Original post by Leechayy
IFS: A*
English: A*
Core Science: B
Additional Science: A/A*
Maths: A*
Geography: B

About 6. And 3 BTEC's:

BTEC ICT: Distinction* (Equivalent to 2 GCSE's)
BTEC Business: Pass (Equivalent to 1 GCSE)

I need to know some extra-curricular (specifically leadership stuff) if I want to do CompSci at Cambridge don't I dunno what:s-smilie:

Plus, being from the 56th worst school in the UK doesn't help either
[*derp* I researched it :colondollar:]

Wow that's only 9 GCSEs and equivalents.. - Wouldn't Cambridge be able to understand if you mention extenuating circumstances or whatever the word is? If you couldn't possibly get 8A*s then they wouldn't be able to enforce that.

My sisters went to the 43rd worst school in the country and they did okay - but they are doing really good now they are in college - they are both getting into good unis for their fields of interest which is great.

I would like to get into Oxford but I have my doubts :sigh:
IFS: A*
English: A*
Core Science: B
Additional Science: A/A*
Maths: A*
Geography: B

About 6. And 3 BTEC's:

BTEC ICT: Distinction* (Equivalent to 2 GCSE's)
BTEC Business: Pass (Equivalent to 1 GCSE)

I need to know some extra-curricular (specifically leadership stuff) if I want to do CompSci at Cambridge don't I dunno what:s-smilie:

Plus, being from the 56th worst school in the UK doesn't help either
[*derp* I researched it :colondollar:]

Universities take all these circumstances into account. They can hardly blame you for the fact that your school offers so little options, right? Looking at your grades, if your school is really as bad as you say, you're probably doing insanely well relative to others in your school, which should put you in good stead.

Cambridge look more at AS UMS percentages than GCSEs anyway.

You don't really need leadership extra-curricular stuff... this isn't America, universities are more interested in your academic potential as well as your passion for your chosen subject. Worthwhile ECs that would actually boost your application should be CompSci related - maybe interning or something, I'm not too sure about what can be done for Computer Science, you might want to research that.

I only did 9 GCSE equivalents myself, and I'm apply to Cambridge for 2014 entry (for maths).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bluffroom
Wow that's only 9 GCSEs and equivalents.. - Wouldn't Cambridge be able to understand if you mention extenuating circumstances or whatever the word is? If you couldn't possibly get 8A*s then they wouldn't be able to enforce that.

My sisters went to the 43rd worst school in the country and they did okay - but they are doing really good now they are in college - they are both getting into good unis for their fields of interest which is great.

I would like to get into Oxford but I have my doubts :sigh:

:sigh: Hopefully, extenuating circumstances will act as a stepping-stone or I'm done:s-smilie:.

That's also why I'm thinking of Cambridge. They care more about your AS UMS and I'm going to try at A-Level harder than streamers do on CoD:biggrin:.

As for you, what're you're GCSE's?
Original post by justinawe
Universities take all these circumstances into account. They can hardly blame you for the fact that your school offers so little options, right? Looking at your grades, if your school is really as bad as you say, you're probably doing insanely well relative to others in your school, which should put you in good stead.

Cambridge look more at AS UMS percentages than GCSEs anyway.

You don't really need leadership extra-curricular stuff... this isn't America, universities are more interested in your academic potential as well as your passion for your chosen subject. Worthwhile ECs that would actually boost your application should be CompSci related - maybe interning or something, I'm not too sure about what can be done for Computer Science, you might want to research that.

I only did 9 GCSE equivalents myself, and I'm apply to Cambridge for 2014 entry (for maths).

Really? I've always been told extra-curriculars, a balance between studies and excel in other areas, etc...

As for you, I hope you get in for Maths!:biggrin:
Wow that's only 9 GCSEs and equivalents..

How many do you do? I only do 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
:sigh: Hopefully, extenuating circumstances will act as a stepping-stone or I'm done:s-smilie:.

That's also why I'm thinking of Cambridge. They care more about your AS UMS and I'm going to try at A-Level harder than streamers do on CoD:biggrin:.

As for you, what're you're GCSE's?

Maths A*
French A
Spanish A* - but I ****ed up my writings as I am the biggest idiot in the world - but my speakings are fine and exams should be fine.
History A* - Top in my year atm :awesome:
IT A but I really should get an A* but I am lazy. I got top in the year on our coursework I found out today - 79/80 :biggrin:
English Lang - A - got 103/125 on my coursework so if I get over an A* by a couple marks in the exam I have an A*
Biology A
Physics A - but with my resits I could get an A*
Chem A - finished
English Lit - A
RS Short Course - A*
Geography - A but if I get 94/100 I get an A*

So 4 A* and the rest As. -.-
Really? I've always been told extra-curriculars, a balance between studies and excel in other areas, etc...

As for you, I hope you get in for Maths!:biggrin:

Extra-curriculars are just another way of showing your passion for a subject. If you really think about, what on earth does your typical "leadership" EC role have to do with Computer Science?

The key is demonstration your passion for your chosen subject, and there are many ways to do this. A common practice for maths applicants, for example, is to briefly discuss books on mathematical topics they've read in their PS. During your interview, they may ask you a bit more about the books you mentioned to get an idea of what useful knowledge you gained from those books. The fact that you read material outside of the syllabus shows a passion for the subject.

Try to get something more related to CompSci is what I'm trying to say, your standard "president of blah-and-blah society" isn't really going to help. Unless, of course, it was a Computer Science Society or something like that... but again, that is just an example of something you can do.

Thanks, I certainly hope so too! :biggrin:
Maths A*
French A
Spanish A* - but I ****ed up my writings as I am the biggest idiot in the world - but my speakings are fine and exams should be fine.
History A* - Top in my year atm :awesome:
IT A but I really should get an A* but I am lazy. I got top in the year on our coursework I found out today - 79/80 :biggrin:
English Lang - A - got 103/125 on my coursework so if I get over an A* by a couple marks in the exam I have an A*
Biology A
Physics A - but with my resits I could get an A*
Chem A - finished
English Lit - A
RS Short Course - A*
Geography - A but if I get 94/100 I get an A*

So 4 A* and the rest As. -.-

The rest?! That's 12 A*/A's! That's well good. My school doesn't have IT at GCSE, English Lit, RS Short, Triple Sciences + they only started languages last year so it was too late:rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Extra-curriculars are just another way of showing your passion for a subject. If you really think about, what on earth does your typical "leadership" EC role have to do with Computer Science?

The key is demonstration your passion for your chosen subject, and there are many ways to do this. A common practice for maths applicants, for example, is to briefly discuss books on mathematical topics they've read in their PS. During your interview, they may ask you a bit more about the books you mentioned to get an idea of what useful knowledge you gained from those books. The fact that you read material outside of the syllabus shows a passion for the subject.

Try to get something more related to CompSci is what I'm trying to say, your standard "president of blah-and-blah society" isn't really going to help. Unless, of course, it was a Computer Science Society or something like that... but again, that is just an example of something you can do.

Thanks, I certainly hope so too! :biggrin:

Oh okay, cool! I'll remember that:cool:
The rest?! That's 12 A*/A's! That's well good. My school doesn't have IT at GCSE, English Lit, RS Short, Triple Sciences + they only started languages last year so it was too late:rolleyes:

Still - it's not 8 A*s which is the general requirement people talk about - I might get 4 - probably 3 at best. I don't even think I'll get 2 tbh.
Still - it's not 8 A*s which is the general requirement people talk about - I might get 4 - probably 3 at best. I don't even think I'll get 2 tbh.

There is no such general 8 A* requirement for Oxbridge... looks more like an arbitrary figure someone conjured up to me. What subject are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 8551
french exam in 6 days thrillssssssssssssss
There is no such general 8 A* requirement for Oxbridge... looks more like an arbitrary figure someone conjured up to me. What subject are you thinking of applying for?

Well a lot of teachers and the likes band around Oxbridge having a soft-requirement - as if you get As at AS you will have a 100% chance of being pooled or something like that - don't quote me as that's what I've been told. I know it's not an actual requirement but the pooling thing.

I want to do Languages. Not 100% on which yet but I am studying Spanish and French at A level with Latin at GCSE plus History and Maths.
Well a lot of teachers and the likes band around Oxbridge having a soft-requirement - as if you get As at AS you will have a 100% chance of being pooled or something like that - don't quote me as that's what I've been told. I know it's not an actual requirement but the pooling thing.

I want to do Languages. Not 100% on which yet but I am studying Spanish and French at A level with Latin at GCSE plus History and Maths.

93% is automatic pooling in all subjects bar maths and medicine :smile:
Best. Maths. Class. And. Teacher. Ever.
I'm so upset he's leaving :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by Bude8

He looks cool
Original post by L'Evil Fish
He looks cool

There's a Catwoman poster, as well as a Batman action figure. Of course he does!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
93% is automatic pooling in all subjects bar maths and medicine :smile:

They'd probably dunk me in the pool :sad:
Original post by Bude8

POSH BOYS POSH BOYS ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mmm:
Original post by Bude8
There's a Catwoman poster, as well as a Batman action figure. Of course he does!

Is anyone in your class gay?
They'd probably dunk me in the pool :sad:

POSH BOYS POSH BOYS ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mmm:

Pooling is good if you don't get a place at your college :tongue:

8 A*'s definitely isn't anywhere near a requirement for languages. Just try to get as many A*'s as you can, but if you don't get that many, it doesn't necessarily mean that all hope is lost.

Latest