The Student Room Group

I only want to take 3 a levels, but I’m stuck between 2 for my third?!

So, basically, I know I want to do English and History. My next step after A-level is doing an English course at uni, and my dream uni would be Cambridge. My expected grades say I could do it, but I don’t know which of these two subjects to take for my third A-Level.
And, no, I’m not taking 4 bc I don’t think I’d get the Cambridge A-Level requirements for 4 A-Levels. So….
A)French or
B)Psychology
Which is harder/easier? Which is more respected? Which will make me look more acedemjcallh capable?
I love both subjects and got 9’s on GCSE for both. So….Yh, which one guyssss?! x
Original post by Tessla_xox11
So, basically, I know I want to do English and History. My next step after A-level is doing an English course at uni, and my dream uni would be Cambridge. My expected grades say I could do it, but I don’t know which of these two subjects to take for my third A-Level.
And, no, I’m not taking 4 bc I don’t think I’d get the Cambridge A-Level requirements for 4 A-Levels. So….
A)French or
B)Psychology
Which is harder/easier? Which is more respected? Which will make me look more acedemjcallh capable?
I love both subjects and got 9’s on GCSE for both. So….Yh, which one guyssss?! x

French is more respected but history and English would already be two facilitating subjects. Unless you plan on doing English AND French as a joint-honours I'd probably recommend doing psychology because French A-Level has a lot of different components which add up before you realise it. Definitely don't take 4 it's an awful idea and Oxbridge don't care anyway. At the end of the day I think both are great options (especially if you're talented in them as you seem to be from GCSE!) but from someone who takes 2 language a-levels I'd maybe recommend psych instead as even though it's a lot of content the content itself isn't actually difficult, whereas with French there's a little bit less content but that content IS difficult, and you want to make the path to your offer as easy as possible for yourself.
Reply 2
A)French or
B)Psychology

French mounts up real quick and with the History and English, Oxbridge will certainly no mind a third essay based subject such as psychology. It just depends how much you want to put additional work into it because that's not to say psychology is easy but French is REAL hard. It all depends on how up to the task you are. hope you love whatever subject you end up choosing though, all the best and well wishes!
Omg literally cause at first it seems only slightly harder than GCSE but somehow by mocks you have ten thousand things to learn and two essays to write on top of an IRP. Not sure when French got so difficult but it hasn't been easy since lol
Original post by Glumdrops
French mounts up real quick and with the History and English, Oxbridge will certainly no mind a third essay based subject such as psychology. It just depends how much you want to put additional work into it because that's not to say psychology is easy but French is REAL hard. It all depends on how up to the task you are. hope you love whatever subject you end up choosing though, all the best and well wishes!
A)French or
B)Psychology

Either is fine. Bear in mind psychology involves a good chunk of stats type work so something to consider if you aren't keen on maths (which some people arem't!).

Original post by sixthformstress
French is more respected but history and English would already be two facilitating subjects. Unless you plan on doing English AND French as a joint-honours I'd probably recommend doing psychology because French A-Level has a lot of different components which add up before you realise it. Definitely don't take 4 it's an awful idea and Oxbridge don't care anyway. At the end of the day I think both are great options (especially if you're talented in them as you seem to be from GCSE!) but from someone who takes 2 language a-levels I'd maybe recommend psych instead as even though it's a lot of content the content itself isn't actually difficult, whereas with French there's a little bit less content but that content IS difficult, and you want to make the path to your offer as easy as possible for yourself.

The concept of facilitating subjects as been retired by the RG due to misconceptions like this. They are't "hard" subjects vs other, non-facilitating subjects being "soft" subjects - they are just subjects which served as prerequisites for one or more degree programmes, and it was recommended students aim to take 2 simply so they had a good range of options for what degrees they may want to apply to.
Original post by artful_lounger
Either is fine. Bear in mind psychology involves a good chunk of stats type work so something to consider if you aren't keen on maths (which some people arem't!).

The concept of facilitating subjects as been retired by the RG due to misconceptions like this. They are't "hard" subjects vs other, non-facilitating subjects being "soft" subjects - they are just subjects which served as prerequisites for one or more degree programmes, and it was recommended students aim to take 2 simply so they had a good range of options for what degrees they may want to apply to.

I know it's been retired but to be honest most Russel group uni's still see them this way; generally students applying for them are encouraged to have 'at least one' "facilitating" subject because at the end of the day the people admitting students are familiar with those terms. Obviously they aren't necessarily 'harder' but they're definitely more respected at the top uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest