainty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's false. Iran is not going to Nuke Britain , and I'm not even sure if it even is building a nuclear arsenal.
It allows international inspections, unlike North Korea.
Reply 24
I know for a fact Iran will not use a nuclear bomb. They are allowing international organisations to come in and inspect them. We all need to remove political prejudices and honestly look at the real enemies here. North Korea - whether it's a façade or not- are the biggest threat in the middle east.

It's interesting mentioning North Korea in this. They and Iran have a long history of nuclear and missile technology cooperation. Granted Iran is working with nuclear inspectors now but it is yet to be seen if anything will come of it. North Korea was working with nuclear inspectors right up until their first nuclear test
Reply 25
That's false. Iran is not going to Nuke Britain , and I'm not even sure if it even is building a nuclear arsenal.

Or the nuclear inspections are a facade to deter military action from Israel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Double standards be damned, Iran simply can't be trusted to have nuclear weapons. It's absurd to think that a country with middle-age belief systems can have 21st century capabilities of destruction.
Reply 27
Original post by doggyfizzel
I don't think its even a double standard. Britain isn't developing a nuclear weapon, we have been dropping and dropping our stockpile, the numbers active or carried, we aren't threatening countries with nuclear strikes.

Well it's not a double standard from my perspective as I support global disarmament, and likewise from the UK for the reasons you give, but it seems to be one if the US, India, China and Russia are backing the cessation of Iran's nuclear ambitions.
Reply 28
Original post by doggyfizzel
Irrelevant, no one is looking at a conventional. I doubt the Army would be involved in any meaningful capacity. The most likely situation would be aerial bombardment of specific sites, something which would be far more achievable. Lasting a few days at most. Iran are clearly taking it seriously hence all the bravado releasing images of new planes, ships and technologies, what purpose does that serve if not to project a image of military strength.

Threat is Israel is also irrelevant, home made rockets are little threat compared to larger nuclear armed hostile neighbour. Its easily the lesser of two evils. They certainly wouldn't be going at it alone.

I imagine Iran would try to respond surely? They aren't just going to take strikes against them without any sort of convectional response.
Iran is well within its rights to develop nuclear energy for peaceful means. ZERO proof that is developing a nuclear weapon. Again disgusting double standards from the West and the members of TSR.
For **** sake. They are not making nuclear weapons.
(edited 11 years ago)
No. Then again I support universal nuclear disarmament. But I certainly don't think totalitarian dictatorships should have them, no.
Reply 32

Original post by Inzamam99
Iran is well within its rights to develop nuclear energy for peaceful means. ZERO proof that is developing a nuclear weapon. Again disgusting double standards from the West and the members of TSR.

Original post by stackemup
For **** sake. They are not making nuclear weapons.

And you all know this... how?

Iran's nuclear bomb program complete

Spoiler

Take your time to read the above before coming back. That Iran has nuclear ambitions is without doubt, but they have long said it was for civilian power. Fair enough. But why build it so far under a mountain if that was the case? Why build it with power lines feeding power in to the facility rather than out? Why build it so far away from a population source? Nuclear power stations lose a lot of energy in transmission so need to be nearby the towns they provide power for.
If it's not a civilian project then the only logical conclusion we can come to is that it's a military - and therefore a weapons - programme.
Reply 33
I'd welcome Israeli rocket attacks on Nuclear sites should negotiations fail. We cannot have another North Korea (nutty state gaining Nuclear Weapons).
Original post by JC.
Can't say I'm really in favor of ANYONE having nuclear weapons.
Having said that, I don't see what right a nation WITH nuclear weapons has to tell another country that they can't have them.
Massive double standards.

Whilst nuclear disarmament in the region is probably the best option, it hardly follows that because one country has nukes then they cannot tell others to have them. Quite simply, certain countries are more trustworthy than others. It's a bit like suggesting that peaceful gun owners in the USA have no right to say that criminals do not deserve to own guns. Regardless of your views on gun ownership I'm sure you'll agree that some people are better trusted than others. Western nations and NATO members have proven that they are capable of owning nuclear weapons without posing a threat. The same cannot be said for countries like North Korea. I'd rather live with hypocrisy than a nuclear-armed Iran.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending