The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Revision is going well but then i start the June 2012 paper :| Question 2 is so so hard why is this happening :frown:
Generic Answers:

Why does a Dye appeared coloured whereas benzene appears colourless? 5/6 marks

1) A dye has a greater chromophore which has more delocalisation, and
2) therefore requires less energy to excite electrons
3) so can absorb light energy in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum
4) transmitting the colour complementary to that of the frequency of light absorbed.
5) Benzene has less delocalisation, so its electrons require more energy to excite
6) So absorbs light in the Ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum, which appears colourless because we cannot see UV light.
7) Delta E = hv - the frequency of light is proportional to the energy gap.

What is meant by the circular ring in the structure of benzene? 2/3 marks

1) The ring symbolises delocalised electrons
2) That exist above and below the plane of benzene/the ring of carbon atoms
3) And exist over the whole molecule (i.e they are not associated with a single atom)
4) Each carbon atom provides 1 delocalised electron

Explain the origin of colour in transition metal complexes, and why the colour varies with the nature of the ligand (5/6 marks)

1) Delta E = hv - the frequency of light absorbed is proportional to that the difference in energy levels.
2) Transition metals have partially filled d-orbitals (electrons)
3) Ligands cause splitting of the d-orbitals into higher and lower energy levels,
4) When the complex absorbs a frequency of visible light it promotes an electron into the higher energy level
5) Transmitting the colour complementary to that of the frequency of light absorbed
6) Different ligands cause different amounts of splitting = altered differences in energy levels of the d-orbitals.

Describe how you could use a colorimeter to determine the concentraion of X in a sample 5 marks

1) Zero the colorimeter using a cuvette containing distilled water
2) Find a filter that is the complementary colour to that of the sample
3) Make a range of solutions of concentrations above and below that of the sample (by dilution)
4) Measure the absorbance of these solutions
5) Plot a graph of absorbance vs concentration
6) Draw a calibration curve
7) Measure absorbance of sample and read concentration from calibration curve.

Describe how you could purify a sample of X 4/5 marks

1) Find a suitable solvent that a the solid is very soluble in at high temperatures, but is almost insoluble in at low temperatures
2) Dissolve solid in a minimum quantity of hot solvent
3) Cool the sample
4) Filter, and retain fitrate
5) Wash and dry to obtain pure crystals.

Describe how you could use thin-laye chromatography to show X and Y are present in a sample 4/5 marks

1) Draw pencil line 1cm above the bottom of the TLC plate and place sample spots on line
2) Place TLC plate in beaker of solvent, ensuring that solvent doesnt reach the pencil line
3) Cover beaker, and allow time for solvent to rise up TLC plate
4) When solvent reaches the top of the TLC plate, remove plate and dry
5) Apply locating agent (UV light, ninhydrin)
6) Calculate rf value = Distance moved by spot/Distance moved my solvent and compare with known rf values.

Explain the meaning of the term buffer solution and explain its use. 4/5 marks

1) A solution that resists small changes in pH
2) Despite addition of small amounts of acid/alkali
3) Reservoir of [A-]
4) Buffer solutions are useful in instances such as the body
5) Where a required pH is required to be maintained - such as that of the environment that enzymes are found in to prevent the disruption of ionic bonds.
Original post by RainieXD
Ohhhh! Thank you so muchhh !!!!
Though I'm quite unsure about the weak acid... how would you know if it's a weak acid or not??:confused:

A weak acid partially dissociates in water, it is in equilibrium with its salt and protons.
OK need help with Q2 June 2012.

Why is CO2 the product in A i, why isn't it methanoic acid.

Why is the answer what it is and not an anhydride in e).

Why is the product ammonia G iv.

Thanks!
Reply 324
Original post by billybobs
Generic Answers:

these are awesome thanks! :smile:
Reply 325
For hydrogen bonding the marks heme says the bond should be O-H-O in straight line but for N-H would it be N-H-O?
Reply 326
Original post by Salmonidae
OK need help with Q2 June 2012.

Why is CO2 the product in A i, why isn't it methanoic acid.

Why is the answer what it is and not an anhydride in e).

Why is the product ammonia G iv.

Thanks!

Just did that paper and got the same answers as you!
Edit:
For 2a(i) you start with C4H6O5 and end up with C3H6O3 so you can see that CO2 is lost
(edited 10 years ago)
Also in question 3/e iv How has glycerin have 4 peaks when there are clearly not 4 electron environment?? (JUN 13)
Reply 328
A weak acid partially dissociates in water, it is in equilibrium with its salt and protons.

Ahhh thank you haha feel dumb for asking that now haha ^^! Rep for you :3
Reply 329
Generic Answers:

Why does a Dye appeared coloured whereas benzene appears colourless? 5/6 marks

1) A dye has a greater chromophore which has more delocalisation, and
2) therefore requires less energy to excite electrons
3) so can absorb light energy in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum
4) transmitting the colour complementary to that of the frequency of light absorbed.
5) Benzene has less delocalisation, so its electrons require more energy to excite
6) So absorbs light in the Ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum, which appears colourless because we cannot see UV light.
7) Delta E = hv - the frequency of light is proportional to the energy gap.

What is meant by the circular ring in the structure of benzene? 2/3 marks

1) The ring symbolises delocalised electrons
2) That exist above and below the plane of benzene/the ring of carbon atoms
3) And exist over the whole molecule (i.e they are not associated with a single atom)
4) Each carbon atom provides 1 delocalised electron

Explain the origin of colour in transition metal complexes, and why the colour varies with the nature of the ligand (5/6 marks)

1) Delta E = hv - the frequency of light absorbed is proportional to that the difference in energy levels.
2) Transition metals have partially filled d-orbitals (electrons)
3) Ligands cause splitting of the d-orbitals into higher and lower energy levels,
4) When the complex absorbs a frequency of visible light it promotes an electron into the higher energy level
5) Transmitting the colour complementary to that of the frequency of light absorbed
6) Different ligands cause different amounts of splitting = altered differences in energy levels of the d-orbitals.

Describe how you could use a colorimeter to determine the concentraion of X in a sample 5 marks

1) Zero the colorimeter using a cuvette containing distilled water
2) Find a filter that is the complementary colour to that of the sample
3) Make a range of solutions of concentrations above and below that of the sample (by dilution)
4) Measure the absorbance of these solutions
5) Plot a graph of absorbance vs concentration
6) Draw a calibration curve
7) Measure absorbance of sample and read concentration from calibration curve.

Describe how you could purify a sample of X 4/5 marks

1) Find a suitable solvent that a the solid is very soluble in at high temperatures, but is almost insoluble in at low temperatures
2) Dissolve solid in a minimum quantity of hot solvent
3) Cool the sample
4) Filter, and retain fitrate
5) Wash and dry to obtain pure crystals.

Describe how you could use thin-laye chromatography to show X and Y are present in a sample 4/5 marks

1) Draw pencil line 1cm above the bottom of the TLC plate and place sample spots on line
2) Place TLC plate in beaker of solvent, ensuring that solvent doesnt reach the pencil line
3) Cover beaker, and allow time for solvent to rise up TLC plate
4) When solvent reaches the top of the TLC plate, remove plate and dry
5) Apply locating agent (UV light, ninhydrin)
6) Calculate rf value = Distance moved by spot/Distance moved my solvent and compare with known rf values.

Explain the meaning of the term buffer solution and explain its use. 4/5 marks

1) A solution that resists small changes in pH
2) Despite addition of small amounts of acid/alkali
3) Reservoir of [A-]
4) Buffer solutions are useful in instances such as the body
5) Where a required pH is required to be maintained - such as that of the environment that enzymes are found in to prevent the disruption of ionic bonds.

Are you sure we need to know the experimental techniques? They're not in the F335 spec.
Original post by AmirHabeeb
Are you sure we need to know the experimental techniques? They're not in the F335 spec.

Indeed they aren't, but I just thought I'd throw them in anyways!

I just found a question on what's required for Gas Liquid chromatography, from the June 2008 design paper, although it is the old spec.
Reply 332
guys, why do you get different shades of colours in compounds?
Reply 333
I just found a question on what's required for Gas Liquid chromatography, from the June 2008 design paper, although it is the old spec.

Gas liquid is part of the F335 spec- what question was that because I was gonna ask you to add it to your generic answers :P

But we're expected to know all the experimental techniques for this unit anyway as it's the final unit and very synoptic
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tikara
Gas liquid is part of the F335 spec- what question was that because I was gonna ask you to add it to your generic answers :P

But we're expected to know all the experimental techniques for this unit anyway as it's the final unit and very synoptic

Sample X is injected into the carrier gas stream and passes into the column of the gas-liquid chromatograph,

Describe the contents of the column, how the temp is maintained, the measurement that distinguishes the gases.

1) The column consists of a high boiling point liquid
2) that is spread upon a porous support.
3) The temp is maintained using a thermostatically controlled oven.
4) The retention time is used to distinguish between different gases.
5) QOWC
Reply 335
I dont understand jan 2011, question 2 d).

Its asking for an energy level diagram to show why;

- atomic emmision spec of Cu consists of a series of lines
- the lines of arsenic spec are at different frequencies.

I know why I just dont know how I would draw a diagram to show this.. anyone have any idea?!

thanks
Reply 336
Sample X is injected into the carrier gas stream and passes into the column of the gas-liquid chromatograph,

Describe the contents of the column, how the temp is maintained, the measurement that distinguishes the gases.

1) The column consists of a high boiling point liquid
2) that is spread upon a porous support.
3) The temp is maintained using a thermostatically controlled oven.
4) The retention time is used to distinguish between different gases.
5) QOWC

your the best thanks :biggrin:

Can anyone explain these points on the spec? I don't completely know all of them :frown:(

i) functional groups that modify the chromophore
ii) functional groups that affect solubility of the dye
iii) functional groups that allow the dye to bond to fibres

Main one I don't get is i) though what functional groups can you add to modify the chromophore?
Reply 337
Original post by gstarwill

I know why I just dont know how I would draw a diagram to show this.. anyone have any idea?!

thanks

Atomic emission spectra are from f331 or f332 I can't remember anyways someone has done a good diagram earlier in this thread hold on I'll find it :P
Original post by gstarwill

thanks

This is synoptic content from unit 1,

Recall that atomic emission spectrum is a black background with coloured lines.

You have to draw a energy levelled diagram, that shows energy levels that get closer together at higher energy levels, with electrons being promoted from ground state to higher energy levels, and then being demoted back down to ground state.

Similar to the one shown below

The lines of arsenic are at different frequencies because it has a different electron configuration, so therefore electrons require a different amount of energy to excite.atomspec.gif
Reply 339

This is a synoptic paper so basically anything from AS and A2 can come up in it

Latest

Trending

Trending