The Student Room Group

AS and A2 chemistry practical exams 2013 CCEA

Hi,

I couldnt find anything on here about the CCEA practical papers for AS and A2. Just curious as to what people think may come up in these papers. (eg; which titration, which observations/deductions etc) I want to do really well in these.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?

It is now exactly 2 weeks until the A2 practical exam. My teacher has not given us any tips or hints on what it is likely to come up. Feeling a bit worried as I want to do really well in the practical exams, so as I can afford to drop a few marks in the written exams.

Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by posting this, I am not used to studentroom, so apologies if I am! :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, how'd you find the chemistry practical? I screwed up in the identification tests : /
Reply 3
Hey, sorry to hear that :frown: maybe you didn't do as bad as you think?

I think it went okay, but I know I've lost silly marks. I assume now that the practical and alternative practical are over we are allowed to discuss it. I went back and forth between Nickel and Chromium in my head I don't know how many times! In the end I went for Chromium, I couldn't remember the confirmatory test for it at the time, so the fact that it dissolved in NaOH meant nothing to me as I couldn't remember which was soluble and which was insoluble!

Are you doing the AS practical on Monday? I have a decent mark in it, but resitting anyway to try to pull as many marks from anywhere that I can. How are you feeling about the A2 written exams? I'm not looking forward to module four, but I hope module five will be decent.
Hi

I have the AS practical tomorrow, it is my first attempt.

In preparation I am learning the following:

-Identification of organic liquid
-Qualitative Analysis
-Preparation of halogenoalkane
-Removing water of crystallisation
-Iodoform preparation
-Enthalpy of combustion
-Enthalpy of neutralistation
-Reacting elements with water
-Reacting elements with steam
-Titrations
-Calculations

is this enough/am I missing anything? How are you preparing?
Reply 5
doing past papers to prepare, revising calculations would probs be a good idea
Original post by louise14
doing past papers to prepare, revising calculations would probs be a good idea

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Go through previous mark schemes to see exactly what CCEA want you to say for the identification tests :smile: I'm also going to go over the method of a back titration just incase.
Reply 8
Original post by ilovescience123
Hi

I have the AS practical tomorrow, it is my first attempt.

In preparation I am learning the following:

-Identification of organic liquid
-Qualitative Analysis
-Preparation of halogenoalkane
-Removing water of crystallisation
-Iodoform preparation
-Enthalpy of combustion
-Enthalpy of neutralistation
-Reacting elements with water
-Reacting elements with steam
-Titrations
-Calculations

is this enough/am I missing anything? How are you preparing?

Yeh I covered all this stuff as well, sorted I'd say.
Reply 9
How did you find the AS exam?
How did you find it? :L
What did people get for x? In the na2co3 question. It wasn't too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by UnknownError
What did people get for x? In the na2co3 question. It wasn't too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the exam was sweet overall and 7.
Original post by Chriispy
I thought the exam was sweet overall and 7.

Got the exact same woohoo!!! Some questions were slightly tricky like the last one was quite difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Did yous all get zinc sulfate and ammonium sulfate for inorganic and alcohol for organic? I wrote ester for organic but apparantly it was a long carbon chain non polar alcohol :s-smilie: Though I'll only lose one mark hopefully. I thought the compound was hydrolysed to produce an alcohol and carboxylic acid and then the alcohol was oxidised by the Potassium dichromate.
Reply 15
I got aluminium sulfate and ammonium sulfate, I said that the alcohol group was present and that there were no carbon to carbon double bonds, although my bromine water was colorless before i added it so I'm not sure on that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BLUERUN
I got aluminium sulfate and ammonium sulfate, I said that the alcohol group was present and that there were no carbon to carbon double bonds, although my bromine water was colorless before i added it so I'm not sure on that?

I got the same. Forgot the test for magnesium such a stupid mistake.
Bromine water stayed orange. I got an alcohol however it didn't mix with water? Possibly a ketone but doubt they'd make it that hard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by UnknownError
I got the same. Forgot the test for magnesium such a stupid mistake.
Bromine water stayed orange. I got an alcohol however it didn't mix with water? Possibly a ketone but doubt they'd make it that hard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked my teacher, It was zinc sulfate and ammonium sulfate and an alcohol. It was immiscible with water cause it had a large hydrocarbon chain.
Reply 18
Original post by BLUERUN

Yeah you got all that right except it was zinc sulfate, the white precipitate dissolved in excess NH3, though it was really hard to tell!
This is for the A2 module right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending