The Student Room Group

£10 MILLION publically funded funeral for Thatcher?!?!!??!

WTF!!!! I wouldn't care if it was like a normal couple grand funeral but 10 ****ing million???? what are they doing, having her stuffed with diamonds and sticking her in a solid gold show case for the british museum?!?!?!

why are we spending so much on this???? or have i got totally the wrong end of the stick? it's bloody ridiculous if it's true!

Scroll to see replies

Apparently, Mr William Hague and Prime Minister Cameron asserted that Mrs Thatcher's efforts regarding the EU brought £75billion into the country; ergo, they reason, the millions spent on her funeral arrangements do not even make a dent in that.

Additionally, Mrs Thatcher's estate is also bearing some of the costs.

Finally, I believe the cost is so massive due to the amount of people who will be turning up which include the high and mighty such as former Heads of States and World Leaders, not to mention Her Majesty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
£10 000 000 isn't that much in terms of state money, and given the scale of it, the security required and so forth, it is a reasonable figure.

I personally do not think that Thatcher should get a state-funded funeral—especially because Attlee didn't—but it isn't a huge amount of money. It IS however in terms of how much difference it could make to individual people, the worst off in society whom this government has in recent weeks done so much to harm. Should such a divisive Prime Minister be given state money? I don't think so. But the ~50% who think she was great would probably disagree.
I'm pretty sure that ammount, probably more will be taken from the family in inheritance tax anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Bellissima
WTF!!!! I wouldn't care if it was like a normal couple grand funeral but 10 ****ing million???? what are they doing, having her stuffed with diamonds and sticking her in a solid gold show case for the british museum?!?!?!

why are we spending so much on this???? or have i got totally the wrong end of the stick? it's bloody ridiculous if it's true!

It's far less than we spend keeping the ****ing idle in booze and fags.
Age of Austerity eh.
After spending 0.01% of the budget on a funeral we will surely be bankrupted.

She believed privatisation and a small state. Surely its only fitting that her funeral be financed without using public money, its what she advocated in life?
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm pretty sure that ammount, probably more will be taken from the family in inheritance tax anyway.

Haha, although I'm not a fan of Mrs Thatcher, I do like your avatar! Iron Lady to the rescue! :lol:
She left her estate in an overseas company so the state wont get any inheritance taxes. Shes getting alot more off the state whose the scrounger now?!
Original post by Observatory
After spending 0.01% of the budget on a funeral we will surely be bankrupted.

Rather, it's more like one's account balancing being -£10,000 (in overdraft) and spending an additional £100 (thereby making that account balance -£10,100).
Reply 12
[video="youtube;Qh2sWSVRrmo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]
I thought Thatcher herself said that she didn't want a state funeral? Why is she getting one when people were adamant on the day she died that she wasn't getting one?

It's really offensive to everyone struggling and getting their pay frozen and benefits cut.

She deserves a decent funeral, but it doesn't need to cost £10m.
The irony is, the people who are complaining about public money being spent on her funeral are the people who will be in the capital causing trouble, and further increasing the cost of policing :curious:
It's not even so much about the money - it's downright offensive, and worse, propagandist. It just seems like they've calculated the whole thing to be as cartoonishly evil as possible.

I just read that slimy bastard Francis Maude is behind the politicisation of it, including the name "True Blue". Makes sense.

And I'm actually a fan of Thatcher.
Total joke. As said, offensive to public sector workers who are suffering a pay freeze and those who are having benefits cut whilst having profiteering ***** live off them.
Original post by scrotgrot
It's not even so much about the money - it's downright offensive, and worse, propagandist. It just seems like they've calculated the whole thing to be as cartoonishly evil as possible.

I just read that slimy bastard Francis Maude is behind the politicisation of it, including the name "True Blue". Makes sense.

And I'm actually a fan of Thatcher.

A senior Labour MP accused Downing Street of politicising the funeral of Lady Thatcher by naming it "Operation True Blue" only to be informed that the codename had in fact been created under the last government.
Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham, questioned whether the tag was "appropriate for a state occasion".
On Twitter, he said: "This is a difficult moment for many, particularly in the North, and the 'grown-up' thing to do is avoid any hint of politicisation."
However, Downing Street hit back, saying that the codename had been used in Whitehall since the funeral plans were first drafted under Labour.
A spokeswoman for David Cameron said that the codename had been in use since Tony Blair was in power. And the so-called "True Blue Committee" had been having meetings since at least 2006.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/10/thatcher-funeral-true-blue-labour
Original post by rcummins1
The irony is, the people who are complaining about public money being spent on her funeral are the people who will be in the capital causing trouble, and further increasing the cost of policing :curious:

I think you have missed out the word "some"

I certainly object to the cost but I will not be in the capital nor causing trouble

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending