OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
i remember looking at the B2C2P2 papers for the additonal science
hey have section D in them,,, so we could practice from them :biggrin:
Reply 201
Original post by IHTWFR
How will you be revising?

Read the revision guide and do past papers. I don't write any notes because I end up writing the whole page:rolleyes:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Quick revision tip:
Since there aren't any past papers for the new syllabus for science (only 1 specimen paper for each science), I recommend you to go through some, if not all, the past papers for the old syllabus for OCR Gateway: :smile:

Old syllabus webpages (scroll down for past papers:
Biology- http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-gateway-science-suite-biology-b-j643-from-2006/
Chemistry- http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-gateway-science-suite-chemistry-b-j644-from-2006/
Physics- http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-gateway-science-suite-physics-b-j645-from-2006/

For biology and physics, the modules 4/5/6 papers should be fine as the topics are very similar. For chemistry, you will have to do modules C3, C5 and C6 because for some reason, in the new syllabus, modules 3 and 4 have been swapped around so C4 in the new syllabus would have been the same as C3 in the old syllabus. There is also one or two topics in C6 from the old syllabus which were moved to C3 in the current syllabus, so if there's a question on solution mining or brine in the C6 section of the past paper, it can be ignored. :wink:

I'm not sure if I've explained that very well, but if I haven't then ask me, and I'll try to clarify :redface:
Original post by Zippyzazu
hehe, ok thank you! i'm just going to aim for A*s all around, then see what happens! :P thanks also for the specimen papers- you're a lifesaver :biggrin: how's your revision going?? what grades are you hoping for? also, how many exams do you have left?

My revision is going okay although I'm trying to compress loads of past papers and subjects which I haven't done much revision for (e.g. English Language) into 2 weeks (the duration of my study leave) until I have to go back to school. :redface:

This might be a cliche but I'm trying to aim for mainly A/A* grades overall, but I'll be fine with a few Bs, but don't want anything lower. :biggrin: I've got 11 exams left and my first exams after half term/study leave will be English Language, followed by Geography. Can't wait to get English out of the way- it has to be my least favourite subject but to get an A*, I'll have to get full UMS, so I can lose a maximum of around 12 marks. :redface:

How many exams do you have left? And what are you taking at college? :smile:
Original post by ryanb97
x

Just wondering but are you going to spend more time revising B5 compared to B4 and B6? Because is it just me, or is B5 the module where you need to remember much more on..? :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Just wondering but are you going to spend more time revising B5 compared to B4 and B6? Because is it just me, or is B5 the module where you need to remember much more on..? :smile:

yeah i think it is a big one as well
well... i have made a timetable for the holidays,,, where i have 9 days so im going to spend about 4-5hours going through all the resources i have for one module e.g. b4 one day..b5 the next

i think it is quite easy once you get your head around it...p6 is a tough one i must admit... we havent covered C6/P5/P6 in school and we have study leave
im happy i covered the content in january :biggrin:

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
yeah i think it is a big one as well
well... i have made a timetable for the holidays,,, where i have 9 days so im going to spend about 4-5hours going through all the resources i have for one module e.g. b4 one day..b5 the next

i think it is quite easy once you get your head around it...p6 is a tough one i must admit... we havent covered C6/P5/P6 in school and we have study leave
im happy i covered the content in january :biggrin:

ryan

I see, that's a good way of doing it :smile:

So, I assume, you don't find Chemistry difficult...Or are there modules which you find difficult? :cool:
Reply 207
I see, that's a good way of doing it :smile:

So, I assume, you don't find Chemistry difficult...Or are there modules which you find difficult? :cool:

nah not really..chemistry i need to recap though.. but im most confident in bio..
Original post by ryanb97
nah not really..chemistry i need to recap though.. but im most confident in bio..

I'm most confident in Chemistry, followed by Physics/Biology. :tongue:
In the old past papers, it doesn't seem as though they have a Section D- does anyone have any tips or past questions that would give practice for it (it constitutes 12% of the marks in the paper!) :smile:
Reply 210
In the old past papers, it doesn't seem as though they have a Section D- does anyone have any tips or past questions that would give practice for it (it constitutes 12% of the marks in the paper!) :smile:

ermm... its basically general knowledge.. ithink it is the easiest part of the paper

but saying that a lot of this section does link back to research metods in psychology

i would say practice ... i think if you really need practice go over the section D part stuff in the B2C2P2 papers

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
ermm... its basically general knowledge.. ithink it is the easiest part of the paper

but saying that a lot of this section does link back to research metods in psychology

i would say practice ... i think if you really need practice go over the section D part stuff in the B2C2P2 papers

ryan

And one more question: for Chemistry, when you're drawing Dot and Cross Diagrams for Ionic bonding (the one with brackets around them), do you have to include all the shells and their electrons (e.g. for NaCl, do you have to draw all the electrons around the Na or do you just draw them for the Cl where the electrons are being transferred to if that makes sense)? :smile:
Reply 212
And one more question: for Chemistry, when you're drawing Dot and Cross Diagrams for Ionic bonding (the one with brackets around them), do you have to include all the shells and their electrons (e.g. for NaCl, do you have to draw all the electrons around the Na or do you just draw them for the Cl where the electrons are being transferred to if that makes sense)? :smile:

in the specimen paper it said not to .. so im guessing no
My revision is going okay although I'm trying to compress loads of past papers and subjects which I haven't done much revision for (e.g. English Language) into 2 weeks (the duration of my study leave) until I have to go back to school. :redface:

This might be a cliche but I'm trying to aim for mainly A/A* grades overall, but I'll be fine with a few Bs, but don't want anything lower. :biggrin: I've got 11 exams left and my first exams after half term/study leave will be English Language, followed by Geography. Can't wait to get English out of the way- it has to be my least favourite subject but to get an A*, I'll have to get full UMS, so I can lose a maximum of around 12 marks. :redface:

How many exams do you have left? And what are you taking at college? :smile:

aw cool! same, i reallllllly do NOT want any Bs, i want to do medicine so it'd look bad aha :tongue: wow, i have 10 left, but then i did start of with 17, so it's not too bad i guess :wink: ohh good luck for english then!! i did my language last year in june, got highest mark in the school, but because they stupidly moved the grade boundaries by 10 marks, i ended up being 4 marks below an A* :frown: a lot of teachers wanted my to re-do it this year, to get an A* but i refused haha :biggrin: how did you find literature by the way?? i'm soooooo glad i never have to read a short story EVER again! :smile: at college, i am doing maths, psychology, biology, chemistry and an extended project :tongue: what about you? what do you wanna do in the future? :smile:
Reply 214
aw cool! same, i reallllllly do NOT want any Bs, i want to do medicine so it'd look bad aha :tongue: wow, i have 10 left, but then i did start of with 17, so it's not too bad i guess :wink: ohh good luck for english then!! i did my language last year in june, got highest mark in the school, but because they stupidly moved the grade boundaries by 10 marks, i ended up being 4 marks below an A* :

if you did this on AQA... the grade bonderies for A/A* students didnt change...

I am! So much theory and honestly I might just memorise it
Reply 216
Modules 4, 5 and 6 couldn't possibly be any more boring. I much prefer the first 3.
aw cool! same, i reallllllly do NOT want any Bs, i want to do medicine so it'd look bad aha :tongue: wow, i have 10 left, but then i did start of with 17, so it's not too bad i guess :wink: ohh good luck for english then!! i did my language last year in june, got highest mark in the school, but because they stupidly moved the grade boundaries by 10 marks, i ended up being 4 marks below an A* :frown: a lot of teachers wanted my to re-do it this year, to get an A* but i refused haha :biggrin: how did you find literature by the way?? i'm soooooo glad i never have to read a short story EVER again! :smile: at college, i am doing maths, psychology, biology, chemistry and an extended project :tongue: what about you? what do you wanna do in the future? :smile:

Nice, it's amazing how you managed to get such a good grade and yet they still asked you to redo it! :cool:
I did the Unit 1 exam this year as I did the Unit 2 one last year (got a B in it though :colondollar: ). For the Unit 1 exam, Section A was okay (I'm doing the Crucible) but I ran out of time on Section B (Of Mice and Men) so my response for it I don't think was that good for it. But I'm relieved that I won't have to do it again. :redface: Do you do French by any chance (for AQA)? That's interesting combination of subjects for A level (although I never liked biology as much as physics/chemistry before :tongue: ). I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and good luck with your medicine ambitions (I assume you want to become a doctor? :smile: ). I've decided to become a scientist (hopefully physicist doing research) but my backup option would be aeronautical engineer. Have you considered any universities you want to go to in the future? :cool:
Reply 218
I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths

I've picked the same subjects:biggrin:, although my Further Maths class will have 5 people in it which should be lively:bebored:
Original post by Red Fox
I've picked the same subjects:biggrin:, although my Further Maths class will have 5 people in it which should be lively:bebored:

Cool, do you know which exam boards you will be on? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending