The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Any one applying to Scarborough campus of hull uni??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey, i've applied to primary teaching too! it's my insurance choice but i want to go here more than my firm :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 41
Can't you decline your firm choice and accept your insurance choice x
Reply 42
I'm not sure, going to look into it x
Reply 43
What do you have as your firm choice x
Reply 44
Original post by emmahunt23
What do you have as your firm choice x

Edge Hill :smile: x
Reply 45
Where is that? X
Reply 46
Hey, nice to see so many people doing the Primary Teaching course. I'm in my first year doing Primary Teaching and remembered how much I wanted information about Scarborough before I started my course. Feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 47
Also, if you have not seen the standard of the Uni accommodation, here is an album showing pretty much every room of every house. http://picasaweb.google.com/100248273464333856172

I think it's a year or two out of date so it's not completely accurate, but it'll be generally the same standard as it is now.
Reply 48
Original post by Matkinson
Hey, nice to see so many people doing the Primary Teaching course. I'm in my first year doing Primary Teaching and remembered how much I wanted information about Scarborough before I started my course. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hi I have a bit of a weird question :smile: since Scarborough is like the second campus from the main university is there still a Freshers Week, and do you have to trek out to Hull?
Reply 49
Are there any exams that you need to take within the course please? X
Reply 50
Original post by Mozz
Hi I have a bit of a weird question :smile: since Scarborough is like the second campus from the main university is there still a Freshers Week, and do you have to trek out to Hull?

Sorry I'm not the person you asked but I'm going into my last year so can answer this too.
Scarborough does have it's own freshers-type events going on (themed nights like karaoke at Calvino's) but I stayed in a student house in town and we found much better stuff to do in town like rock 'n' roll bingo or going out. It was quite annoying because I paid £20 for a wristband that would get me into all the events at the uni but the only night I used it it was free to enter anyway. So IMO the wristband is a waste of money unless you are certain you'll be at every single event. It's more flexible to just save your money and see what you feel like doing when you get to Scarborough. :smile:

Hull have a much better Fresher's Week but I've never heard of anyone going to Hull for it. You're better off using the time to see what there is in Scarbs.
Reply 51
Original post by emmahunt23
Where is that? X

In Liverpool :smile: x
Reply 52
Hi:smile:

Starting in Scarborough campus in September - just wanted to meet some people :smile:
I'm going to be studying early childhood studies - and move into the accommodation in the 21st
a few questions - what's freshens week like? What's in like on the first day, and is there anyone else in my course on here

emma xx
Reply 53
Original post by sophiella1993
Hey, i've applied to Scarborough campus (hull uni) studying Early childhood studies. just wondering if anyone else is planning on going there in September would be good to get to know some people before we all go?? :smile:

Thanks
xx

Hi:smile:

im going to do early childhood studies

x
Reply 54
Original post by sophiella1993
hey i've firmed my offer for early childhood too :smile: x can't wait till september x

firmed mine too!!
Reply 55
Original post by alabelle
Sorry I'm not the person you asked but I'm going into my last year so can answer this too.
Scarborough does have it's own freshers-type events going on (themed nights like karaoke at Calvino's) but I stayed in a student house in town and we found much better stuff to do in town like rock 'n' roll bingo or going out. It was quite annoying because I paid £20 for a wristband that would get me into all the events at the uni but the only night I used it it was free to enter anyway. So IMO the wristband is a waste of money unless you are certain you'll be at every single event. It's more flexible to just save your money and see what you feel like doing when you get to Scarborough. :smile:

Hull have a much better Fresher's Week but I've never heard of anyone going to Hull for it. You're better off using the time to see what there is in Scarbs.

so what normally happens in freshens week in scarborough - do people just do their own thing, rather than what the uni provide??
Reply 56
GUYS HELP NEEDED

i really don't know what I need to bring for uni :frown:

will I need a laptop instead of my iPad, and books? Do I need to bring my own books or will I get them ?!

also - will I need to take a fridge (like a small one) for in my room??
Reply 57
Original post by Mzee
so what normally happens in freshens week in scarborough - do people just do their own thing, rather than what the uni provide??

I think it usually depends on where you live. If you're in one of the houses in town, you're more likely to spend Fresher's Week exploring what there is in town. But if you're staying in Cayley Halls, town is further away, so you might spend more time at the uni going to stuff in Calvino's. I think people tend to a bit of both, though. I preferred doing my own thing but you might be different. I don't recommend buying the wristband though because chances are you'll lose money rather than save it. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Mzee
GUYS HELP NEEDED

i really don't know what I need to bring for uni :frown:

will I need a laptop instead of my iPad, and books? Do I need to bring my own books or will I get them ?!

also - will I need to take a fridge (like a small one) for in my room??

Do you know which type of accommodation you're going for yet?

For the laptop, it depends on your study habits. I found having a laptop handy because I like to do my assignments on it, but you might be able to get away with using the uni computers. They tend to get busy though, so getting hold of a laptop would be helpful.

For books, it depends on your course. They might give you a reading list of books to get hold of before you arrive, but in my experience it's better to start the course and work out which ones will actually be useful for you. You can save a bit of money that way. As far as I know, for every course you buy your own books. They can be much cheaper if you shop around online or buy from students in the later years of your course.

And no, you shouldn't need a fridge. I've never heard of anyone struggling for room to store their stuff and I actually think there was something in our contract about not bringing them because they use a lot of electricity, I could be wrong though. I think at least one of the student houses actually has mini fridges in some of the rooms anyway though.
Reply 59
Original post by alabelle
Do you know which type of accommodation you're going for yet?

For the laptop, it depends on your study habits. I found having a laptop handy because I like to do my assignments on it, but you might be able to get away with using the uni computers. They tend to get busy though, so getting hold of a laptop would be helpful.

For books, it depends on your course. They might give you a reading list of books to get hold of before you arrive, but in my experience it's better to start the course and work out which ones will actually be useful for you. You can save a bit of money that way. As far as I know, for every course you buy your own books. They can be much cheaper if you shop around online or buy from students in the later years of your course.

And no, you shouldn't need a fridge. I've never heard of anyone struggling for room to store their stuff and I actually think there was something in our contract about not bringing them because they use a lot of electricity, I could be wrong though. I think at least one of the student houses actually has mini fridges in some of the rooms anyway though.

Hi! I will be going into on- site catered Accomodation :smile: I will be getting a laptop, don't want to risk it!! Would you also recommend getting my own small printer, just incase?

Freshers week, won't be biting a wristband, will just hopefully have a few friends and will make our own plan :smile:
Thankyou
EmmaJayne

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest