The Student Room Group

Advanced higher Chemistry Investigation?

Hi! I'm going to be starting my AH chemistry course in August and I'm kinda worried about the project/investigation part of it! I've sat credit chemistry (1), Int 2 (A), and higher (predicted A) so I have a good knowledge but i have no idea where to start when it comes to picking what to do!

My teacher said to try and come up with ideas now so we're prepared for August but I have no idea where to even begin!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Or can anyone explain the course to me a bit more?

Thanks xo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nessie162
x

Original post by emmagn
x

It's a bit early to start worrying over it, you've not even got your higher results yet :tongue: Don't do vitamin C, aspirin, paracetamol or iron tablets-they are so overdone. Try and do something different, have a browse around the internet.

As for explaining the course- unit 1 is half of a unit because the other half is your investigation-you get a certain number of class hours to dedicate to your investigation but its not nearly enough time, most of it will be done in your own time. You have to write a diary of your experiments etc and hand it in, it's marked as a nab. Unit 2 & Unit 3 are bigger because they're full units.

Anything specific you want to know just ask me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by deedee123
It's a bit early to start worrying over it, you've not even got your higher results yet :tongue: Don't do vitamin C, aspirin, paracetamol or iron tablets-they are so overdone. Try and do something different, have a browse around the internet.

Our teacher says they are good ones because if you keep it simple, you are more likely to do well. Therefore she recommends vitamin C and paracetamol. I haven't really gave it much thought, I'll look into it more soon!
Original post by CSM1996
Our teacher says they are good ones because if you keep it simple, you are more likely to do well. Therefore she recommends vitamin C and paracetamol. I haven't really gave it much thought, I'll look into it more soon!

Wine Analysis is the easiest investigation evar :wink:
2nd day of Chemistry and I already need help... :frown:

ΔE=hcλ\Delta E = h \frac{\mathrm c}{\mathrm \lambda}

My teacher wrote the equation above on the board and somehow he changed it to this:

ΔEkλ\Delta E \propto \frac{\mathrm k}{\mathrm \lambda}

How did he do it? What does the \propto mean and what does the kk stand for?

Thanks

\propto = means that the energy change is proportial to ΔEkλ\Delta E \propto \frac{\mathrm k}{\mathrm \lambda} In this case the change in energy is inversely proportial to the wavelength (i.e as lambda gets bigger, the energy change gets smaller, experiment with this yourself if you wish)

Now, the k part is just simply a constant. This specific constant being h x c or plancks constant multiplied by the speed of light. They mean the same.

The most important thing you have to remember from this section is to remember this equation ΔE=Lhcλ\Delta E = \frac{Lhc}{\lambda} where L is avagadro's number, h is plancks constant, c is the speed of light (note that these are all constants) and lambda is the wavelength of the wave :smile:
Thank You :smile:

Spoiler

No problem! :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 6
I'm thinking of doing the investigation "Determining the mass of iron in iron tablets". For this I would carry out a titration, but after once I got the solution that has been formed after titration would I use colorimetry to determine the mass of iron (using the calibration graph) or would the titration give me the results? Any help from anyone who has done this experiment would be great! Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by CSM1996
I'm thinking of doing the investigation "Determining the mass of iron in iron tablets". For this I would carry out a titration, but after once I got the solution that has been formed after titration would I use colorimetry to determine the mass of iron (using the calibration graph) or would the titration give me the results? Any help from anyone who has done this experiment would be great! Thank you!

i've not done iron tablets but i did something similar. The titration will give you the results, you work it out using the average titre and your balanced equations along with the mass of the table etc. You could consider colorimetry as another method though.
Reply 8
i've not done iron tablets but i did something similar. The titration will give you the results, you work it out using the average titre and your balanced equations along with the mass of the table etc. You could consider colorimetry as another method though.

Would it be better to do both titration and colorimetry because doing a couple of titrations doesn't seem like a lot...
Reply 9
Original post by CSM1996
Would it be better to do both titration and colorimetry because doing a couple of titrations doesn't seem like a lot...

Yeah, you should try and get 3 or 4 different methods otherwise you won't have enough to write about.
Reply 10
Yeah, you should try and get 3 or 4 different methods otherwise you won't have enough to write about.

Hm I need to think of another method then :frown: But thank you for your help!!
Reply 11
My class has already chosen our investigations! I am doing Organic Unknowns, but have no idea how to prepare a method for this until I have the substances! Any ideas please?? We have to have our methods sorted by the time we get back!
Original post by JTR__
My class has already chosen our investigations! I am doing Organic Unknowns, but have no idea how to prepare a method for this until I have the substances! Any ideas please?? We have to have our methods sorted by the time we get back!

what exactly are you doing?
Reply 13
what exactly are you doing?

My teacher will provide me with two samples, one liquid, one solid, and I have to work out what they are... Apart from that, everything is up to me, and I have no clue where to start! :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by TheFOMaster
Wine Analysis is the easiest investigation evar :wink:

could you upload your wine analysis investigation please? i dont have the slightest clue where to begin haha.
Original post by RetroBhoy
could you upload your wine analysis investigation please? i dont have the slightest clue where to begin haha.

No. I can give you pointers on what to do, but I'm not going to upload my investigation.

I did a comparison into Red and White wine. What's been given to you already? I compared the wines SO_2 content, total acidity*, and the acidic composition of the two. I also could have compared the wines tannins content and something else that escapes my mind for now.

For the SO_2 content, this was simply a titration and doing some calculations to get you the total SO_2 content. I only found the total SO_2 content, had I had time I may have tried to find out the binded and unbinded SO_2 content.

For the total acidity, this was another titration and using an equation that I found online (and having to do a little substitution and changing and stuff) If I could give one tip here and one tip only it's that the normality of NaOH = number of moles. I spent hours thinking about that and making sure it was correct, so to save you the time they are equal and making the equation suitable got a lot easier once I got that mental block sorted.

The acidic composition can be found via Thin Layer Chromatography. I don't think you'll have ever encountered it before in Chemistry, but if you've done/are doing Higher Biology you may have. Either way, you'll learn about it in unit two, and I'd just leave this part till the end because it's definitely the most time consuming and boring part.

There are other things you can compare, just look for them! But thats what I done, and it should be enough. As long as you use two different experimental procedures. You may have problems with the titrations regarding the red wine, but I'll leave you to work out what to do with that yourself, since there is more than one way to deal with it. There's tonnes of experiments you can do with wine. This is what I done, and you may choose to do something different, but thats what I done, and it worked well for me. I apparently did fairly well in my investigation, 19+ according to a friend in the year below.
Hi, I'm doing wine for the investigation too and I'm trying to work out how to calculate the concentration of ethanol from ABV. I can work out the number of moles of ethanol in the solution fine, but then I'm not sure what volume of solution to divide by to find the concentration. Does the fact that water and ethanol have different densities result in a lower/higher total volume? Thanks
Reply 17
Has anyone done an investigation on "The rate of chemical reaction"?.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've started my Chemistry Investigation and it's been going fairly well up until now. My investigation is on alums and I've derived them with different metals and analysed them but I don't feel this is enough for my project. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clues what I could do as a little added extra or something that could really bulk up my project. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Reply 19
Original post by LiamRintoul1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've started my Chemistry Investigation and it's been going fairly well up until now. My investigation is on alums and I've derived them with different metals and analysed them but I don't feel this is enough for my project. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clues what I could do as a little added extra or something that could really bulk up my project. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

heyy I did this investigation as well I found it very difficult and there's not much to write about I really wouldn't recommend this investigation to anybody:frown::frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending