OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
im thinking

60 - A*
47 - A
35 - B
27 -C

I really doubt it'll be that high. In past papers, the 'Raw' marks have been quite low.

Personally, I think I did really well in the other test (last year) and coursework (48/48), thus, I don't need much to get that A*.
Reply 941
Original post by Joseph.S
I really doubt it'll be that high. In past papers, the 'Raw' marks have been quite low.

Personally, I think I did really well in the other test (last year) and coursework (48/48), thus, I don't need much to get that A*.

i had 140/140 last year...47/48 in the C/A..so we only need B's to get an A*..a high one though

well i would rather have a pleasant surprise on results day..rather than fall from my horse :biggrin:

ryan
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not sure if this has been asked but I got 35/48 in biology coursework what would you reckon the grade boundaries are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adikurdyla
I'm not sure if this has been asked but I got 35/48 in biology coursework what would you reckon the grade boundaries are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been told it's 42-A*, 37-A, 32/3-B, 27-C, so a highish B? :smile:
Original post by DeadUnicorn
I've been told it's 42-A*, 37-A, 32/3-B, 27-C, so a highish B? :smile:

Ah, thank you! That sounds reasonable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adikurdyla
Ah, thank you! That sounds reasonable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would've guessed that's quite low, seeing it's out of 85?

However, looking back at the Raw scores - Grade scaling (roughly) 44 was needed for an A, and I think that was out of 75.

We're all good guys.

And I got 135/140 in Bio.
Original post by Joseph.S
I would've guessed that's quite low, seeing it's out of 85?

However, looking back at the Raw scores - Grade scaling (roughly) 44 was needed for an A, and I think that was out of 75.

We're all good guys.

And I got 135/140 in Bio.

Ah no I was talking about the biology coursework which is out of 48 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 947
Looking at grade boundaries from previous years (i know we are doing the new spec) but the grade boundaries for B4 B5 and B6 are usually lower than they are for B1 B2 B3 as the latter modules people find easier.

Grade boundaries for B1 B2 B3 were quite low and if B4 B5 B6 modules people find harder then most likely they will be lower if not the same.

Hope that gives some people hope :biggrin:
I really hope it ends up like that! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically in the b1,2,3 i got 140/140 and in coursework i got around 42 and 43 out of 48. So could i get a A* overall with an low A in this exam. and does anyone have any idea for the raw mark grade boundaries??
Original post by sachins314
So basically in the b1,2,3 i got 140/140 and in coursework i got around 42 and 43 out of 48. So could i get a A* overall with an low A in this exam. and does anyone have any idea for the raw mark grade boundaries??

Yes that's an A* in Jan and an A* in coursework so of course you could :smile: raw mark wise....not sure but personally i'd think about 48 raw marks would get you the required UMS this time. It was 45 last year for an A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benwalters1996
Yes that's an A* in Jan and an A* in coursework so of course you could :smile: raw mark wise....not sure but personally i'd think about 48 raw marks would get you the required UMS this time. It was 45 last year for an A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ya so i looked at the UMS for biology and to get an A* you need 360/400. The coursework is out of 100 UMS. So to get A* in CA you need 90 UMS. So that means if a take 90 as my UMS for CA i have 230 UMS. This means i only need 130 UMS points in this exam... so like a low A. But i have no idea what the raw marks are going to be like... Just worried that Stupid Michael Gove (education MP) will do something stupid!!!
Original post by sachins314
Ya so i looked at the UMS for biology and to get an A* you need 360/400. The coursework is out of 100 UMS. So to get A* in CA you need 90 UMS. So that means if a take 90 as my UMS for CA i have 230 UMS. This means i only need 130 UMS points in this exam... so like a low A. But i have no idea what the raw marks are going to be like... Just worried that Stupid Michael Gove (education MP) will do something stupid!!!

Don't worry! It'd be suprising if the boundary for A* was even 50-55! An A - probably 40-45ish... Your other grades are great aswell.
what was the answer to the question about how bacteria can live with extreme conditions?:confused:
I said that their enzymes are adapted to work at extremely low temperatures and they rely on marine snow from phytoplankton from above as a food source. I'm not sure if that's right though
Reply 955
Original post by ghost_rebel
what was the answer to the question about how bacteria can live with extreme conditions?:confused:

They use the sulfur for energy (because it said there were high concentrations of a chemical with sulfide in it)
Original post by andersson
They use the sulfur for energy (because it said there were high concentrations of a chemical with sulfide in it)

Thanks!if i said that they feed on dead,decaying material from nearer the surface (marine snow) do u think they'd accept that?
Reply 957
Thanks!if i said that they feed on dead,decaying material from nearer the surface (marine snow) do u think they'd accept that?

I thought that's what the animals do, not the bacteria :confused: But maybe! :smile:

I wrote the same as you but then I also added bacteria have adapted to the extreme environment and they can also act as producers and make their own food (couldn't think of much to write lol)... :wink:
Original post by andersson
I thought that's what the animals do, not the bacteria :confused: But maybe! :smile:

Ahhh right thank youu:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending