The Student Room Group

OCR AS Sources of Law 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by geurae
I'm panicking! :frown: EU law goes straight in one ear and out the other for me no matter how much I revise it and i know that's the most likely to come up. My teacher said there's a good chance there'll be a question on rules of language or statutory presumptions which will be okay..really hoping it won't be a combination of EU law and Law reform though as i know neither!

Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

what do you mean rules of language? :O
Reply 41
Original post by LosMutos
Okay so here goes, I predict that Delegated Legislation will come up.
I've beening looking at past papers and I believe that tomorrows paper will have the following layout:
(a) Act of Parliament
(b) Typical question like which is the most suitable type or body (something along those lines)
(c) i- Three types
ii- Advantages and Disadvantages
But keep in mind that this is based on my own research.
Goodluck peoples.

i hope that DL will come up, and this will be the layout, just pleaseeeee ! :frown:
Reply 42
can someone please explain the difference between consolidating and codifying law?
If EU doesn't show up I am soooooo screwed.
Reply 44
Original post by oluus
can someone please explain the difference between consolidating and codifying law?

Consolidation:
-There are lots of different bits to laws and changes are made to laws everywhere which when put together makes up one big law.
E.g. law on sentencing under 17 year olds has been changed 10 times but for a judge to understand the final point on it he has to look at the previous laws - consolidation means that all these similar laws are put together.

Codification:
-All laws on similar things are brought together into one source.
E.g. rape, murder, assault are all known as criminal law.
Original post by oluus

Codification of the law

The Commission believes that the law would be more accessible to the citizen, and easier for the courts to understand and apply, if it were presented as a series of statutory codes. As a preliminary step, to prepare the ground, we are working on a number of projects that aim to simplify aspects of the criminal law.

In a nutshell, put all of criminal law in one document.

Consolidation of Statutes

Consolidation brings together under one Act all the existing statutory provisions previously located in several different Acts. The law itself remains unchanged, but those who use it can now find it all in one place.

Different provisions from different acts are regrouped into one Act.

Taken from the Law Commission website too, so it's got to be right :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by hoping
what do you mean rules of language? :O

ejusdem generis (open list) expressio unius exclusio alterius (closed list) noscitur a sociis (same context of things)

it could come up in a part b question, but it came up in 2012 so it might not!
Reply 47
Original post by geurae
ejusdem generis (open list) expressio unius exclusio alterius (closed list) noscitur a sociis (same context of things)

it could come up in a part b question, but it came up in 2012 so it might not!

But that came up in January? Does your teacher think it will come up again? :confused::confused:
Reply 48
does anyone know what came up in Sources of law Jan 2013???
Reply 49
Original post by Maerim
But that came up in January? Does your teacher think it will come up again? :confused::confused:

i realllyy hope Stats comes up again... do u think theres any chance???
Reply 50
Original post by Maerim

Oh i don't know :confused: she said it might do but if it came up in January then I guess it probably won't. I'm not sure really :tongue:
Reply 51
Original post by A5IF
i realllyy hope Stats comes up again... do u think theres any chance???

The examiner like to use all four topics in a year, so I would say no. I hope not anyway, or if it does it hopefully comes up with Delegated. It's never come up twice, it's come up every January only.
Reply 52
Original post by A5IF

Statutory Interpretation and EU Law.

Original post by Farmerboy521
Codification of the law

The Commission believes that the law would be more accessible to the citizen, and easier for the courts to understand and apply, if it were presented as a series of statutory codes. As a preliminary step, to prepare the ground, we are working on a number of projects that aim to simplify aspects of the criminal law.

In a nutshell, put all of criminal law in one document.

Consolidation of Statutes

Consolidation brings together under one Act all the existing statutory provisions previously located in several different Acts. The law itself remains unchanged, but those who use it can now find it all in one place.

Different provisions from different acts are regrouped into one Act.

Taken from the Law Commission website too, so it's got to be right :biggrin:

Original post by LosMutos
Consolidation:
-There are lots of different bits to laws and changes are made to laws everywhere which when put together makes up one big law.
E.g. law on sentencing under 17 year olds has been changed 10 times but for a judge to understand the final point on it he has to look at the previous laws - consolidation means that all these similar laws are put together.

Codification:
-All laws on similar things are brought together into one source.
E.g. rape, murder, assault are all known as criminal law.

Thank you guys! This finally makes sense now, before I struggled to see the difference between the two
Reply 53
Original post by oluus
Statutory Interpretation and EU Law.

Wasn't it Judicial Precedent??
Reply 54
Original post by Maerim
Wasn't it Judicial Precedent??

Sorry my bad, I'm to focused on tomorrow's exam haha, yes it was Judicial Precedent :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by oluus
Sorry my bad, I'm to focused on tomorrow's exam haha, yes it was Judicial Precedent :smile:

You scared me there for a minute. :tongue: That's why I don't think Statutory Interpretation will come up in the exam tomorrow.
Reply 56
Original post by A5IF

it was stat, and judicial precedent
Reply 57
Original post by Maerim
You scared me there for a minute. :tongue: That's why I don't think Statutory Interpretation will come up in the exam tomorrow.

what do you think will come up? :smile:
Reply 58
has anyone else noticed that statutory interpretation has never came up in a june exam??. dont u find that pretty stupid considering january exams are for people who are retaking. what is the point in putting stats on the syllabus. people revise for it. hope it comes up and it dusnt. then we fail.
Reply 59
Original post by hoping
what do you think will come up? :smile:

Acts of Parliament and probably the three types of DL with advantages/disadvantages? As for question B, I have a feeling it might be on judicial review or a specific statutory instrument. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending