The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Tikara
omg I can't ever believe how a solid buffer question gets 1 mark and no indication in the mark scheme whatsoever of how to properly do it - must I be doing them wrong or something?

can anyone help on Jan 12 question 5 fii ? It's another annoying proportion thing but I got the previous bit right (somehow) but can't get 2.73 for the answer

Go back a couple of pages to something like page 8 or 9 someone's answered it well there :smile:
Reply 201
Hi can anyone help me on the June 2010 paper Q2f, it's an NMR guess the compound one, I can't see how it is CH3CH2OCH2CH3 :/

Reply 202
Original post by totw
Go back a couple of pages to something like page 8 or 9 someone's answered it well there :smile:

lmao!! turns out I asked the question after getting stuck on this question the first time I did this paper and forgot about it oh god if this is what my memory is like then I'm reaaaally worried for this exam now xD
Reply 203
for june 2012 question 5e)

the last mark in the mark scheme is for saying 'Entropy loss of water/more order in water'

does anyone one know what it means.. I am not sure how to put it in a sentence that make sense? thanks
Reply 204
Original post by tsr1
for june 2012 question 5e)

the last mark in the mark scheme is for saying 'Entropy loss of water/more order in water'

does anyone one know what it means.. I am not sure how to put it in a sentence that make sense? thanks

In entropy in water decreases so there is less disorder
Reply 205
Original post by super121
In entropy in water decreases so there is less disorder

so in solid, there is no water and therefore, there is low entropy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by tsr1
so in solid, there is no water and therefore, there is low entropy?

I don't know what the question is, but entropy decreases going from a liquid to a solid
Gases have the most entropy while solids have the least :smile:
Reply 207
Original post by super121
I don't know what the question is, but entropy decreases going from a liquid to a solid
Gases have the most entropy while solids have the least :smile:

salts consists of small highly charged ions e.g. ca+2, S(sys) has a negative value

suggest why S(sys) is often more positive for dissolving processes but negative for the dissolving of some calcium salts

so, the last mark was for saying 'entropy loss of water / more order in water ' which I was confused about...
Reply 208
Original post by tsr1
salts consists of small highly charged ions e.g. ca+2, S(sys) has a negative value

suggest why S(sys) is often more positive for dissolving processes but negative for the dissolving of some calcium salts

so, the last mark was for saying 'entropy loss of water / more order in water ' which I was confused about...

It's just saying that there is less entropy in water, because in the question we were told that Ca ions have a negative values for deltaSsys, suggesting that entropy decreases.
Remember, if deltaSsys is negative, entropy decreases and vice versa
Original post by Ikklemini
I'm doing the jan 2011 paper and not sure about question 4) (f)

It says explain what is meant by a buffer solution and how a buffer solution works by referring to the equilibrium in equation 4.1.

resists pH change AW
when acid/alkali added
in small quantities
equilibrium moves to left when acid added [ORA for alkali]
removing acid / H+ [ORA for alkali] large concentration of HCO3–

The mark scheme had this answer but I dont understand the change in equlibrium- could someone explain this please!! Thank you x

Can someone please help with this question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 210
Original post by Ikklemini
Can someone please help with this question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It moves to the left to counteract the change of the acid being added, because there's a higher conc of acid on the right
Original post by Jlane5000
Hi, sorry if i'm being really stupid but could you walk me through how you got the answer. I've been trying to figure it out for an hour. I thought to work out the conc of H+ that it was ka * [HA]/[A-]

but in your calculation you have the salt being divided by the acid, and i'm confused why. Sorry if i'm being thick, i've been staring at it too long and my brain has turned to mush :colondollar:

If you look in Chemical Ideas on Page 191 the equation I'm using in under the text saying "If we make use of assumptions 1 and 2 above" :smile:
Original post by Tikara
NMRSPEC.JPG

Guysss can I get some help with nmr spectroscopy? The mark scheme says neither of the peaks have splitting :frown: Can you not have splitting when the H is bonded to an O ? or when there is in O next to the C?

You don't get splitting through oxygen's due to their high electronegativity :-) (If I remember correctly)

Edit: You don't get splitting because the environments are separated by an oxygen, an oxygen is more likely to shift a peak downfield due to electronegativity
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey team,

Just to clarify, the conditions for hydrolysis of an ester and an amide are the same right? Dilute HCL/NaOH and reflux?

Cheers
Reply 214
Original post by Salmonidae
Hey team,

Just to clarify, the conditions for hydrolysis of an ester and an amide are the same right? Dilute HCL/NaOH and reflux?

Cheers

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salmonidae
Hey team,

Cheers

I would love to say it is, but the mark schemes differ so widely! One time it says, ignore dilute and only accept mod. concentrated, other times it says the polar opposite! :/

I would, though, still write what you said; it's what the books say, so you can't go wrong tbh save crazy OCR markers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Original post by abzy1234
I would love to say it is, but the mark schemes differ so widely! One time it says, ignore dilute and only accept mod. concentrated, other times it says the polar opposite! :/

I would, though, still write what you said; it's what the books say, so you can't go wrong tbh save crazy OCR markers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha really? Where on earth does it say moderately concentrated anywhere in the textbooks?! Gah, I hate overly picky mark schemes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abzy1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by suncake
Haha really? Where on earth does it say moderately concentrated anywhere in the textbooks?! Gah, I hate overly picky mark schemes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly why I asked. I hoped it wasn't just me having trouble with crazy contradictory mark schemes. Very frustrating!
This is a question from Jan 13 I don't understand...

20cm^3 of 0.015moldm^-3 HNO3 is mixed with 10cm^3 of 0.015moldm^-3 NaOH.

Calc pH of resulting solution.
Reply 219
Does anyone have any good model answers for this exam? Or know where to find some? Im really struggling.. it seems like there was no point me even turning up to the lessons for this exam!

Latest

Trending

Trending