The Student Room Group

Which A levels are Harder?

Is Maths with Further Maths harder than doing 2 sciences at A level?
Also which of the two options are most respected by universities generally?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dd1234

To answer your first question, I do 3 sciences and both maths/fm and I would say the sciences are much harder than both maths alevels. For your second question, it depends where you are applying and what you are applying for.
Reply 2
I say it depends on the person taking the A-levels.
Everyone is of different capabilities and different strengths; a subject I find easy, others may find difficult and vice versa. (:
Reply 3
Original post by dd1234

I would say the two sciences are harder. However I would also say they are generally most respected- some universities "won't count" further maths and maths as separate as they only really show one skill.

Edit: Why the negs when its the truth? Obviously it depends what course but I'm just warning the OP...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies :smile: Okay, so the difficulty depends on the person in question- but how about the respectability? Which is better for Russel Group universities?
Reply 5
Just look at the pupils in your school who do maths and further maths. 95% of them will comprise the top 90% of the best students. Say no more.
Reply 6
Original post by dd1234
Thanks for your replies :smile: Okay, so the difficulty depends on the person in question- but how about the respectability? Which is better for Russel Group universities?

Again, what course do you plan on applying for? :smile:
I think doing both maths would be easier than two science :h: the only reason being is because if you do two different sciences, you are learning two completely different things. Although content is different in maths and further, you are still doing MATHS - so effectively, you are strengthening yourself solely on one topical area :smile:

anyone else think so?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dd1234

I would say that it depends for both questions. Chemistry and physics is harder than doing chemistry and biology. I think maths and further maths is not as hard as chemistry and physics. That said, I think maths is a bigger jump from GSCE to A level than the sciences.

For the second question it really depends what you want todo at uni. If you want to do maths then it’s essential to do maths and furthermaths.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by dd1234

That's really subjective because those who do FM tend to really enjoy Maths anyway & are more than capable hence it may be easier for them because they will find it easier to work hard & put effort into it due to them enjoying it. Basically what I'm getting at is that if you enjoy a subject you're more likely to be better at it as studying for it won't be as difficult than for a subject which you don't enjoy as much. It all comes down to the individual's preferences & abilities. So really nobody will be able to answer that for you, because it depends on you!:smile:

In regards to unis, well it depends on the course as those which are heavily maths based are likely to state it as part of the entry requirements so you should have a look at some but even then not all unis require it h/w it could give you an advantage. But in general, unless it's a maths degree/something closely related it won't matter as grades are more important. Also bear in mind that unless you're very certain on pursuing something heavily maths based at uni, you could be limiting yourself. :smile:
I think that doing the sciences will probably be harder. With maths, I don't think it gets that difficult at AS, you just do more modules, so if you're good at maths you'll be fine :smile:

Obviously, with unis it depends on what subject you want do, if you want to do something heavily maths realted, maths & fm would be good!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I am not even over-exaggerating when I say this but besides the typical subjects of Maths and Science, I think A-level Media Studies (preferably one generated from WJEC) is the one of the hardest A-levels by far.

I think Media Studies doesn't play with your mind as heavily as figuring out equations in Science and Maths but definitely, Media Studies does test you on your ability of structuring precise essays with examples and spitting out fast responses in an exam from ANY media text from a WIDE range of theories, audience categories and so on in reference to mediums such as TV shows, films and video games etc...

Don't get me started on A2 Media Studies specifically! I think only the people who have taken Media Studies and is currently undertaking the A2 course will understand me! I hope...
Original post by Daniel George
I think doing both maths would be easier than two science :h: the only reason being is because if you do two different sciences, you are learning two completely different things. Although content is different in maths and further, you are still doing MATHS - so effectively, you are strengthening yourself solely on one topical area :smile:

anyone else think so?
yeah I agree :smile:
Original post by HannaBelle
I am not even over-exaggerating when I say this but besides the typical subjects of Maths and Science, I think A-level Media Studies (preferably one generated from WJEC) is the one of the hardest A-levels by far.

I think Media Studies doesn't play with your mind as heavily as figuring out equations in Science and Maths but definitely, Media Studies does test you on your ability of structuring precise essays with examples and spitting out fast responses in an exam from ANY media text from a WIDE range of theories, audience categories and so on in reference to mediums such as TV shows, films and video games etc...

Don't get me started on A2 Media Studies specifically! I think only the people who have taken Media Studies and is currently undertaking the A2 course will understand me! I hope...

What other A levels do you do? Just interested to see what you are comparing it with :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by smileyelzz
I think that doing the sciences will probably be harder. With maths, I don't think it gets that difficult at AS, you just do more modules, so if you're good at maths you'll be fine :smile:

Obviously, with unis it depends on what subject you want do, if you want to do something heavily maths related, maths & fm would be good!

Thanks for the reply :smile: I am slightly surprised at this as many people pull a shocked face when they hear about Further Maths- so would you say that the content in maths is less complicated than that of science?
Reply 15
Original post by dd1234
Thanks for the reply :smile: I am slightly surprised at this as many people pull a shocked face when they hear about Further Maths- so would you say that the content in maths is less complicated than that of science?

Science is a lot more content-based than maths so you have to memorise lots of details while maths is a lot more technique and then applying that technique.
Original post by dd1234

Yeah I know haha, I do Further Maths & when I tell people they think I'm some kind of genius LOL but it's really not that bad (at least at AS). I can't really speak for the sciences as I don't do any, but I have friends who do and apparently there is ALOT of content to remember.

Original post by AmirHabeeb
Science is a lot more content-based than maths so you have to memorise lots of details while maths is a lot more technique and then applying that technique.

Pretty much what this guy said!
Original post by HannaBelle

I found A2 media fairly easy (finished it 2 weeks ago). It's a lot of essays and analysis and planning etc, but it's all easy imo, just very time consuming.

Maybe that's because I do maths and physics too, so by comparison it's easy (to me at least).

I did AS ICT and that was a joke... super easy.

Someone said about maths being harder than sciences. I can only comment on Physics but I find Physics is way harder than maths at AS and A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by polka dots :)
What other A levels do you do? Just interested to see what you are comparing it with :smile:

Well I'm currently studying A2 Sociology and I've completed my AS Religious Studies course on Monday after it's exam. :K:
Reply 19
Original post by MyNameIsRay
I found A2 media fairly easy (finished it 2 weeks ago). It's a lot of essays and analysis and planning etc, but it's all easy imo, just very time consuming.

Maybe that's because I do maths and physics too, so by comparison it's easy (to me at least).

I did AS ICT and that was a joke... super easy.

Someone said about maths being harder than sciences. I can only comment on Physics but I find Physics is way harder than maths at AS and A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand why you'd think Media Studies is way easier because you deal with elements of Science and Maths and in comparison I suspect Media Studies would be the easiest subject to deal with. However, 3 weeks now until my A2 Media exam and I have to have 9 examples (3 examples each from 3 industries) literally ENGRAVED into my head with specific examples from each of the industries to clearly reference in my exam. Currently I'm struggling with the narrative of the film Memento that Guy Pearce acts in. Still hate my teacher for making us use that film in the exam. (If you haven't seen it - it's one of those mind-boggling films that are so annoying, sort of like the film Inception.)

Quick Reply

Latest