The Student Room Group

American Football

Im from the UK and play American Football. I think its a great sport and think its a shame that people never wanna give it a go, im just curious to why people dislike it in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dante Maretto
Im from the UK and play American Football. I think its a great sport and think its a shame that people never wanna give it a go, im just curious to why people dislike it in the UK

I think the popularity is increasing here. I play as well.
Cool what team?
It just annoys me when people criticize it before attempting it especially rugby lads
Lets just say its one of South Wales Warriors, Sussex Thunder, London Warriors. Gotta keep my self private :tongue:

How about you?
If you played for warriors i would be impressed.
I play for Shropshire Revolution

Its not rugby though
If you played for warriors i would be impressed.
I play for Shropshire Revolution

Its not rugby though

Nah its not the Warriors :tongue:
Did you play britbowl last year?
I dont know any of the welsh teams
what league are they in?
Did you play britbowl last year?
I dont know any of the welsh teams
what league are they in?

Sat out last year with an ACL tear. Only played one game.
Firstly
Im not american

Secondly
Theres similarities but you cant knock a sport till you try it

Thirdly
Its pretty popular in europe as well

Give it time, London will have a franchise again eventually!
Original post by Benjie
It's rugby for people with no stamina so have to swap to a different team to defend and have to wear huge plastic pads because there scared. American football players think rugby plays are really hard for not wearing pads and that's a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hits are harder in American football because they wear padding. The other thing is that actually they are two different games...

This is one of the primary reasons that English people aren't into American football; because it's "rugby for wimps" or "it should be called handegg" or whatever. I don't think many people understand quite what American football is or about and just go about judging it based on preconceptions which are often wrong...

/rant
In the 80s American football was popular over here with nearly every city having a team. Now because of lack of money most of them have closed down. But back then people were willing to play and watch it so what makes it different now.
People need to try before they judge because they have no experience of the game to base their assumptions on.
It must be a good game if most universitys have a team
Funny how rugby players say the same thing when they actually try to play American football. AF is short extremely quick high impact game. Rugby is longer more endurance kind of game.
Original post by Benjie
It's rugby for people with no stamina so have to swap to a different team to defend and have to wear huge plastic pads because there scared. American football players think rugby plays are really hard for not wearing pads and that's a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guarantee you wouldn't play AF without the pads.
Original post by Benjie

Posted from TSR Mobile

No stamina??? matches last 3hr 30mins.....
Reply 14
Ok
(edited 11 years ago)
Read this. This is one of the best things ive read on the similarities and differences. they aren't the same sport, but they are very similar.

Questions like this are difficult to answer, because they usually indicate that the asker is basically unfamiliar with one of the sports involved in the comparison. First of all rugby players do wear pads -- just not the rigid plastic sort that gridiron players use. The rule in rugby is that the material must be soft, and no more than 1 cm uncompressed. You can find all sorts of thigh, shoulder, kidney and chest protectors available for rugby players within that rule. A lot of us (particularly the forwards) wear shin pads as well.

First of all there are very few substitutions allowed in rugby -- you dress 23 with 15 starters all substitutions are generally permanent. This means that at least 7 of starting players must be on the pitch for the entire 80 minutes. There are a lot fewer breaks in play as well. Believe me, after 75 minutes of running up and down the pitch and when you are into your seventh or eight mile, you are going to notice the extra weight from those rigid pads, and they are going to be interfering with your ability to run as well. You are also going to be having a lot of difficulty losing heat -- particularly if you are wearing an American style helmet. Heat stroke would be a real risk.

It is also important to realize that the nature and purpose of tackling (and more importantly rucking) in rugby is fundamentally different than in gridiron. In gridiron you want to stop the runner cold -- to not give up a single inch more than necessary -- because of the downs for distance system and the uncontested breakdown. A few inches can mean the difference between keeping or losing the ball So you hit the runner as hard as possible in order to kill his momentum. The position you end up in after the hit doesn't really matter, because once the runner is down, the ball is dead.

Not so in rugby. After the tackle the ball is still live -- a player off his feet must release the ball and make it available for some other player. As a result, the purpose of the tackle in that rugby is not so much to stop the runner (albeit that is generally a good thing) but to place the tackler in a position where he can remain on his feet and poach the ball. If you can flip the runner so that the ball is on the wrong side of his body, for the ruck so much the better. Similarly, the purpose of the ruck is to make the ball available to a teammate. Either way, you don't (in most circumstances) want to commit to the all-out charge or hit because it means that you can't stay on your feet and compete for the ball.

The laws are different too -- in rugby you can't lead with your head, leave your feet, or shoulder charge. You must make some attempt to "wrap" up the runner with your arms when making the tackle. Again, it makes the rigid padding less necessary.

One should also consider that the padding and especially the helmets may actually add to the danger as players (with a false sense of security) will tend to hit recklessly. Rugby certainly doesn't contend with the degree of deaths, crippling injuries and concussions (and early onset dementia that follows) that gridiron players experience.
Original post by Malevolent
Read this. This is one of the best things ive read on the similarities and differences. they aren't the same sport, but they are very similar.

Questions like this are difficult to answer, because they usually indicate that the asker is basically unfamiliar with one of the sports involved in the comparison. First of all rugby players do wear pads -- just not the rigid plastic sort that gridiron players use. The rule in rugby is that the material must be soft, and no more than 1 cm uncompressed. You can find all sorts of thigh, shoulder, kidney and chest protectors available for rugby players within that rule. A lot of us (particularly the forwards) wear shin pads as well.

First of all there are very few substitutions allowed in rugby -- you dress 23 with 15 starters all substitutions are generally permanent. This means that at least 7 of starting players must be on the pitch for the entire 80 minutes. There are a lot fewer breaks in play as well. Believe me, after 75 minutes of running up and down the pitch and when you are into your seventh or eight mile, you are going to notice the extra weight from those rigid pads, and they are going to be interfering with your ability to run as well. You are also going to be having a lot of difficulty losing heat -- particularly if you are wearing an American style helmet. Heat stroke would be a real risk.

It is also important to realize that the nature and purpose of tackling (and more importantly rucking) in rugby is fundamentally different than in gridiron. In gridiron you want to stop the runner cold -- to not give up a single inch more than necessary -- because of the downs for distance system and the uncontested breakdown. A few inches can mean the difference between keeping or losing the ball So you hit the runner as hard as possible in order to kill his momentum. The position you end up in after the hit doesn't really matter, because once the runner is down, the ball is dead.

Not so in rugby. After the tackle the ball is still live -- a player off his feet must release the ball and make it available for some other player. As a result, the purpose of the tackle in that rugby is not so much to stop the runner (albeit that is generally a good thing) but to place the tackler in a position where he can remain on his feet and poach the ball. If you can flip the runner so that the ball is on the wrong side of his body, for the ruck so much the better. Similarly, the purpose of the ruck is to make the ball available to a teammate. Either way, you don't (in most circumstances) want to commit to the all-out charge or hit because it means that you can't stay on your feet and compete for the ball.

The laws are different too -- in rugby you can't lead with your head, leave your feet, or shoulder charge. You must make some attempt to "wrap" up the runner with your arms when making the tackle. Again, it makes the rigid padding less necessary.

One should also consider that the padding and especially the helmets may actually add to the danger as players (with a false sense of security) will tend to hit recklessly. Rugby certainly doesn't contend with the degree of deaths, crippling injuries and concussions (and early onset dementia that follows) that gridiron players experience.

Gonna have to steal this for when the American football bashers come round... where did you get it from? :smile:
I love American Football :smile:
I love how it's growing recently for women here too. Is very exciting!
Reply 18
I don't know much about American football but i was very much into it when I watched it with my cousins in the states. I think the problem is that football is already so popular ppl don't want to try anything else. Plus it's hard to gain an interest coz it's not broadcasted much (like MOTD) and there seem to be too many breaks in it. Not fluid enough........

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Original post by AmeliaMadline
I love American Football :smile:
I love how it's growing recently for women here too. Is very exciting!

Yes, definitely! More and more women are beginning to play in BAFL it's great, respect those women a lot. Can't wait til I'm 18! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest