The Student Room Group

deleted

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by spliced
I’m in year 12, feeling super lost about what course to take at Uni. My background is strong (I got 99999999988 at GCSE’s and recently got A*A*A* in maths, psychology and geography in my end of year mocks) but I’m just struggling with picking what to do, as i’ve never had a set path in mind. There are a couple of routes i’ve considered as i’ll list below:

1. Psychology: Have always found this interesting, and was pretty set on doing it, but everytime I settle on it I back track and start doubting it (mainly because of prospects). I have a particular interest in the neuroscience aspect, but wouldn’t be able to do a degree in neuroscience as I don’t do bio/chem and so was thinking I could take on cognitive neuroscience or something similar as a masters after the undergrad in psych. And if I decide I don’t want to pursue psych in the long term I can go into HR, marketing etc (but these are not the most appealing to me).

2. Environmental science/planetary science/geology: I actually like physical geography a lot (not a fan of human at all), and could see myself going into a related sector. A limitation again though is my lack of natural sciences at a level. Would this be a considerable option? The humanitarian sector is also something that appeals to me.

3. Architecture: this one is more unlikely as I dont take art at a level (which I believe is preferred), but I did achieve a 9 in Art at GCSE (not sure if it holds any value). This is an interesting option for me as I feel like it combines a range of skills, and naturally I am more of a creative person. I do think I would be able to pursue this, but maybe just not at a top uni.

I’m unsure on what I want to do in the long term which is why i’m struggling. I have considered many other options aswell (such as doing law (GDL) following a psych degree, going into tech somehow, and even dwelling on a more creative pathways in fashion or writing). I’m capable with more logical subjects (eg Maths), but I have noticed that naturally I have always been better in creative subjects like Art and English. In terms of passion, I have always loved psych and forensics.

Does anyone have any advice overall on how to pick a degree when you have no clue what to pursue in the future? Sorry this post is so long, I’ve just been in a crisis thinking about the future. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Don’t worry too much about what career you might end up doing, as the vast majority a grad schemes do not require specific subjects, and the vast majority of people end up in careers that are not directly related to those degrees. Do what you are interested in and think you will enjoy the most.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Go to some Uni Open Days in May/June/September and sign up for the subject presentations for a range of different subjects - these will explain exactly what doing these subjects at degree level is all about.
Reply 3
Its worth doing some online personality tests which can guide you on possible careers that suit your personality. For example, I am into attention to detail so the personality test suggested law, accounting or project management for me. Sorry not allowed to share the link to the personality test by Student Room staff.
Reply 4
Good careers site with lots of career profiles and job roles - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
Reply 5
One degree I really would not recommend unless you plan on going on to Masters or PhD is a Psychology degree. The country seems to be overloaded with Psychology grads and not enough related well-paying jobs. Most Psychology grads don't end up in a related job.

For the best career choices you might want to pick a Maths related degree - Maths, MORSE, Economics, Accounting/Finance, Data Science (if you enjoy Statistics).
Reply 6
Agree with the above - you should have a look at maths/ stats related degrees. Would foundation years be an option to open up more science related courses?
Reply 7
Original post by nutz99
One degree I really would not recommend unless you plan on going on to Masters or PhD is a Psychology degree. The country seems to be overloaded with Psychology grads and not enough related well-paying jobs. Most Psychology grads don't end up in a related job.

For the best career choices you might want to pick a Maths related degree - Maths, MORSE, Economics, Accounting/Finance, Data Science (if you enjoy Statistics).

OP didn't state that as an option.

OP- if you enjoy psychology than do psychology. It is a bad idea to do a degree simply because it has supposedly good employment prospects
Reply 8
Original post by Dnsnnssn
OP didn't state that as an option.

OP- if you enjoy psychology than do psychology. It is a bad idea to do a degree simply because it has supposedly good employment prospects

I suggest you read what he actually posted. He asked for advice on picking a degree. I gave him advice.

Enjoying an A level subject is not always a good indicator that you would enjoy the same subject degree. I know a few people who have graduated Psychology and if they could turn the clock back, would do. There is a tremendous amount of essay work in Psychology. I would not recommend a Psychology degree to anyone.
Original post by spliced
I’m in year 12, feeling super lost about what course to take at Uni. My background is strong (I got 99999999988 at GCSE’s and recently got A*A*A* in maths, psychology and geography in my end of year mocks) but I’m just struggling with picking what to do, as i’ve never had a set path in mind. There are a couple of routes i’ve considered as i’ll list below:

1. Psychology: Have always found this interesting, and was pretty set on doing it, but everytime I settle on it I back track and start doubting it (mainly because of prospects). I have a particular interest in the neuroscience aspect, but wouldn’t be able to do a degree in neuroscience as I don’t do bio/chem and so was thinking I could take on cognitive neuroscience or something similar as a masters after the undergrad in psych. And if I decide I don’t want to pursue psych in the long term I can go into HR, marketing etc (but these are not the most appealing to me).

2. Environmental science/planetary science/geology: I actually like physical geography a lot (not a fan of human at all), and could see myself going into a related sector. A limitation again though is my lack of natural sciences at a level. Would this be a considerable option? The humanitarian sector is also something that appeals to me.

3. Architecture: this one is more unlikely as I dont take art at a level (which I believe is preferred), but I did achieve a 9 in Art at GCSE (not sure if it holds any value). This is an interesting option for me as I feel like it combines a range of skills, and naturally I am more of a creative person. I do think I would be able to pursue this, but maybe just not at a top uni.

I’m unsure on what I want to do in the long term which is why i’m struggling. I have considered many other options aswell (such as doing law (GDL) following a psych degree, going into tech somehow, and even dwelling on a more creative pathways in fashion or writing). I’m capable with more logical subjects (eg Maths), but I have noticed that naturally I have always been better in creative subjects like Art and English. In terms of passion, I have always loved psych and forensics.

Does anyone have any advice overall on how to pick a degree when you have no clue what to pursue in the future? Sorry this post is so long, I’ve just been in a crisis thinking about the future. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hiya,

I understand picking your degree can be challenging! It definitely needs to be something you are passionate about because University is something you need to be dedicated too!

I chose Psychology because I loved learning about it in A level. I understand you enjoy the cognitive neuroscience aspect, well throughout the Psychology course you do learn about cognitive psychology and in your third year one of the options at DMU is cognitive neuroscience and my friends tell me about how interesting it is! If you want to find out more check out our DMU Psychology information!

There are so many different degrees to choose from! If you are looking for a more creative course then you should definitely consider something within the arts and humanities faculty! At DMU we have an amazing arts faculty in our famous Vijay Patel Building

My advice for you is to look on University websites and look at the courses offered. For example these are the courses we do at DMU if you are interested DMU Courses. Go to many open days too to learn more about the courses, you will be able to talk to lecturers and current students and this helps a lot when picking what degree you want to study.

I hope this helps and best wishes for the future,
-Tianna :smile:

Hi,

Picking what degree to do at University is a really difficult decision to make!

Trying to weigh up the course content and the actual University can be a really hard decision, what helped me make my final decision was going to a lot of Open days and speaking to academics and current students. As well as that I was able to experience the University, the facilities and the Cities I would have been studying in.

I will link here to a thread about Open Days.

I hope this helps!

Dafydd
Hey!

Although you are feeling stressed about this decision you seem to have some clear pros and cons for each option, which is a great place to start!
My first piece of advice would be to look at the modules different universities offer for each course and see if any of these particularly spark your interest. Choosing a degree you have a genuine interest in is so important as you are expected to do a lot of independent reading and if you find the topic boring this will not be an enjoyable experience.
Additionally, I would advise you to consider other aspects about the universities you are looking at such as; is it a campus or city university? what societies do they offer? what facilities do they have? University life is so much bigger than simply the course you choose.
Overall, none of the courses you have listed will completely cut off future career paths so I would suggest you focus on what you find most interesting, that way you are more likely to end up in a career you enjoy in the future.

Hope this helps, Faye
Original post by spliced
I’m in year 12, feeling super lost about what course to take at Uni. I’m just struggling with picking what to do, as i’ve never had a set path in mind. There are a couple of routes i’ve considered as i’ll list below:

Original post by spliced
I’m in year 12, feeling super lost about what course to take at Uni. I’m just struggling with picking what to do, as i’ve never had a set path in mind. There are a couple of routes i’ve considered as i’ll list below:

What are you current A levels. Have you thought about re starting year 12 again with appropriate subjects or taking a foundation year before your degree to get you into the subject you want to do.
Original post by swanseajack1
What are you current A levels. Have you thought about re starting year 12 again with appropriate subjects or taking a foundation year before your degree to get you into the subject you want to do.

Keele are offering Neuroscience where you dont need A level Biology or Chemistry. You could use Psychology as one. Here is their list

A level - ABB

To include 2 Science A levels. Science subjects include Applied Science, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electronics, Engineering, Environmental Science, Food Science/ Technology, Further Maths, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Maths, Physics, Psychology, Sports Science and Statistics.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by spliced

Hi there!

I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a Natural Sciences BSc so thought I could give my experience with the degree as it sounds like it could be something that could work well for you! The requirements for the course are: A level grade A in two sciences from the following; Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Information Technology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. So if you had the psychology and geography then you would be eligible for the course.

Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from physical geography, psycology, environmental science, mathematics, engineering, earth sciences, and more, so there are many different possible combinations! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ . There is also the possibility to study a biology pathway without having studied biology at A level - this could be interesting if you wanted to lean into the forensics side?

I studied mechanical engineering and physical geography as part of my Natural Sciences degree because I enjoyed both and couldn't decide which I wanted to do. I also had no clue what I wanted to do in the future! I ended up finding my passion in an area between the two - renewable energies/climate change. I'm studying my Masters degree at the minute and I have a graduate job lined up in nuclear fusion energy which I wouldn't have been able to predict before my degree!

If you chose to study both psychology and environmental science, it could give you time to further pursue both of your areas of enjoyment. Also, if you realised at the end of your first year that psychology alone, for example, was actually the subject that you wanted to study, there is the possibility of transferring onto a single honours degree.

Best of luck with all of your applications, if you have any further questions, feel free to let me know!

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending