The Student Room Group

Uni in the Netherlands

I'm in year 12 and I started looking at uni's some time ago, I went to a UCAS fair in February but the prices in the UK are amazingly high and I found out on average that people pay back over £84,000. So I went to another university fair for uni's abroad and then went home and did some research. I have found a uni called "TU Delft" that does only one course in English and that's the one I want to do.
I was just wondering if anyone had been to the Netherlands and knew if it would be an easy transition. I've not really been that independent in my life but I thought that at uni you stay away anyway so it wouldn't be that much different and it only costs like £2000 a year. It also takes a lot of pressure of because they don't care about A* and A's they just want any A-Level grade.
Would it be simple enough and would it be worth it for the experiance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yh saw this as well but I joind a fb group and a lad there (who got 5 As) said don't underestimate the course you will have 34 exams in the first year and have to 45/60 creidts with a 65% to pass . Only 40% make it to second yr
Reply 2
Oh ok, thank you for telling me that. If you work hard you can get through to the second year though? What happens if you don't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I haven't been to any of the dutch unis, but thats going to change next sept :smile:
Dutch unis are excellent for anyone trying to save costs while at the same time get a very high standard/quality of education.
Additionally dutch universities are also easier to apply to, because they are more concerned about enabling the right people to enter the right career fields. The only real problem is unlike british universities, the course work in dutch universities are relatively much higher and depending on the field of study can be competitively harder to remain in the program.

Also additionally dutch universities are very easy to transition into, and I have aided nuffic neso officers during their university fairs to have interacted with past students. Additionally the international community over there is very vibrant. However I am not going to paint a disney or wonderland image, and I am sure that each community would have their own qualms.

But for me personally, I found the perfect program for me in economics in the netherlands and I am happy to say I'm definitely not going to miss the opportunity to complete my undergrad there.

Note: for kgriffin13, if you don't pass a course or two during the first year I believe that you will have the chance to retake it before the start of the second year. However if that is not cleared you will be dropped out of the program. Although I would preferably like anyone with a bit more concrete info on this (So yes to all you current dutch uni students, do spare some time to confirm or contradict this.)
Reply 4
Thankyou very much 3LZ3r0, so what uni are you thinking of going to over there? And are you going to see it at an open day first?
I am going to see TU Delft this Friday, I was surprised to get a structured program for the day ( a lot more organised than any UK university that I have seen) everyone I've spoken to who has been to the Netherlands for the eurasmus program really enjoyed it, but of course that's only one year not the whole course.
I'm worried about finding student accommodation because in the UK you get to stay in the uni accommodation for the first year and make friends to share with in the following years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey Kgriffin13, well ive applied to maastricht uni for the econometrics program there and hopefully will be going ahead with that. And i do share the same sentiment with how structured the programs are.

Although there may not be uni housing, i do believe that the dutch unis do have a housing service office to help students find housing. But your lucky enough to be in the EU to visit while im all the way over in asia in this hot weather. But well enough, i do believe this will be very exciting :smile:
Reply 6
I'm actually Dutch and I've applied to English universities. My house is like a 40 min bike ride removed from TU Delft. I've followed courses there and I'm actually going to their open day this friday, for the third time (because I don't have to go to school then :P). If I don't get into my English uni's (which is a very realistic option since I only applied to top universities) I'll probably go to TU Delft for a double bachelor in Engineering Physics & Engineering Mathematics.

Their campus is pretty nice, nothing out of this world/Oxbridge like, but very clean and nice. There are a lot of people, nice people, some very beautiful women too (even though that's probably not that important to you..). In the Netherlands, most people speak decent English, so don't worry about it, and surely everybody's English will improve if they take a course in English.

There are a lot of international students, I've seen a good amount of Asian (mainly Indian/East-Asian) people, and when I took a tour of their nuclear power plant I actually heard a lot of students speak English with an American accent.

Finally, if you go, get a bike. Everyone has a bike in the Netherlands. You have to get one. Also, 3LZ3r0 is right regarding the application process. From what I know, it is way easier than UCAS. Seriously, UCAS is a steaming pile of poo. Way too complicated. Don't worry about references and that stuff in the Netherlands. If you have decent grades, you will get in. In the Netherlands, we actually have something called 'cum laude' for high schools. If your average grade for every class is >8,0/10, every course in the country, including medicine, must admit you. I believe that this mostly applies for medicine though. Other studies, such as aerospace engineering at Delft, do have a quota, but they never reach it. Still, get good grades and you're in everywhere.
Just study hard and pass A level well and trust me the rest shall follow. I have given everything up for A level and still willing to give up more in order to pass . And what about TU Eindhoven for Automotive/Computer Science
Reply 8
Thank you all for your help. ZafarS, I was under the impression that I did have to get a reference from a teacher? I'm not sure I'm just going by what I think I have read on there website. But it's good to know that they have to accept you if you do well enough. :wink: I am trying to work so hard on my A levels this year so hopefully it will go well!
Does anyone know if any of the laws are different in the Netherlands compared with the UK? Thanks all for your help again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
The references requirement is program/university specific only.

And to what laws are you referring to?
Reply 10
Oh ok thanks. And I was just wondering in general, whilst there on Friday I found out that by law you have to pay €79 for health insurance otherwise you get over €300 fine. Didn't know if there was anything else, (even as little as the equivalent of zebra crossings, and which ones cars are ment to stop at ect.) also when I was there i saw that cars give way the the cyclists on the cycle paths that cross the roads, I this the norm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
With regards to the cycling laws, yes its true, in their lanes they have their way of right. Although its comical to see scooties use it too.

With regards to insurance, i have heard that its possible to also have insurance from your home country that covers you too. Although i havent looked into the insurance deets as much.
Reply 12
Oh ok thanks again. Do you know of any ways to help fund your studying apart from working for a lot of hours (my university recommend not to work) like you can get a loan in the uk for living and books. I know you can get a loan for the course fees but is there any help for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Actually to be honest im trying to do a cost and revenue analysis for uni. At the moment i havent come across any loan/grant specifically for accomodation.

But take a look here if anything leads you to what you need:
www.studyinholland.co.uk/loans_and_grants.html

But when i do find something in a while ill reply back in detail.

Lolz its still sooooo early trying to tie all the costs to a revenue source.
Reply 14
Original post by Kgriffin13
I'm in year 12 and I started looking at uni's some time ago, I went to a UCAS fair in February but the prices in the UK are amazingly high and I found out on average that people pay back over £84,000.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What was that figure based on? Even with tuition fees of £9k per year, for a three year course that leaves £57,000.00 which breaks down to £19k per year - significantly more than the amount you'd earn working full time for minimum wage. There is no way in hell you'd manage to get loans totalling that amount! I get the maximum loan I'm entitled to with my parents' incomes being over the maximum for receiving extra support, and that's £4,500.00 this year.

It may well be that the amount you quoted was accurate for something else, but I really can't see how an undergraduate degree lasting three or four years would cost you that much. Remember you can always try to work during the summers to save a good chunk of money and look for a weekend job during term time.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're really interested in studying in the Netherlands and it is a great experience. I know a lot of people who did Erasmus there and absolutely love it. Good luck!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/studentfinance/article-2188668/Student-debts-escalate-average-cost-years-university-soars-53-000.html
Reply 15
I think the 84k GBP was related to future value of the debt when its finally paid off. So your assumption of 54k GBP is correct...however people who cant pay off the debt in a year or two after working tend to take longer to do so and eventually end up paying closer to the upper 70-80k GBP range.

Then again this opinion is open for reality check lolz.
Reply 16
I looked at this website:
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/scheme/dgv/pws/repayment-calculator.html

This estimates around £125,000 repayment as you have your living loan added to it and interest, and most people wont pay it all off over the 30 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Depending on what you want to study, I think Utrecht University has a European Relations or something of that sort in English. Also the University Colleges such as Utrecht, Maastricht, Amsterdam, etc. can be expensive but they give a LOT of aid so they are definitely worth applying to.

I visited Utrecht's university college yesterday and it was awesome. Maastricht today. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 18
Hi,

I really would like to apply to the University of Groningen (medicine an/or psychology, but Im probably gonna try both and see what happens :-D). However, Im a little bit confused by the admission process and hope that you guys can help me to make some things clear :smile:

The thing is that both psychology and medicine students are admitted through the decentralizes selection procedure, which as far as I undrestood, (also) means taking some kind of entrance exams in May/June. However, some people (in another thread) wrote that they got they offers even BEFORE this date. Does that mean that there is a possibility of not having to take the entrance exam at all?? Maybe you can get in without taking them when you have good grades, as Zafar wrote...? If so, does it only refer to your final grades in senior year at higschool, or...?

If I have to take the exam eventually, what it is like? Are there maybe some materials you can study from in advance?

Thanks a lot!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I've applied to the Maastricht for september 2014, and I'll be doing European Law. I'm a British student but am in school in france France, doing the IB diploma. I've filled in a questionnaire where they asked me a series of questions about myself and some essay questions. My grades are good, but not excellent (say about 30 - 34 average w/o extended essay + tok points) and I'm getting very worried about being accepted or not. Will it be a problem or is it really true that getting in isn't a problem, and staying in university is the true issue.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending