The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For the last few questions I said the peaks show the abundance of the ions, h20+ and then wrote about oxygen having an isotope of mass 18, which would make a h20 ion with mass 20, any ideas whether any of this is wrong?
Original post by jehearo
At first I didn't notice that they were talking about water but then four minutes to the end I finally noticed and quickly wrote down the right answer *phew*

Posted from TSR Mobile

The answer was [H2O]+ right?
Original post by SyedaK
How do you convert results to UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need the grade boundaries for example for the june 2012 paper here it says 49/60 is 72UMS http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16472-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-june-2012.pdf
Reply 223
Original post by hhustad
Yeah I wrote that too. I changed my answer at least 4 times though. I put (h2o)2+

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be H2O + since m/z is 18 - this means there must be a 1+ charge since the Mr of water is 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 224
Original post by RevisionEssence
The answer was [H2O]+ right?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jehearo
At first I didn't notice that they were talking about water but then four minutes to the end I finally noticed and quickly wrote down the right answer *phew*

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh I didn't even know fully till now :/ , I just knew I got it wrong but I wasn't sure why
Reply 226
Original post by krisshP
Water Mr=18, so it makes sense to get peaks below18 which are smaller, but HOW do you get peaks above 18?

Fragmentation would result in a smaller m/z - you would have to mention that there could be heavier isotopes of oxygen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomGunstone
90 UMS

unit 2 is 150?
Original post by nukethemaly
unit 2 is 150?

Yep, I think so.
Reply 230
Well, I'm sure that I've lost at least 7 marks, probably more... just stupid mistakes. >.< There goes my chance of 90% UMS... the grade boundaries for this one could mean that I don't even get an A...
Reply 231
Original post by Hamster96
How can so many people complain about missing the last page. They weren't trying to catch anyone out, they even wrote in bold letters "QUESTION 4 CONTINUES ON THE NEXT PAGE". You can't blame the exam board, you just need to read what's on the paper. Sorry if this offends anyone that missed it, but I don't see how it's anyone's fault but your own if you forget to read something, no point complaining about it now, what's done is done, and chances are those 3 marks won't affect your grade by much anyway.

Only thing I'm hoping is that (not to be mean) a lot of people missed them so the boundaries will be lower :colone:
Yay, think I lost about 3~4 marks to be safe, in case examiners don't like how I worded my answers. The questions I found awkward I got right for some reason.
Original post by JamesMartinez
Only thing I'm hoping is that (not to be mean) a lot of people missed them so the boundaries will be lower :colone:

Hahaha, I agree.
Original post by yl95
Yay, think I lost about 3~4 marks to be safe, in case examiners don't like how I worded my answers. The questions I found awkward I got right for some reason.

Yeah. How did you find the calculations?

I usually find them more difficult, but I got them both correct this time; I don't know what's wrong with me... :smile:
Original post by JamesMartinez

Yep, I agree. Paper was very easy so that could help us out in getting a higher grade
Reply 236
Is there a mark scheme up anywhere for this exam?

I think it was pretty similar to any of the other past papers, got the last bit wrong but knew that as I wrote my answer down...
Reply 237
Original post by jehearo
Fragmentation would result in a smaller m/z - you would have to mention that there could be heavier isotopes of oxygen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown:NOOOOOOOO

was that question just one mark?
Reply 238
Original post by krisshP
What everyone say foe the question on why there's a smaller peak at m/z 20?
I threw in molecular fragmentation of water.

2 hydrogens bonded to the isotope of oxygen with Mr 18.
Reply 239
What did everyone say for the question where we were asked to say 2 things we'd observe when calcium mixes with water or whatever the question was?

Latest

Trending

Trending