The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
The only thing I'm concerned about is the vectors question. But that's mainly because I did so much differential stuff studying FP3.

I'd advise everyone, in the last few moments, to go over - basic geometry, like knowing what a rhombus is, because it might come up in vectors
and some of your Core 3 integration if it's a while since you touched it, because that shows up in differential equations

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 141
I need to be in a completely different frame of mind to answer the vectors question, so I may do it first. That way it's separate from all the others
Reply 142
Would anybody be able to help me with a Jan 13 exponential models question please? It's 7)b) part 1, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to differentiate the original model or get it from somewhere else, thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=224368&d=1370627149
Original post by SherlockHolmes
They are old papers which were made for AQA.

I have attached the first 3 papers and mark scheme.

Do you know where the rest of them are?
Reply 144
Original post by Sir Lagsalot
Do you know where the rest of them are?

http://www.mathsgeeks.co.uk/aqa.html
Original post by Joeyye
Would anybody be able to help me with a Jan 13 exponential models question please? It's 7)b) part 1, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to differentiate the original model or get it from somewhere else, thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=224368&d=1370627149

Yeah you differentiate the first expression N=...
by either the qoutient rule it the chain rule. The tricky bit is getting the answer in the form they want after differentiating it
image.jpg

Is this right because in the markscheme they do it differently and so get a different value for C
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

It's 8bi).
Reply 147
Original post by littleangel9914
Yeah you differentiate the first expression N=...
by either the qoutient rule it the chain rule. The tricky bit is getting the answer in the form they want after differentiating it

IIRC you have to work backwards from the answer that they give you to prove that it's the same. Or, at least, that's definitely the easiest way of doing it: have your differentiated N and their expression for dN meet in the middle.
image.jpg
Original post by bugsuper
IIRC you have to work backwards from the answer that they give you to prove that it's the same. Or, at least, that's definitely the easiest way of doing it: have your differentiated N and their expression for dN meet in the middle.

image.jpg

That's how I did it. Hope it make sense
Reply 149
Original post by fizzbizz
January 2013 was the easiest paper to date to be honest

No it wasn't. The incredibly low grade boundaries show that is was far from the easiest.
Reply 150
Are we expected to use/know the factor formulas in C4? The two books I have cover it but I've not seen any questions on them in the past few years.
Reply 151
"factor formulas"?

Do you mean like the factor theorem and remainder theorem? Because that seems to come up every paper.

If you mean the trig ones, which I suspect you do, then I don't think so, because it's not on the specification:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-6360-W-SP-13.PDF

Check the trig section 12.4 for Core 4. It's just the double-angle formulae and the R-alpha method
Reply 152
sinA + sinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

and so on.

Seems they're not in the spec which is good. It's strange because both my AQA C4 books cover them. Thanks all the same.
Reply 153
Original post by Ravster
sinA + sinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

and so on.

Seems they're not in the spec which is good. It's strange because both my AQA C4 books cover them. Thanks all the same.

They haven't appeared on any past papers I've done.
On core four jan13 past paper question 5a why do you not need to integrate by parts?
Reply 155
Original post by MedicineMann
On core four jan13 past paper question 5a why do you not need to integrate by parts?

Integration by parts doesn't always work, if the powers that the variables are to don't cancel out nicely etc
Reply 156
could somebody please help me with a question from jan'10 core 4?
its question 2 part c.

its solving cos x + 3 sinx = 2
in part a you get that cos x + 3sinx = (10)^1/2 cos (x-1.249)

need to find all answers in range 0 - 2 pi
but i can only get 2 answers, mark scheme says 4 but dont know how to get these!! please help!!
Original post by M^2012
Integration by parts doesn't always work, if the powers that the variables are to don't cancel out nicely etc

So why does x(x^2+3)^1/2 integrated become p(x^2+3)^3/2?
Original post by llmcc
could somebody please help me with a question from jan'10 core 4?
its question 2 part c.

its solving cos x + 3 sinx = 2
in part a you get that cos x + 3sinx = (10)^1/2 cos (x-1.249)

need to find all answers in range 0 - 2 pi
but i can only get 2 answers, mark scheme says 4 but dont know how to get these!! please help!!

square roots are positive and negative
Reply 159
Original post by MedicineMann
square roots are positive and negative

but even though in part a it says R > 0 do you ignore this for part c?

Latest

Trending

Trending