The Student Room Group

Super curricular

I am a year 12 student who plans on applying for Oxbridge. I study maths, further maths, economics and computer science

I am currently in a robotics competition where we’ve been working on both hardware and software on a robot which will be entered into a competition in July.

I was wondering if talking about this in my personal statement would count as a super curricular activity?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by skvsyu
I am a year 12 student who plans on applying for Oxbridge. I study maths, further maths, economics and computer science

I am currently in a robotics competition where we’ve been working on both hardware and software on a robot which will be entered into a competition in July.

I was wondering if talking about this in my personal statement would count as a super curricular activity?

Thanks

Can I ask what subject you're planning on applying to? I'll cover some general ideas here :smile:
Definitely sounds like a good super-curricular, but I'd say you'd have to be careful with how you link it in to your PS.
For example, if you're doing a Maths/Economics personal statement, just speaking about the robot, coding, etc., will be a bit of a waste of space. On the other hand, speaking about your programming on a Computer Science PS will be a lot more related and therefore will be looked upon more favourably as your interest out of school. Definitely make sure to say about some new skills you learnt though, as that's a doubly nice thing to show.

On the other hand, you could still tie it in anyway to a different PS. For example (for Maths), you could say that you took part in the competition and learnt some/used some Maths skills during coding or creating your robot (obviously this is all speculation on what you did). But I hope you get the point? Overall, the main thing is making sure you're linking it to your subject, and showing your passion in the process.

Hopefully this helps! Best of luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending