The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Actually I should mention that people at Magdalen do in fact look down on everyone else, including everyone else at Oxford. That's just life, I'm afraid.

I've never found this to be the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I've never found this to be the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good, because I was joking. :smile:
Original post by doomhalo
I have no idea, but the PhD students on my course who were Undergraduates at Oxbridge that I've met have been useless.

Based on what exactly? It strikes me that the supervisors and academic staff probably have a better judgement of PhD student quality, and if Oxbridge really were producing ‘useless’ graduates unsuitable for PhD study they would have changed their undergraduate course.
Let's face it, the reality is that everyone who did not attend oxbridge is ill educated plebeian scum. Is that what the OP/people bitter at oxbridge people hope they will say?

Step into he real world. It isn't an attitude I've encountered - there's more people with chips on their shoulders about their rejections from those universities than there are people there who think they are better than said rejects.
Original post by Azarimanka
Let's face it, the reality is that everyone who did not attend oxbridge is ill educated plebeian scum. Is that what the OP/people bitter at oxbridge people hope they will say?

Step into he real world. It isn't an attitude I've encountered - there's more people with chips on their shoulders about their rejections from those universities than there are people there who think they are better than said rejects.

Agree.

Some people are just judgemental and spiteful over their failure to achieve what they believed to be the pinnacle of life, and the didn't manage to do for themselvse so are somewhat lost, hah.

My youngest brother is a Cambridge candidate and he won't care at all if he gets in or not. His school put him forward for it.

I'd say the judgemental people are the ones who go for it even against the polite 'don't bother' recommendations from others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
This discussion seems quite an opinionated one but I've been thinking about it quite abit. I've just insured my cambridge offer in favor of UCL so I'm actually hoping there aren't people 'looking down' on the supposedly 'lower unis' :tongue:
Reply 106
Funny how more state school students went to oxbridge in the 60's/70s.

got any stats to back that up?
Original post by wibletg

i can't remember wher but i think i've read this too. I'm thinking it was a newspaper article :holmes:
Reply 108
Original post by tooambitious
Definitely. I judge all of you dimwits. :facepalm2:

You're not there yet :wink:
Original post by wibletg

It's a bit complicated interpreting the data in historical records, because the basis on which schools were defined as Maintained or not has changed over time somewhat (the picture for international students in particular is complicated), but roughly the figures show that the years since 2000 have all been higher for state school entry than any of the previous periods. There was a summary provided for a PQ in Hansard.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldhansrd/vo030605/text/30605w03.htm#30605w03_sbhd2
Original post by Arva
You're not there yet :wink:

As I said to fullofsurprises, the elitism starts early good sir :hat2:

It is important that one understand the institution that they are entering and acts accordingly...

:teehee:
It is important that one understand the institution that they are entering and acts accordingly...

:teehee:

In that case, you should immediately start to develop a harassed, overworked demeanour and practice a tendency to be late to tutorials.
In that case, you should immediately start to develop a harassed, overworked demeanour and practice a tendency to be late to tutorials.

already working on it :wink:
Reply 113
It's a bit complicated interpreting the data in historical records, because the basis on which schools were defined as Maintained or not has changed over time somewhat (the picture for international students in particular is complicated), but roughly the figures show that the years since 2000 have all been higher for state school entry than any of the previous periods. There was a summary provided for a PQ in Hansard.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldhansrd/vo030605/text/30605w03.htm#30605w03_sbhd2

i can't remember wher but i think i've read this too. I'm thinking it was a newspaper article :holmes:

It's oxford that's falling behind then - Cambridge has 63% of its students coming from state schools for admission in 2012 which is one of the highest percentages in recorded history :tongue:
Original post by wibletg

This is the best information there is but it is not perfect.

If you follow my postings on this thread you will see some detailed criticism of the figures

One problem is how to deal with direct grant schools. These have been excluded from the definition of state school in the Commons library report but there is a very good report from the Sutton Trust here which tends to show that most of these schools were much more "state" than "private" before 1976.

The minimum requirement of 25% free places has obscured the fact that in total 61% of places at these schools were free and that in addition there were 56 independent schools with more than 25% free local authority places of which 7 had 100% free places. An independent school where every kid is being paid for by the ratepayers is in my view indistinguishable from a state school!
Funny one really-I go to St Andrews which considers itself the 'Oxbridge of Scotland', and for most Scots, that holds true to the point where getting into St A's is seen as the pinnacle, whereas getting into Oxford or Cambridge doesn't rank so highly.

The opposite holds in England where few people at my school had even heard of St A's let alone wanted to go there more than Oxbridge.
Original post by wibletg
It's oxford that's falling behind then - Cambridge has 63% of its students coming from state schools for admission in 2012 which is one of the highest percentages in recorded history :tongue:

Of course the reality is that we shouldn't be focusing on where people come from: rather the universities should accept the best students that present themselves for interview. In part it is up for state schools to up their game, and actually encourage applications.
Original post by Midlander
Funny one really-I go to St Andrews which considers itself the 'Oxbridge of Scotland', and for most Scots, that holds true to the point where getting into St A's is seen as the pinnacle, whereas getting into Oxford or Cambridge doesn't rank so highly.

The opposite holds in England where few people at my school had even heard of St A's let alone wanted to go there more than Oxbridge.

Edinburgh? or am i completely misinformed?
Reply 118
Of course the reality is that we shouldn't be focusing on where people come from: rather the universities should accept the best students that present themselves for interview. In part it is up for state schools to up their game, and actually encourage applications.

That too.

It's sad that Oxbridge have to do so much to try and encourage access (I was on an access visit to my home region in the North - lots of misconceptions by state school teachers on the admissions process)
Edinburgh? or am i completely misinformed?

You are right. The other poster overlooks the central position of the doctor and the lawyer in Scottish society and for most of the last 50 years St Andrews has trained neither.

Latest

Trending

Trending