The Student Room Group

medicine

is mbbs harder than A level? If i failed A levels would i be able to handle mbbs?
I think any degree is harder than a levels and med will be significantly more challenging than the vast majority of degrees.
Harder in what way? From what I've heard from medics I've known, the content isn't enormously more conceptually difficult, there's just so much of it that you need to be very dedicated and organised to keep on top of things. As I understand it also you will be examined near constantly in a medical degree in various forms, and even after you finish the degree you will also have years of doing various postgraduate examinations and tests (MRCP, MRCS, etc, dependent on specialty) as you progress through training.

So you do need to be comfortable with the idea of taking exams and being able to do well in them. If an exam focused format of a degree is something you struggle with then it may not be the best fit for you. Of course there are other degrees which focus less on this and have more e.g. submitted assignment/essay and similar as the main form of assessment. This may be a better fit for your strengths :smile:
Reply 3
Concentrate on your A-Levels for now, if you improve in your A-levels you can consider applying for MBBS. If not then there’s not much point as you won’t have the grades to meet the offer.
Original post by bigahmton
is mbbs harder than A level? If i failed A levels would i be able to handle mbbs?

I study at UoM. It by no means is conceptually harder (at least initially) but you have to adapt to a new style of learning, and there is a bigger workload. It depends how motivated you are i suppose
Reply 5
If you fail your A-levels, you won't get into medicine, surely?
I got BBDe in my A Levels, did biomed degree and went back to medicine. I found medicine easier than A levels and biomed and I think different people reach different academic peaks and different times. I've been a doctor for 1.5 years now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending