The Student Room Group

All nighter Psychology

I have my psychology exam (As-level) on Wednesday and I haven't even started revising for it. Any tips or short plans that how can I study my best in one night without ending up sleeping?
Original post by Shrusti23
I have my psychology exam (As-level) on Wednesday and I haven't even started revising for it. Any tips or short plans that how can I study my best in one night without ending up sleeping?

My advice would be to not pull an all-nighter. There's plenty of evidence to demonstrate that people's cognitive performance is severely impacted by lack of sleep. You are likely to struggle to concentrate and think clearly during the exam, which will completely counteract the benefit of any knowledge gained overnight.

Unfortunately, I have no advice as to "tips or short plans" for how you can cram during your waking hours between now and Wednesday.
Reply 2
i suggest u watch revision vids .you can speed the vid up but rather than spending an all nighter i suggest u try maybe waking up early as it proven that ur mind is sharper and ur more likely to remember things better in the morning .
Reply 3
I shall give you some practical advice that I’m planning on using for my A level (Friday). You have 3 days which is plenty of time, trust me. You can do it. I don’t want to limit you but we need to be realistic here, the chances of getting A*s if you haven’t previously been consistently getting them prior to this point are slim. but that doesn’t mean you can make a significant amount of progress in a few days. It may feel easy to wanna just give up cuz you think it’s too late but believe me it’s not.

In my recent mock I did no revision, did this all the night before and managed to get a B was a few marks of an A. For reference I’m not the smartest so idk how I got that but all I did is watch YouTube videos on repeat of every topic right until I went into the exam.

But this is what I’d recommend you to do. Hopefully you do AQA cuz this will make it easier to understand. I’m assuming it’s paper 1.

First figure out what topics you need to get through and spend I’d say like 4hrs if need be watching through them. This will help you understand them and once you understand them or even get a basic knowledge of them you can easily build on it, but without the basic knowledge you won’t get far. So many people say do past papers but with what knowledge, without knowing anything it’s just ineffective.
Then I’d recommend actually doing papers papers but not actually writing them out but instead having the mark scheme open and learning the right answer for it. I’m not sure if that makes sense but let me know if it doesn’t. In doing that you’ll understand what every question wants and in the exam you’ll understand what to do. In doing this you’ll fill in random gaps in knowledge and build on your exam skill and save time in actually answering the q’s. If you want I’d suggest doing a full paper the night before just to get into the feel of it but prior to that just go through q’s and learn the markscheme and fill in any major blanks in knowledge through videos.

Goodluck you’ve got this ! Make me proud ❤️
( I’m using the exact same techniques for my psych too so we’ll see how well it goes, I’ve heard it’s really effective and got a guy from a U- A in a week so hopefully it’ll be just as effective for us)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
I’d recommend watching psych boost for psychology videos, and for rreeearch methods type in y1 psychology content aqa and a 30 min vid should come up. It’s a teacher say a desk with the board projecting the ppt behind her. I found that so so so helpful and it’s the only reason I managed to actually gain Mamés in research methods in my mock cuz i knew NOTHING about research methods ( didn’t listen in class and teacher wasn’t very helpful) but managed to learn a fair bit from there. But for extra depth I’d say watch psych boost if you time (for research methods) but focus on y12 content make sure you don’t waste time learning stuff you don’t need. Once again; you’ve got this i belive in you
Reply 5
Original post by Nomeraaa
I shall give you some practical advice that I’m planning on using for my A level (Friday). You have 3 days which is plenty of time, trust me. You can do it. I don’t want to limit you but we need to be realistic here, the chances of getting A*s if you haven’t previously been consistently getting them prior to this point are slim. but that doesn’t mean you can make a significant amount of progress in a few days. It may feel easy to wanna just give up cuz you think it’s too late but believe me it’s not.

In my recent mock I did no revision, did this all the night before and managed to get a B was a few marks of an A. For reference I’m not the smartest so idk how I got that but all I did is watch YouTube videos on repeat of every topic right until I went into the exam.

But this is what I’d recommend you to do. Hopefully you do AQA cuz this will make it easier to understand. I’m assuming it’s paper 1.

First figure out what topics you need to get through and spend I’d say like 4hrs if need be watching through them. This will help you understand them and once you understand them or even get a basic knowledge of them you can easily build on it, but without the basic knowledge you won’t get far. So many people say do past papers but with what knowledge, without knowing anything it’s just ineffective.
Then I’d recommend actually doing papers papers but not actually writing them out but instead having the mark scheme open and learning the right answer for it. I’m not sure if that makes sense but let me know if it doesn’t. In doing that you’ll understand what every question wants and in the exam you’ll understand what to do. In doing this you’ll fill in random gaps in knowledge and build on your exam skill and save time in actually answering the q’s. If you want I’d suggest doing a full paper the night before just to get into the feel of it but prior to that just go through q’s and learn the markscheme and fill in any major blanks in knowledge through videos.

Goodluck you’ve got this ! Make me proud ❤️
( I’m using the exact same techniques for my psych too so we’ll see how well it goes, I’ve heard it’s really effective and got a guy from a U- A in a week so hopefully it’ll be just as effective for us)

Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely try this and also I wish you all the best for all of your exams.
What other subjects do you do ? So if you might be doing any similar subjects to me your study tips might be helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by Nomeraaa
I’d recommend watching psych boost for psychology videos, and for rreeearch methods type in y1 psychology content aqa and a 30 min vid should come up. It’s a teacher say a desk with the board projecting the ppt behind her. I found that so so so helpful and it’s the only reason I managed to actually gain Mamés in research methods in my mock cuz i knew NOTHING about research methods ( didn’t listen in class and teacher wasn’t very helpful) but managed to learn a fair bit from there. But for extra depth I’d say watch psych boost if you time (for research methods) but focus on y12 content make sure you don’t waste time learning stuff you don’t need. Once again; you’ve got this i belive in you

My psychology topics are Research methods until pilot studies, attachments and memory until forgetting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending