The Student Room Group

Aqa b1 exam on wednesday

Hey Guys, So I was wondering if anyone else is taking the AQA Biology Core science exam this Wednesday! any tips on what to learn? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Aminahx
Hey Guys, So I was wondering if anyone else is taking the AQA Biology Core science exam this Wednesday! any tips on what to learn? :smile:

I'm not taking this exam, but I'd have thought learning what's on your spec might be an idea :tongue:
Reply 2
Yeah I'm doing this exam:smile:
I haven't done all my revision yet, mainly focussing on history atm, exam tomorrow :O
But I've done all the yourself things on the AQA textbook and a few old spec past papers. You?
Reply 3
Original post by AparnaX
Yeah I'm doing this exam:smile:
I haven't done all my revision yet, mainly focussing on history atm, exam tomorrow :O
But I've done all the yourself things on the AQA textbook and a few old spec past papers. You?

Well I did my mock last week and I did quite badly as I got a B and I need to get an A* but i'm trying to revise but its so hard since i'm also doing C1 and P1 next week too so I have to revise for those as well!
Reply 4
Original post by Aminahx
Well I did my mock last week and I did quite badly as I got a B and I need to get an A* but i'm trying to revise but its so hard since i'm also doing C1 and P1 next week too so I have to revise for those as well!

Yeah same.. But thankfully my exams are more relaxed now. The week before half term I had like 8 exams :L on the monday I had 4.

But also, I have 3 exams before biology so I haven't looked at it much...
Do you have the nelson thornes textbook with the assess yourself questions? Because my teacher printed me off some answers to those questions so I could send them to you if you want to do them and check your answers.

And my advice would be practise past papers because a lot of it is exam technique. And also, read the specification like a billion times because that's where they make their mark schemes from. So use wording from the spec :smile:

Of course, revise over the topics you're unsure of, make revision cards etc. there are some podcasts on bitesize you may want to look at.
Also, at the beginning of each topic on the specification, it has a few things that you should be able to evaluate. E.g. in vitro fertilisation, use of plant hormones for weedkillers, cloning, GM crops. Do little cards with advantages and disadvantages as these could be 6 markers.

Other 6 markers could be like a process. E.g. the menstrual cycle, evolution, reflex arc. So make sure you know these pretty well so you can write a six marker on these.
Hi! yeah I have one too on Wednesday in the afternoon i'm doing higher. I think everything will come up from the aqa science A textbook if you're doing higher so like drugs in sport, plant growth, evolution e.t.c I hate science so I can't wait to get over and down with anyways good luck:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AparnaX
Yeah same.. But thankfully my exams are more relaxed now. The week before half term I had like 8 exams :L on the monday I had 4.

But also, I have 3 exams before biology so I haven't looked at it much...
Do you have the nelson thornes textbook with the assess yourself questions? Because my teacher printed me off some answers to those questions so I could send them to you if you want to do them and check your answers.

And my advice would be practise past papers because a lot of it is exam technique. And also, read the specification like a billion times because that's where they make their mark schemes from. So use wording from the spec :smile:

Of course, revise over the topics you're unsure of, make revision cards etc. there are some podcasts on bitesize you may want to look at.
Also, at the beginning of each topic on the specification, it has a few things that you should be able to evaluate. E.g. in vitro fertilisation, use of plant hormones for weedkillers, cloning, GM crops. Do little cards with advantages and disadvantages as these could be 6 markers.

Other 6 markers could be like a process. E.g. the menstrual cycle, evolution, reflex arc. So make sure you know these pretty well so you can write a six marker on these.

Wow Thanks so much! And if you could send them over that would be so helpful. I'm going to go now and read through the specification and I've been just doing the specimen paper, so hopefully it will all pay off! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DirectionerAlert
Hi! yeah I have one too on Wednesday in the afternoon i'm doing higher. I think everything will come up from the aqa science A textbook if you're doing higher so like drugs in sport, plant growth, evolution e.t.c I hate science so I can't wait to get over and down with anyways good luck:smile:

Hey you're a Directioner tooo! I can't wait to get Biology done since its like my weakest one out of the other sciences but like i'm trying to revise as much as I can and now with a few new tips i'm going to do them!
Original post by Aminahx
Hey you're a Directioner tooo! I can't wait to get Biology done since its like my weakest one out of the other sciences but like i'm trying to revise as much as I can and now with a few new tips i'm going to do them!

I'm retaking to get 100 ums, cos i got 97 last time :biggrin:

I'm basiclly leaving most of it till after my exam tomorrow. I've read the book about 3 times only, but in all fairness I just needed to refresh my memory, which it did.
Reply 9
Original post by king_revision
I'm retaking to get 100 ums, cos i got 97 last time :biggrin:

I'm basiclly leaving most of it till after my exam tomorrow. I've read the book about 3 times only, but in all fairness I just needed to refresh my memory, which it did.

I only got 80 UMS points in my mock so that's why I'm freaking out about this one but to be honest in my mock I was not that prepared. But like I can't believe you were 3 points short! At least your school lets you take re-sits whereas mine doesn't, so I'm stuck with this grade that I will get!
Original post by Aminahx
I only got 80 UMS points in my mock so that's why I'm freaking out about this one but to be honest in my mock I was not that prepared. But like I can't believe you were 3 points short! At least your school lets you take re-sits whereas mine doesn't, so I'm stuck with this grade that I will get!

In all fairness, we're not allowed to do resits most of the time, but I told my mother to call in and get them to put the exam on. It did cost a considerable price seen as it was short notice.
Reply 11
Original post by king_revision
In all fairness, we're not allowed to do resits most of the time, but I told my mother to call in and get them to put the exam on. It did cost a considerable price seen as it was short notice.

Ohh okay, well if this doesn't work out then I'm hoping to do a re-sit out of school!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending