The Student Room Group

How much does UMS matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Hotpie
:O You are my ideal test subject! :tongue:. If you don't mind me asking, did you have any extenuating circumstances which accounted for your (please don't take any offence) lower than average UMS? Or extraordinary GCSEs, although I understand cambridge care less about these? Or do you just generally have a god-like personality? :biggrin: Feel free to completely ignore these questions if you want, I understand its none if my business really, but the Cambridge natural s science course looks perfect for me and I desperately want a place, but it seems less and less likely by the day!

No extenuating circumstances....kind of average state school... My GCSEs were good (9A* and an A), but not exactly stellar. My AS things were a bit variable, mainly due to ineffective revision- the main thing that dragged it down was one chemistry exam, though. Not sure about god-like personality, although one can hope! I did do some work experience at Newcastle University last summer, which may have helped...also the teacher who wrote my reference was also my biology teacher, and put in some stuff about how I ask lots of questions he can't answer. The first two interviews were mixed, and then I got pooled (from Clare) and had to go to Magdalene for a second interview which I felt went quite badly, although I could at least make an attempt at all the questions, which I heard is a good thing. There was also a short test- SOme maths questions (could do most of them, except one which required standard results I hadn't done yet) and an essay question...I basically spent half an hour explaining how you couldn't really answer it without stricter definitions... So in conclusion, no idea how I got in. I can only assume that they saw something I missed at the interview...

Anyway, if you think you'd enjoy the course, go for it, and if you have any other questions, feel free to post here or message me!
Original post by bellatrixb
Magdalene :smile:

Sweet, good luck with your exams :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
Sweet, good luck with your exams :smile:

YOu too! Hopefully, I'll see around sometimes next year
Original post by bellatrixb
YOu too! Hopefully, I'll see around sometimes next year

Hopefully!.. If I make it that far :tongue:
Will one sub 80% unit in a 4th subject have an adverse effect on a Cambridge application provided I get an A overall in that subject? I'm applying for CompSci most likely but my Chem EMPA (20% of AS Chem) went horribly, probably B territory at best - I got 100UMS in CHEM1 and will be doing everything I can to get 140 on CHEM2, but will it just be Maths/F. Maths/Physics they look at anyway?
Hopefully!.. If I make it that far :tongue:

Same!
Original post by TheAngusBurger
Will one sub 80% unit in a 4th subject have an adverse effect on a Cambridge application provided I get an A overall in that subject? I'm applying for CompSci most likely but my Chem EMPA (20% of AS Chem) went horribly, probably B territory at best - I got 100UMS in CHEM1 and will be doing everything I can to get 140 on CHEM2, but will it just be Maths/F. Maths/Physics they look at anyway?

I assume that 20% unit is the practical one? If so they don't look at those too much anyway. To be honest, getting a B in a 4th subject isn't the end of the world, let alone in one unit!
I assume that 20% unit is the practical one? If so they don't look at those too much anyway. To be honest, getting a B in a 4th subject isn't the end of the world, let alone in one unit!

Yeah it was the practical unit, experiment was fine but I made some pretty basic mistakes on the paper that goes with it unfortunately! That's reassuring anyway, cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending