The Student Room Group

OCR Critical thinking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ImAz
What sorts of indicator words? Like should?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the unit 1 exam was today but assuming you're doing unit 2 Thursday I'll help out with indicator words :smile:

Main conclusion-Should, therefore, thus etc

Intermediate conclusion-So

Reason- because

Analogy-Like, both

Principle-Should, always

Example-For instance, an illustration

Not an exhaustive list but hope it gives a general idea :smile:
Reply 21
Thanks!
Had unit 1 earlier and it wasn't that bad, saying that I've probably just scraped an E ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
didn't find it too bad today!
Reply 23
Went horrendous for me I definitely failed :frown:
I though I did well in the mock and ended up getting a D hahaha who knows how I've done this time round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought this exam was hard compared to all the past papers, maybe 53 for an A
Reply 25
My timing was out :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 2 to look forward to!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
unit 2 -.- having to stay after school to sit the exam
Reply 28
Original post by tamil4
unit 2 -.- having to stay after school to sit the exam

Same! General Studies clash haha?
Original post by Onoderas
Same! General Studies clash haha?

yeah! it's a pain isn't it? haha
Reply 30
Original post by tamil4
yeah! it's a pain isn't it? haha

Yeah haha, don't really want to stay at school until around 5 for these exams! Just hope they both go well, GS on Monday had okay essays and I sat unit 1 in January for CT so luckily only got this unit :smile:. Just hope the topic is mildly interesting, we had 'should the clocks be put forward an hour' in January...
Yeah haha, don't really want to stay at school until around 5 for these exams! Just hope they both go well, GS on Monday had okay essays and I sat unit 1 in January for CT so luckily only got this unit :smile:. Just hope the topic is mildly interesting, we had 'should the clocks be put forward an hour' in January...

ours was should extreme sport be banned. i hope the topic is interesting. I have chemistry in the morning as well so a full day of exams :frown: GS wasn't too bad but ive always preferred culture to science so i dont expect tomorrows paper to be too great. i did unit 1 CT on monday, it wasn't too bad.
I'd love to do Critical Thinking for a 5th A Level it looks so cool but unfortunately the Unis just ignore it
Original post by ForgottenPen
I'd love to do Critical Thinking for a 5th A Level it looks so cool but unfortunately the Unis just ignore it

I find it a bit boring, its compulsory in my school in year 11 so im retaking it
Reply 34
I assume everyone else here has the bit at the end of the exam where you have to write your own arguments, in which they tell you to include, for example, 3 reasons and a main conclusion.

Does anyone know if we're supposed to write (R) after each reason, (MC) after the main conclusion, etc? Our teacher gave us a revision sheet which advised you do this after each argument feature in case the examiner doesn't spot them normally, but our teacher didn't know whether we should or not.

Hope this makes sense to someone!
Reply 35
Original post by yarbles
I assume everyone else here has the bit at the end of the exam where you have to write your own arguments, in which they tell you to include, for example, 3 reasons and a main conclusion.

Does anyone know if we're supposed to write (R) after each reason, (MC) after the main conclusion, etc? Our teacher gave us a revision sheet which advised you do this after each argument feature in case the examiner doesn't spot them normally, but our teacher didn't know whether we should or not.

Hope this makes sense to someone!

YES. It needs to go after every argument element, such as IC, HR and so on. If you miss this out the maximum you can get is 3/12 marks.

Original post by tamil4
ours was should extreme sport be banned. i hope the topic is interesting. I have chemistry in the morning as well so a full day of exams :frown: GS wasn't too bad but ive always preferred culture to science so i dont expect tomorrows paper to be too great. i did unit 1 CT on monday, it wasn't too bad.

That sucks :frown: At least you'll have a little break between the morning and afternoon and the biggest exam is out of the way :smile: and same culture is so much easier to write about, you can kinda make more up. Science you need to have knowledge, especially for questions like how are earthquakes formed and what are the effects of them. But good luck on your F501 result!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
YES. It needs to go after every argument element, such as IC, HR and so on. If you miss this out the maximum you can get is 3/12 marks.

That sucks :frown: At least you'll have a little break between the morning and afternoon and the biggest exam is out of the way :smile: and same culture is so much easier to write about, you can kinda make more up. Science you need to have knowledge, especially for questions like how are earthquakes formed and what are the effects of them. But good luck on your F501 result!

I NEVER got taught this, so frustrating! thanks for letting me know, Life saver!
Reply 37

Wow, good job I asked! Thanks so much for answering! Like the guy below, I didn't get taught it, so if I hadn't have seen it on a sheet there's no way I'd have known we needed to do that.
Reply 38
Original post by Tweak6
Ok I'm actually stressing about this exam. I know it doesn't really matter but I would prefer not to outright fail..

Does anybody have any tips for how to write the long question at the end of the unit 1 paper? (Plausibility etc.)

plan it out on the paper below, just write the reasons/ intermediate conclusions down first, work out what your main conclusion will be and focus all points towards that. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 39
Good luck guys!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest