The Student Room Group

A level English literature coursework aqa

I’ve already chosen my 2 books I’ve chosen the picture of Dorian gray and American psycho however I’m struggling to figure out what my question should be. My teacher isn’t helping much I just don’t know how to word a question obviously both books do have similarities but I don’t know what question would fit best.
Crafting a strong and focused A-level English Literature coursework question is essential for guiding your analysis and exploration of the chosen texts. Since you've selected "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho," both of which contain intriguing themes and elements, here are a few potential questions that could serve as a starting point for your coursework:

1. Comparative Analysis of Moral Decay: To what extent do "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" explore and critique the theme of moral decay and its consequences?

2. Exploring the Duality of Human Nature: How do the protagonists of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" reflect and embody the concept of duality of human nature, and what message do these dualities convey about society and individual psychology?

3. Social Commentary and Critique: In what ways do "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" serve as social commentaries on the respective societies they depict, and how do the authors use their characters to critique societal norms and values?

4. Portrayal of Obsession and Self-Indulgence: Analyze the representation of obsession and self-indulgence in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these themes contribute to the characters' development and the overall messages of the texts?

5. Characterization and Psychological Exploration: Compare the psychological depths of the main characters in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How does each author use characterization to delve into the minds of their protagonists?

6. Narrative Techniques and Perspectives: Investigate the narrative techniques employed in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these techniques contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters and themes in each novel?

7. Representation of Hedonism and Excess: Explore the portrayal of hedonism and excess in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these concepts shape the characters' behaviors and the overall tone of the texts?

8. Gender and Identity: Analyze the construction of gender and identity in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these novels challenge or reinforce traditional gender roles and expectations?

Remember that your coursework question should be specific, focused, and open to meaningful analysis. It's important to choose a question that aligns with your interests and allows you to explore the connections and contrasts between the two texts effectively. Once you've chosen a question, you can delve into close readings, textual analysis, and research to develop a comprehensive and insightful coursework.
Reply 2
Original post by andrew tate01
Crafting a strong and focused A-level English Literature coursework question is essential for guiding your analysis and exploration of the chosen texts. Since you've selected "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho," both of which contain intriguing themes and elements, here are a few potential questions that could serve as a starting point for your coursework:

1. Comparative Analysis of Moral Decay: To what extent do "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" explore and critique the theme of moral decay and its consequences?

2. Exploring the Duality of Human Nature: How do the protagonists of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" reflect and embody the concept of duality of human nature, and what message do these dualities convey about society and individual psychology?

3. Social Commentary and Critique: In what ways do "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho" serve as social commentaries on the respective societies they depict, and how do the authors use their characters to critique societal norms and values?

4. Portrayal of Obsession and Self-Indulgence: Analyze the representation of obsession and self-indulgence in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these themes contribute to the characters' development and the overall messages of the texts?

5. Characterization and Psychological Exploration: Compare the psychological depths of the main characters in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How does each author use characterization to delve into the minds of their protagonists?

6. Narrative Techniques and Perspectives: Investigate the narrative techniques employed in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these techniques contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters and themes in each novel?

7. Representation of Hedonism and Excess: Explore the portrayal of hedonism and excess in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these concepts shape the characters' behaviors and the overall tone of the texts?

8. Gender and Identity: Analyze the construction of gender and identity in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "American Psycho." How do these novels challenge or reinforce traditional gender roles and expectations?

Remember that your coursework question should be specific, focused, and open to meaningful analysis. It's important to choose a question that aligns with your interests and allows you to explore the connections and contrasts between the two texts effectively. Once you've chosen a question, you can delve into close readings, textual analysis, and research to develop a comprehensive and insightful coursework.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest